Author Topic: comms collar not communicating  (Read 2155 times)

Offline iamk1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s Anniversary
  • Modifications and add-ons:: top bridge from the R model
comms collar not communicating
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:54:05 pm »
It all started when I got the C3 and got the comms collar with it. Nice concept and works well. Unless of course you do loads of miles and regularly take your helmet on and off. Out of warranty and it failed, it just wouldn't turn on. Schuberth say not repairable. I replaced it with another and all was well for another 30K miles and past the end of warranty. It was now having intermittent faults, it'd keep turning off. Soon after this the helmet was damaged in a fire so I became the owner of C3 Pro with comms. This is now showing the same faults and has been returned. Schuberth say 'no faults'. Getting pretty cheesed off with this I did some research and opened up one of the old ones to investigate. I've found the fault, the ribbon cable connecting the two circuit boards needed replacing. Job done, the old one is working like new again. I've done about 1500 miles in the last few weeks and given it a good shake down, no probs.
So, does anyone else have a failed comms unit they want to get working again? I may be able to help, or am I alone on this one.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: comms collar not communicating
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 01:11:57 pm »
Nice one Charlie and I applaud you for posting it up.

I think most folks go with generic i/comms that can be moved from helmet to helmet rather than proprietary ones.

Brian (who is always delighted when someone beats the system  :o )

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 01:39:43 pm »
I would like to know how to fit an aerial connector to the original collar so that I can connect up to the aerial connection in my C3 Pro.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline iamk1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s Anniversary
  • Modifications and add-ons:: top bridge from the R model
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 07:23:16 am »
I've told myself I'm never going to buy another of these (after my wife pointed out how much it's all cost). Bad idea to buy anything that ties you into getting the same replacement, either comms or the helmet.
TomL,  you can easily extend the aerial in the original. All you do is solder a wire to the braiding that runs from side to side and then route that around inside the helmet. It does improve reception. I'm not sure about the connection already in the pro, I'll have a look but I think that also serves as an antenae for the comms.