Author Topic: 'Auto-Folding' Mirror Problem (!)  (Read 2261 times)

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
'Auto-Folding' Mirror Problem (!)
« on: August 29, 2017, 12:39:28 pm »
Hi gang

Bit of a plea for help - my mirrors have a tendency to fold back at high speed - or sometimes at a slightly lesser speed if its a bit bumpy... is there a good fix for this...?

I've had the units off and can't see any obvious 'tightening' mechanism and so am thinking I may need to bodge something involving wedging something in at the base, possibly coated in some sort of glue/fixer...
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: 'Auto-Folding' Mirror Problem (!)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 01:11:56 pm »
Check that the spring clip is located correctly.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 01:18:19 pm »
Thanks Tom - the spring clip - is that the black rubber thingummy bob that locates on the base unit and pops out and back in (in your pics you have an 'outie' and an 'innie' shown)? If so - then yep - that's in place fine.

Or are you referring to that whitish circular metal ring thing sitting under the rubber thingummy bob...?
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 01:36:08 pm »
The horrible metal spring clip is what holds it all together. It is the sort of clip that is used to hold wheels in place on kiddies bikes.

With the mirror off you should just about be able to twist the base part of the unit and it will rise about 3mm until it relocates. If the clip is not fitted correctly it will all pull apart.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:37:44 pm by TomL »
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 01:52:38 pm »
Gotchya - the metal thing under the rubber thingummybob it is then!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:25:08 am »
Careful, you'll have the ire of Bob heaped upon you if you keep taking his name in vane 🤓

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 02:24:53 pm »
Careful, you'll have the ire of Bob heaped upon you if you keep taking his name in vane 🤓
Quite rightly (bit of a trumpette there) taking my name in vain again what are we to do? Alright don't mind too much but now it's getting personal with mentions of my 'thingummy!' I mean how very dare you peeps start making extremely personal remarks about the size/colour and consistency of my thingummy, have you ever seen it I may ask? Do you want to see it?

TGBob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 09:35:29 pm »
I've got piccies! In colour! Any takers?