Author Topic: Don't forget to adjust your chain.  (Read 6030 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Don't forget to adjust your chain.
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 10:45:55 am »
Fair enough, I give up.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 12:08:08 pm »
Dog bone link item 7
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Andym535

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 12:55:26 pm »
Item 5 is closest to what I'd call the dog bone. The more common arrangement is to have two dog bones, a single triangular link casting with bearings in and a forked connector on the bottom of the shock. The K is different (surprise!) and has the bearings in a single dog bone casting and the bottom shock mount, with side plates (7).

One advantage of doing it the 'normal' way is that the cast triangular link (with the bearings) is fairly easy to get out, at least on a dirt bike, if you need to change the bearings. You can adjust the ride height by changing the length of the dog bones so another advantage of the 'normal' way is that the dog bones are often simple flat plates with a hole in each end, so they can be cheap to change.

Either way, it's worth greasing the bearings.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 01:33:32 pm »
Dog bone link item 7

No! Dog-bone link is item 5! You know, the one that looks like a dog bone  ::)

I've never seen a dog gnawing on a tringular shaped bone, but then I don't have a dog  8)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 01:56:20 pm »
Item number 5 is a Deflection Lever according to realoem
Item number 7 is a Deflection Plate

So according to BMW there is not a dog bone in sight, or a dog to gnaw it.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2019, 02:00:15 pm »
Whatever. Which bit needs bloody greasing - 'the needle rollers' which are...?  ::)
Maybe 12 & 13?

Do I need to take it apart, or do I apply from the outside?

Worried of Banbury :-)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:06:08 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2019, 04:47:10 pm »
Just spray it with WD40.

It won't do any good and if you get it on the rear tyre it might kill you but with your self-confessed mechanical skills... ::)

Someone with more patience will be along shortly to explain.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2019, 11:11:27 pm »
Dog bone link item 7

No! Dog-bone link is item 5! You know, the one that looks like a dog bone  ::)

I've never seen a dog gnawing on a tringular shaped bone, but then I don't have a dog  8)
Just testing ::) It is of course number 5.

Anyway when you crawl under there it makes more sense and there are three needle roller bearing which have to be cleaned out and packed with grease. Be careful because they tend to be dry when you take them apart the first time and you can end up with needle rollers all over the place.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 10:53:54 am »
See, I told you someone with more patience would be along shortly. Thanks Tom, now they have no excuse.

And the very thought of dry needle roller bearings sends squeaks and shivers up my spine. Literally, eventually  :o

Offline Ady00

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 04:14:04 pm »
Cows have shoulder bones that are triangle shape, just ask your local butcher dogs love them👍
Light travels faster than the speed of sound that’s why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 11:17:52 am »
Right-oh, since I'm changing my tyres this week I will repack the dogbone bearings - any idea of which type of grease? The factory manual does not say.

The factory manual does say to replace the nuts (single-use mechanical thread-lockers, BMW use them all over the place) part number 07 11 9905032 (4 required if fully disassembling).

They also say to lubricate the shorter bolt to the frame (NOT the ones on the triangular plate - why?) with Optimoly TA (aluminium paste) which is an "assembly grease" - looking online it is good up to 1100 degrees C but I'm sure my swinging arm does not get that hot..... I will use copperslip I think (EDIT - apparently copper and aluminium are not a good mix - so may have to get the TA stuff (expensive)).

All advice gladly received and sorry for the thread diversion.

A
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:24:30 am by Andysdad »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 03:56:35 pm »
You don't need high temperature grease you want one that stays put RG2 is what I use

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 08:31:08 pm »
Right-oh, since I'm changing my tyres this week I will repack the dogbone bearings - any idea of which type of grease? The factory manual does not say.

The factory manual does say to replace the nuts (single-use mechanical thread-lockers, BMW use them all over the place) part number 07 11 9905032 (4 required if fully disassembling).

They also say to lubricate the shorter bolt to the frame (NOT the ones on the triangular plate - why?) with Optimoly TA (aluminium paste) which is an "assembly grease" - looking online it is good up to 1100 degrees C but I'm sure my swinging arm does not get that hot..... I will use copperslip I think (EDIT - apparently copper and aluminium are not a good mix - so may have to get the TA stuff (expensive)).

All advice gladly received and sorry for the thread diversion.

A
coppaslip is not a lubricating grease, its an antiseize grease, plain lithium grease will do the job, personally I like grease that has a tractor on the can, it means to me that its made to do the job  :P

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 10:35:43 pm »
Doesn't every garage have a can of this on the shelf?

Halfords should have plenty of this.

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 10:57:45 pm »
Kenny, I think you’ve confused two different things. The TA paste is an antisieze for the dogbone front bolt only; I initially suggested copaslip but on further reading apparently it’s not a good idea. Something to do with water, aluminium and copper not getting on well together.

The grease is for the needle roller bearings; more reading is leading me towards a lithium complex grease or better still aluminium complex which better resist water.

Funny that you should mention tractors, JCB make a grease that looks good and is cheap, JCB Special HP. I ended up ordering the BMW Castrol TA for the bolt.

And finally, I do have a tin of Castrol LM but it was my dad's and is considerably older than the one in the above photo!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:59:46 pm by Andysdad »