Author Topic: Garmin wiring  (Read 5145 times)

Offline TA

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2009 K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Power Commander Fuel controller, custom leather seat, LED running lights, SW Motech crash bars with highway pegs, lowered foot pegs
Re: Garmin wiring
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 04:47:15 pm »
 No, the bike was not running, just the ignition was turned on.  I just did run the bike and the number two still is current free.  All this electronic wizardry is wonderful.  But for me when things don't work, it’s just beyond my practical intuition. 
I have a cheap little electrical meter that I have mostly used for continuity.  So I’m not confident in reading the information it’s giving.  But it looks like there are about 12+ volts on the number three wire before the inline thingamagig to the gps.   At the mount it looks like about 5 volts. 

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 06:04:22 pm »
12v at the bike and 5v at the mount sounds right. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:28:00 am by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TA

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Power Commander Fuel controller, custom leather seat, LED running lights, SW Motech crash bars with highway pegs, lowered foot pegs
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 06:24:38 pm »
Yes, with the engine running all remained the same.  12 - 5 on the three wire and nothing still on the number two.  This is all done without the garmin in the mount, just seeing what the wires are doing. 

Offline TA

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 06:27:23 pm »
I’m repeating myself, didn’t notice there is now a page 2.  But I repeat that I appreciate the consideration all are giving. 

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 07:34:38 am »
It may just be that the ECU doesn't send send a voltage to the switched live unless:

1. It detects something at the end of it;
2. the permanently live circuit is not on in use;

All guess work at the moment! Assuming you want the switched live option I'd be tempted to wire it up accordingly and put the Garmin on the cradle to see what happens. All 3 of my K's "just worked" using the switched live and ground connections so I tend to think it's unlikely to be the bike and you may just be over thinking it.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline TA

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 11:56:15 am »
Yes black-k1, good thoughts.  As far as I can tell, I’ve done the connections correctly.  I’ve closed her up and wii see if it is adopted by the electronics. 

These gps units are packed with information.  At this point, not sure I’ll have a use for a good part of it.  I am the last of my ridding buddies to have one of these units.  Maps have served me just fine.  But last summer there were two different occasions that broke down my resistance.  One was in a very rural area we needed a hospital.  The little thing took us right to the front door.  The other time was needing to cross through Seattle, east to west at rush hour to catch a ferry.  Same thing, not a wrong turn and right to the ticket booth.  So maps can still have their place.  A mental landscape is given and you just ride with no distractions.  But where there is a specific destination beyond my knowledge or memory’s capability, this little thing will be handy.  I guess I could look at it as a piece of safety gear. 

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 04:06:08 pm »
The best use of Sat Nav I've found is in plotting very specific routes, ensuring I get on the exact roads, for "fun" days out. I've often been surprised,especially in rural France or Spain, when the Sat Nav has directed me down what initially looks like a drive or a farm road, only for it to open out into a superb bit of biking tarmac.

I use site like BestBikingRoads.com with MyRouteApp to define specific routes then load them into the Sat Nav. I've rarely been disappointed, especially when riding in areas I'm not familiar with.

The speed camera  safety zone warnings are also extremely helpful. Paper maps don't do that for you! ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 01:20:49 pm »
The best use of Sat Nav I've found is in plotting very specific routes, ensuring I get on the exact roads, for "fun" days out. I've often been surprised,especially in rural France or Spain, when the Sat Nav has directed me down what initially looks like a drive or a farm road, only for it to open out into a superb bit of biking tarmac.

OR, in the case of YOUR sat nav, a goat track over a mountain, impassable on large sports tourers  ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 01:26:43 pm »
Another great idea thwarted at source.

Just nipped out to the garage armed with my multimeter and tweezers to extract the sat nav connector and test it for you.

Mine is bolted directly across the battery so I don't use the adaptor cable but I figured I could get into the socket. Wrong!

The pins and sockets are minute and the probes on my meter won't get anywhere near the live bits.

I'll have to dig out my sewing kit and see if I have some tiny needles...