Author Topic: Quick & Easy in-depth electronic diagnosis for CHEAP  (Read 19727 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Quick & Easy in-depth electronic diagnosis for CHEAP
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2018, 11:49:34 am »
I have copied this from the BM Riders forum, it might be of use.

I bought a icom lead from chinacardiag. This is not fully wired as only 6 cores are connected, but it includes the 5 needed for the 2010 1200RT twin cam. This took about 3 weeks to come but you may get a uk supplied one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222217705817

And a lead k-Dcan cable from bcables in the uk this comes with a load of software but this does not cover motorcycles. Other cables are available but this one works for me and was delivered very quickly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162154528098

I bought Ista d from https://diagnose-software.myshopify.com ... 6325266183. This is the full BMW diagnostic package and covers bikes up to Jan 2016 and most BMW cars as well.

This is a digital download and is massive. The instructions are correct but not the easiest to follow. I used Jdownloader
and it takes a couple of hours, you need a fair amount of free space on your hard drive,

Diagnose faults, callibrate your screen! Callibrate your idle valves, callibrate your fuel strip apparantly and even reset your service indicator. All for under £60.

Once loaded the only problem I had was solved by changing the com port in device manager.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2018, 11:50:44 am »
Wow Rae, this makes it seem as though you have following the thread....

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2018, 11:56:03 am »
I have followed it, I just didn't understand most of it  :-[

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2018, 05:04:41 pm »
And I followed it, thought I did understand most of it. But apparently, I don't get it working anyway. Looks like I'm a dumb smartass...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Ian Jay

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2018, 05:12:02 pm »
I was looking around for a GS-911 the other day.  This sounds like an excellent alternative, thanks for the info!
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there are vitamins, in water - bacteria!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2018, 05:16:33 pm »
And I followed it, thought I did understand most of it. But apparently, I don't get it working anyway. Looks like I'm a dumb smartass...

We love smartasses in here, dumb or otherwise. It all brings a sense of superiority to the place so keep it up...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2018, 07:47:54 pm »
Well done, Rae! You do understand, you just pretend not to. :-)

My two cables didn't work - well, not to the point of connecting to the bike succsesfully. Still not really sure why.
So I've 'invested' in a Bluetooth OBD dongle doo daah to replace the potentially less-than-perfect cable. This eliminates 1 cable and 1 relatively poorly supported PC software.

The Bluetooth one is easy to connect to an Android. Supposedly.

It should be here tomorrow.

I will keep you updated on progress. If the stars align, and it works, I'll post the sources for the two bits, so others have at least a chance of success too.
But don't hold your breath. It's a defo a bit trial and error.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2018, 11:27:56 pm »
OK - some success  ;D 8)

What do I have? Something that connects my Android to the Onboard Diagnostics (aka OBD), and costs considerably cheaper than a GS-911 thingummie.
And probably not nearly as useful, but I'll leave that up to smarter people who have a GS-911 to tell me what's there, and what's missing.

Three things needed:

1. A cable to convert from the round BMW connector to the more standard (up to date?) OBD2 connector that most cars have. This is the one I bought, and it's UK sourced:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-ICOM-D-Cable-ICOM-D-Motorcycles-Motobikes-Diagnostic-Cable-OBD2-Diagnose/322445739622

2. OBD2 dongle. I went to the US* for this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-BAFX-ELM327-Bluetooth-OBD-2-CAN-V1-5-Scan-Tool-Android-OBD-Reader-Scanner/251488093341
There are many choices much cheaper than this at £6 or so on eBay, but from a read around, it's buyer beware - hence going the US route.
Note this one is Bluetooth - so for iPhone you'll need to get one which has a WiFi interface instead. Good old Apple  ;D

3. An app/program to talk to the dongle - £2.95:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_GB

Output:
- some shiny pseudo-dials (temp, revs, intake temp, etc)
- a list of sensors

It claims to show fault codes, but I have no faults. So no positive proof that the fault finding works, or is comprehensive.

App shots:

Cable + dongle:

It's not that fast to update, which I think is Carl0s' original point - maybe 2-3 times per second.
But it's interesting.

*Importing into the UK adds £11.95 onto the price, because $21.95 US just over the £15 max that UK customs & excise allow. I recommend asking the US supplier if he could drop his price by $2, or at least write $20 US on the label round the outside of the box.

That's enough for tonight.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:14:35 pm by richtea »

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2018, 10:51:25 am »
Nice ! If it works with this bluetooth dongle and Android, I think it should be possible to get the same hardware to work with this testo tool. If it were just obvious...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2018, 11:24:21 am »
Can't say if it throws a fault code but you could try removing the front position (parking light/position light) bulb as the simplest step to see if it does give one.

PS Nice work Richard and well done for explaining it in plain bar room English. I applaud you.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2019, 05:28:04 pm »
Richard, did you get to the point of getting this testo to work ? You at least had a connection to your ECU with the Android app, it should be possible to have it working with testo, I guess ?

Asking this because I'm taking this up once more. As my (bluetooth) OBDII dongle hadn't worked last year, and my bike is sold in the meantime, I recently gave this another try with my VFR (also equipped with a K-Line, just like the K1300S). Didn't work either. So then I had my chip tested with an Android app called "ELM327 Identifier". Guess what. My OBDII adapter is a Chinese clone. These Chinese, again. Brian knows what I'm talking of (he may have got that Chinese dashcam to a workable state, but on 2 of my bikes it only worked every now and then, by accident). But this now is the second time these sliteyes (got this word from Google Translate, hope it's clear what I mean) got me by my b.lls.

So I'll soon have a decent ELM327- based OBDII bluetooth dongle, and give this a new try. No-one said it was going to be easy, so I'm persisting...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2019, 07:41:35 pm »
Hello Philippe,

Here's the history:

1. First try (this thread - page 3) : Testo never worked, unfortunately.
It involved two cables to get from the OBD II to USB, plus the free Testo software.
The cable LEDs suggested the cable was correctly wired, but the software didn't seem to respond to even basic stuff.

Cost: about £40 - £20 for the two cables.

2. Second try (this thread - message above) - a 'one-step-up-from-Chinese' US Bluetooth ODBII dongle called BAFX + basic Android app.
The dongle wasn't quite good enough - still an ELM 327 copy, but a good one.
The problem with this was that the copy chipset doesn't support long OBD II messages that are used for some of the advanced but vital functions such as fault clearing and service resets.

Cost: Bluetooth dongle £22 + £3 for app (& re-use the OBD cable from first try above)

3. Third try (screenshots and write up here) - SUCCESS! (with a few exceptions, if you read the message)
This is the dongle (genuine ELM 327 chipset):
https://www.scantool-direct.co.uk/bmw-gs-rs-rt-f-k-series-motorcycle-obd-kit-bluetooth-and-10-pin-adapter1.html
This is the app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.wgsoft.motoscan&hl=en_US

Cost: Bluetooth dongle £65 + £35 for app (& re-use the OBD cable from first try above)

The cost went up yet again, but it works well - probably not the complete GS9111 feature set, but plenty good enough for me. The dongle works with cheaper apps, but you may not get all the features. It's best to try the freebie version of any app first - to check your dongle is good.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2019, 11:02:06 am »
Thank you very much, Richard, the adapter you mention was the one I intended to buy soon. I had found it here, a little cheaper so to see. Anyhow, I'm quite helped with your input, and am now 100% sure it works with Android OBDII apps (over bluetooth), so it will most likely also work with testo.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2019, 02:41:30 pm »
That's an excellent price, Philippe, I agree.