Author Topic: 2005 K1200S plastic noise when riding, driving me nuts  (Read 2389 times)

Offline marcus

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
2005 K1200S plastic noise when riding, driving me nuts
« on: July 15, 2021, 08:59:54 am »
Ok , maybe some of you have had this  problem also ? I have this annoying plastic on plastic  rattle , coming from under my seat when the bike travels over bumps ect on the road,  I have looked all over the rear of the bike , thought it was the ecu rattling in its recess, the plastic clip and screw that secures it was missing so purchased that, thinking job done  ..... wrong, looked everywhare under the bike for missing screws fittings ect  checking plastic under trays ect, nothing looks odd or out of place, checked to see if rear hugger was the cause of the problem, seems fine to me, I removed the rear light to check the rear subframe and passanger hand rail mounts, one bolt missing,  thought yes found it ..... but alast..... no, still got this bloody plastic rattle, doing my head in so it is . Looking and hitting the rear plastic covers around the grab rails, its the same kind of sound, the panels to me look to be sitting very close to the grab rail and the black under covers, so my question is there supposed to be some kind of rubber spacers on the torques bolts that fit the rear panels to the rear subframe., its about the only thing I can think of , any help or info would be great

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Re: 2005 K1200S plastic noise when riding, driving me nuts
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 09:44:18 am »
I think on mine it's the front mudguard that rattles on rough tarmac, but haven't investigated other than checking the bolts are tight.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 10:37:04 am »
I think on mine it's the front mudguard that rattles on rough tarmac, but haven't investigated other than checking the bolts are tight.

Agreed. It's worse with an extender too.
That's not under the seat, but then again, it's an easy one to eliminate from your testing by removing the mudguard and trying again.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 10:44:25 am »
could it be the cam chain tensioner?   i never had it but read about it here somewhere.
something else to try would me to find a good steep hill and roll down it... no engine no helmet and listen, wiggle it about and bounce up and down might help identify the noise.... even better than shaking the bike as much as possible in the yard.
nothings impossible but if you haven't had the plastics off i wouldn't think they'd be rattling, shock bushes perhaps or a bit of road debris stuck somewhere. warped brake disc can leave your pads rattling....get the rattle and lightly brake, if it quietens immediately you have it.   
i'm just throwing ideas out there now but sound travels and the source can be hard to pin point.... which you don't need told.
best of luck anyway

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 02:34:08 pm »
My vote's on the mudguard extender if you have one. Happens to me all the time.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 05:07:32 pm »
Check clip to the air sensor didnt break and its rattling around the fairing. Its located just under the LH snorkel. Mine broke it clip & was dangling down, getting very warm & messing the fuelling up a bit.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 06:34:04 pm »
Check clip to the air sensor didnt break and its rattling around the fairing. Its located just under the LH snorkel. Mine broke it clip & was dangling down, getting very warm & messing the fuelling up a bit.

And if so, affix it to the fairing with a cable tie (which begs the question why aren't they tied on anyway?! Crazy)

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 07:54:43 pm »
The aforementioned clip is molded into the inside of the fairing, where it transitions from vertical clip to horizontal bracket it's a sharp 90 degree angle. Designed in stress raiser, thought the Herman's knew their stuff. You wouldn't get a British manufacturer making something designed to fail like that. Would you Mr Garner  ::)

Offline alancu

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R Lava Orange "Piglet"
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic 'zorst, Limberger Hugger, custom GPS mount, BMW panniers, motech rack and pig ugly top box when needs must, a few other trinkets
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 10:54:58 pm »
admittedly this was on my K1300R but I had exactly this and in my case it was the rear hugger. It was bolted solid but as I recall there was some tweakage opportunity (ie clearance) in the bolt holes. It drove me nuts because I just couldn't reproduce it unless on the bike and on the road. In the end an intense fettling period got it right, even though it never looked like a problem and clearance seemed fine. In my case the hugger did flex, enough to touch the rear wheel but presumably only under the load of the rider being on the bike (in my case, quite some load at that :) Haven't had a peep out of it for a good few years now.

Offline marcus

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 08:25:48 am »
Sorry for the delay in replying  to everyone for there input, I knew the front fender extender rattles over bumpy  roads , , eventualy located it to rear body panels at the side of the seat , they were bolted down tight, but the plastic would flex under bumpy conditions hitting the bkack plastic panels beneath them,  ...solution  a few rubber washer under the torque heads just enough to raise the panels away from the black plastic panels ...... and  boom job done ..... quiet bike ,

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 09:22:42 am »
Makes you wonder why they don’t all do it. Glad it's fixed  8)