Author Topic: Vacuum filling coolant system  (Read 6544 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Vacuum filling coolant system
« on: January 01, 2018, 12:30:58 am »
Last week Rae asked if I could replace the photos on this post which had been so kindly withdrawn by Photobucket. Unfortunately they were no longer on Photobucket and even after much searching I could not find them. Today I was looking for some other photos and woe and behold I find these photos so here you go.

This is how I replace the coolant in my bike. There are no doubt other ways to do it but this is the way I sorted out way back when.

To carry out jobs such as changing spark plugs and checking valve clearances, the radiator has to be removed. On our bikes it is necessary to refill the coolant using a vacuum filling system so as to remove all air locks.

The equipment that I use is a part of a Draper Cooling System Vacuum Purge and Refill Kit 09544, a Pela 6000 Spherical Oil Extractor.

The bike is placed on the side stand and the overflow hose from the coolant reservoir is blanked off (under the LH footrest) and the hose from the radiator neck is clamped off. The adaptor with the correct size rubber sealing ring is placed into the radiator neck and expanded to form a good seal.

The hose from the Pela pump is connected to the radiator adaptor, and a vacuum of 60mmHg is created in the engine cooling system.  You will find that the bottom hose will suck flat. This is about the maximum vacuum that can be achieved. The turncock valve is closed off sealing the vacuum into the engine cooling system. If all is well the vacuum should not reduce, i.e. there are no leaks.

The vacuum hose from the Pela pump is removed and the coolant suction hose is placed into the premixed coolant container and connected to the radiator adaptor. The coolant container is mounted higher than the motorcycle.

The turncock valve on the radiator adaptor is then opened and the coolant will slowly transfer from the container to the engine cooling system. As the vacuum goes down the coolant goes from the container to the motorcycle. Leave the coolant container and hose in position. There should still be sufficient coolant in the hose above the radiator adaptor to replace coolant removed when bleeding the system.

You then need to go to the other side of the motorcycle and loosen the 16mm hexagonal bleed connector. Once the air is pushed out coolant should come out and the 16mm plastic bleed valve can be tightened up.

Now the air has to be bled from the water pump bleed nipple. This can be done with the Pela extractor but I use a Mityvac. I find that I get better results if I put a layer of PTFE tape on the nipple threads before starting the job. When air bubbles no longer come out with the coolant, the bleeding is complete.

Remove the radiator adaptor and top up the radiator to the bottom of the filler neck. Refit the radiator cap and remove the hose clamp. Fill the reservoir to the correct level and refit the filler cap. Remove the reservoir overflow hose clamp. Job done.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline KTM AL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT Wifes & 1300FJR Mine
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Leo Vince end can
Re: Vacuum filling coolant system
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:47:56 am »
Thank you Rae and Tom for that .

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:10:52 am »
Yes, thanks Rae & Tom.

As they say, a picture says a thousand words.

Should get around to this job in a few weeks.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 07:37:56 pm »
The bike is placed on the side stand and the overflow hose from the coolant reservoir is blanked off (under the LH footrest)
. If I remember there are three hoses that come out under the LH footrest. The one that has to be blocked off comes from the coolant reservoir neck and can be found by blowing an airline down the hole from the neck of the reservoir.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline pipwidge

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2006
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:09:04 am »
thanks for taking the time to replace the photos,,,   ;)  pictures are where i am at  :-[