Author Topic: R1200RS test ride review  (Read 7415 times)

Offline alpinebiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
R1200RS test ride review
« on: April 30, 2016, 09:37:07 am »
I have a confession to make, I don’t much like twin cylinder bikes!

Although I’ve ridden some rather fine ones such as Ducati’s 851, 748, 916, 996, 998 and Multistrada, the BMW HP2, an Aprilia RSV Mille, and the Guzzi Stelvio and 1100 Sport, I have to confess I’m not a fan. Of the 65 bikes I’ve ridden only 17 have been twins, so what’s the problem? Well for some reason I don’t seem to have mastered downshifting on twins, and the resulting wheel locking didn’t do my confidence much good. Combine that with some Ducati rides where the bikes stood up on the brakes when I really wanted them to turn into the upcoming bend, has meant that my overriding impressions have been less than favourable, and so, like most things in life that haven’t proven enjoyable, I've chosen not to revist them, hence for the past 20 years I've owned and ridden 4 cylinder machines, with only a three month interlude on a Laverda 750 S (parallel twin) and a VFR800 and my beloved RC45 (both V4’s) breaking up my long term multi cylinder love affair.

Other than the occasions where the BMW servicing dealer has offered a twin as a loan bike, and some very brief bike swops where I tried out Marks R1100RT and Andys GS, I’ve shied away from them, with one notable exception, the BMW HP2 which was available for a test ride on a BMW open day, and I just couldn’t turn down a chance to ride such an interesting bike.
So given my stated inability to “get on” with twins, and knowing that the subject of this post is the BMW R1200RS, a bike with only two cylinders, you might be wondering what has changed? Well, an hour or so to occupy whilst my GT has a new wheel carrier fitted at the BMW dealer is what. I’ve ridden quite a few of BMW’s range, in fact 11 different models, the most recent having been the new S1000XR, and looking at the current range I’m strangely drawn to the R1200RS which looks rather fetching in blue and white, so with the GT booked in at 14.00 and having some time to kill, I’ve taken the plunge and decided to see what’s changed in the world of half my favoured number of cylinders, and booked a test ride for the afternoon, read on for what I thought……..

Arriving just before my 14.00 appointment I spot the RS outside and it's in my favourite blue and white colourway. After booking the GT in, I then go through the formalities of signing the test ride forms before being given a demonstration of the controls which are pretty much the same as on my GT, and my Zumo 660 even fits into the fittted GPS cradle which is useful.

With the engine running I mount the bike and immediately am struck by the fact I'm sitting in rather than perched on the seat. The cold engine  is lumpy but the gear snicks in like a knife through butter, first is engaged and I'm off. The first few kms pass gently as I acclimatise myself to the bikes idiosyncrasies. Firstly the gearbox is super smooth, unlike the cliunky affair on my GT. No major clunks or bangs, and the quickshifter pro assist means that upward shifts are really smooth, although I'll add the caveat which seems to apply to any quickshifter, it works better the higher the revs and speed. Using the clutch a couple of times to upshift at speed only disrupted the gearchanges and upset the balance of the bike.

The motor got less lumpy once warmed up and it will pull comfortably from as low as 2000rpm in 5th which surprised me. Down changing wasn't the unsettling affair I remembered of old, but it was a little strange to find the forks dive on the brakes, nothing too dramatic but there's no duolever front suspension here, just good old telescopic forks.

The brakes were very strong and although I adjusted the lever span all the way out I found the lever travel to still be more than I would have expected, and I've got small hands! Nevertheless, they worked well enough.

The seat was comfy, the riding position very natural, and the handling quick and intuitive. The Pliot Road 4's did an excellent job and enabled effortless and confident bend swinging on the unknown roads I was riding. I  do wonder though whether this was down to the tyres, the fact the bike weights a mere 231kg (which is a massive 54kgs less than my GT), because the roads were billiard table smooth with predictable bends, or because on this occasion I was riding without my better half, so the suspension was having an easier time? Normally Sue comes with me when I take test rides but today she had abstained, so if I want to try one again it's important that she comes with me so I can get a better picture, and as I've ridden only and not on any height at all, I've got no idea how it would perform at the alpine altitudes I like to ride at.

