Author Topic: Oscillocopes  (Read 2884 times)

Andym535

Oscillocopes
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:17:09 am »
Ever since I first came across them in the Physics lab at school I've been fascinated by oscilloscopes. No decent SciFi film or Dr Who episode would be without one displaying some sort of waveform or other.

So, I had to have at least one of those to add to my toy collection. I've recently added an automotive oscilloscope to my collection. This is a capture device and a PC program, with a load of car/bike/lawnmower specific probes and tests. It can give an alternative view to that from a GS-911, which is great for telling you what the ECU thinks is happening. As an example, you can get the dwell time from the GS-911 but it had no way of knowing what the burn time is. This is a secondary ignition trace taken using a COP probe held over the #4 coil on my K1300S.

It would be interesting to see what difference, if any, changing the plugs makes or if this can detect a failing coil pack.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Oscillocopes
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:30:22 am »
Now all you need is a sonic screwdriver and a bike with a failing coil pack... ;)

Andym535

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:45:52 am »
Sonic screwdriver... maybe that’s how you’re supposed to undo screws with that stupid micro encapsulated thread lock stuff on them.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 11:55:57 am »
If ypu have a data base with readings and then investigate for a faulty coil most certainly you'll notice the defective one. But is it worth the trouble. But after all its a hobby so yes its worth any trouble , always.
Embrace the wind.

Andym535

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 06:45:48 pm »
If ypu have a data base with readings and then investigate for a faulty coil most certainly you'll notice the defective one. But is it worth the trouble. But after all its a hobby so yes its worth any trouble , always.

Some samples of good and bad to be able to compare would be useful. Getting an ignition trace isn't that much trouble as you don't need to remove the coil pack or the plug, just the fairing side panel.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 07:05:25 pm »
I have various automotive scopes but none with COP pickups.

Check the trace off your lambda sensor. That is always very informative.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 10:29:59 pm »
Check the trace off your lambda sensor. That is always very informative.

I can very well believe so ! Of my former K1300S, a coil failed. It was replaced, but 18000 km later, on a holiday trip, another coil failed. The French mechanics found out that the coil was not the only failure, and pinpointed at the failing lambda sensor. Ever since, I've always suspected that the lambda sensor had already been defective at the first coil's failure, but that it had never been noticed by my dealer's mechanics.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Andym535

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 07:57:41 pm »
This seems so unlikely that I've got to try it, just to find out if it's true or not...

Pico sell a pressure sensor, that they call the 'First Look' sensor. Basically you stick it up the exhaust or connect it to the intake manifold then look at the pressure waveform with the engine running. It, apparently, can detect problems with valves and injectors. If that is true it would be pretty interesting and with a reference waveform you could, perhaps, see if your valves really need adjustment or not without taking anything apart.

More interestingly, the Interweb suggests that you can make your own version of the sensor from a £2 piezo buzzer, some tube fittings and a hot melt glue gun. Said objects are on their way from Amazon. Place your bets on the outcome of this experiment!

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 08:24:01 pm »
I'll put my £5 on a melted sensor as the initial result.  ;D

But good luck trying it - sounds v interesting.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 08:53:32 pm by richtea »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 10:14:42 pm »
Good luck with that one.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 09:36:17 am »
I have this and would say don’t waste your time, even with your Pico connected to a 50 inch monitor, it is hard to make out any of the exhaust pulsation data, and this is with the Pico sensor.

Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 12:42:49 pm »
Aw, c'mon guys! Have a little faith.

I say it will work brilliantly and we'll all want on. Or two if they do melt but work for a pico-second...