Author Topic: New to BMW  (Read 8452 times)

Charlie farley

New to BMW
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:29:38 pm »
Hi all had my first bm about 3 weeks k1200 gt se , I've been riding 35 yrs mostly big tourers I also have a early vrod but never ride it and cant bring myself to sell it . Bike before the k was a triumph r3 but i won't go there publicly.
Im located in Newmarket suffolk uk.
all the best,
charlie

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
Re: New to BMW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:11:09 pm »
Hi Charlie and welcome to the forum!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:25:58 pm »
Hello Charlie thank you for the introduction and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.
Would you be kind enough to put the information you have given us in your profile.
I will add you to the members map.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 07:41:40 pm »
Hi Charlie and welcome to the madhouse, had a VROD myself then decided to follow my orthopedist's suggestion and sold it.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 07:53:32 pm »
Hi Mate,welcome,  really like Newmarket, was there last year visiting the Racing Museum and the missus old Racing School.
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 10:16:08 pm »

Hi Charlie and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub.

Never been a fan of the V-Rod, but that puts me in a very large majority  8) As one who held on to a 1987 Honda for 25 years, despite never riding it, I can offer you one piece of advice; sell it. The money is worth much more than your sentiments!

Brian (who has half a K12S thanks to selling his sentimentally valuable Honda and who is much happier with it, thank you very much)

Charlie farley

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:53:55 pm »
Thanks for the welcome and advice about my vrod ,each to there own and I happen to be quite attached to it and the k has some interesting quirks about it as well.
Charlie

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 10:51:36 am »
First BM in 35 years :o that's both a sheltered life and a steep learning curve

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 09:42:19 pm »
I think that's why he's on this forum, to come into the sun that is BMW and ease the curve of learning  ;)
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline Niall

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08 K12GT SE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: More lights than a mod scooter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 11:42:38 pm »
Hi all had my first bm about 3 weeks k1200 gt se , I've been riding 35 yrs mostly big tourers I also have a early vrod but never ride it and cant bring myself to sell it . Bike before the k was a triumph r3 but i won't go there publicly.
Im located in Newmarket suffolk uk.
all the best,
charlie

Drive Rav 4's?
Sospes persantas? Age! Fac ut diem...

Charlie farley

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2015, 07:20:56 am »
Drive Rav 4's?
No I don't drive little 4x4s as im not a hairdresser, chrysler 300c tourning currently.  ::)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 10:04:09 am »
Welcome, Charlie! I can understand why you want to hold on to the V-Rod. I've never had a Harley but from what I hear, the V-Rod blows lots of the critics into the weeds on several counts! As you say, the K has its foibles too, some of them potentially expensive.

Charlie farley

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 11:46:44 am »
Thanks for the welcome, my k has been at the dealers for 1 week out of 3 already to have new timing chain,sprockets and tensioner also a new clutch pack that still feels grunchy at the bite point but it's on a years warranty so we will have to see. :) 

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 11:58:42 am »
And the famous chain guard I presume.
Will they replace the clutch pump too?
Embrace the wind.

Charlie farley

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 06:27:21 pm »
Well its had the new tensioner with the pot on top I've had a look (trusting sole I am) they tell me it has got the chain jump thingy , clutch makes a horrible noise and find out today the gps power socket ain't working it did before they pluged the dodad into it , so back to ****** bmw so it can be put right notof to a very good start IMHO  :-\