The mirrors whilst small, are easily adjustable and give a good view of what's behind, so can't quibble too much on that score, and since I'm unable to recall any issues with the adjustable screen and wind noise or flow, I'm going to have to say that it worked well enough. I can't recall too much about the exhaust noise, although it does increase nicely when the speeds increase, but it's pretty quiet as per the euro norms these days, maybe a slightly louder pipe would add to the experience even more?

One thing I did notice was that there are a lot less revs to play with than I'm used to. It's all too easy to hit the rev limiter if you're not paying attention, and the clocks, whilst containing a lot of info tend to have you focusing on the massive sized gear indicator rather than the much smaller speedo which is actually slightly out of eye line and to the left of centre.

What didn't I like? Well there is always something that doesn't quite gell. In this case it was the quality of the plastics and the luggage which comes with it. Flicking the plastics reveals they are super light and although not flimsy, they aren't a patch on the super quality items on my GT. The available luggage is the same quality as the fairing and appears to be much smaller in capacity than the GT  with the top box looking at least half the size. This is all well and good if you don't tour much, but I've not yet hung up my touring spurs and I'm sure we'd never get a weeks worth of stuff in the RS luggage, two days would be about it!

After an all too brief test ride I returned the bike and on the way home started to garner my thoughts and then put them into the words you're reading here.

From my perspective I've done a massive about turn on my thoughts on twins, I loved the ride, the experience, and riding something different. The major thing here is that I'd like to ride one again as I actually had a blast riding this bike. I loved the drive out of the corners,  the consumate bend swinging ability, the gearbox that didn't clunk, and the overall experience had me grinning and thinking that light bikes must be the way to gain maximum pleasure? I also like the looks and the colour scheme, understated but smart. My only hope is that the experience is equally enjoyable two up, we'll have to wait and see!

"The older I get the faster I used to be"

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
Re: R1200RS test ride review
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 11:10:19 am »
Good write up, I take it there was no ESA on this bike ? Do you think the bike benefits from a more conventional front end than other BM's or do they need a bit more fine tuning i.e. some higher quality fork springs ?  You can always go down the GIVI route if you want more space, not sure if they make same to fit the BMW hangers for the panniers ? Top box from Givi no problem,  more for less. Do you think the RS will cruise at high endish speeds all day if called upon ? Have you had a go on the RT with same engine ?

Cheers,
JS

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:13:10 am »
Owning a single/twin/triple and 2 four cylinders I can make a case for all of them,I'm more intrigued that your demoing a bike in another country,that's something different or are we going back to France?

As for your RC45 it's as good as ever Lloyd turned up yesterday for his weekly coffee he never sell anything  ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 11:37:20 am »
I applaud you for a great write up Paul and it is interesting to see you starting to enter the dark side of BMW life.

Knowing some of the roads around Perigueux, the test ride must have been interesting and fun. My old 1150GS used to love the gorges and would surge on relentlessly all day long but of course, that was a totally different beast. It is a shame about the quality of the plastics, always a dodgy area on any bike in my experience but modern stuff is a little different from the old crackly stuff of yore.

I only ever locked the back wheel up once on my GS and that was being a hooligan on a main road 100m from home. I snicked it into first thinking I was in 3rd but alas I was already in 2nd accellerating out of a roundabout and about to turn into my estate. Quite alarming, but I got away with it, entering the turn rather broadside like a dirt rider and getting a round of applause from the guys outside the local car scratchers  :o I paid more attention after that!

I think any concerns about the twin running at high speeds all day are ill-founded Simon! Even the old GS would go all day flat out if asked and never missed a beat, although the top end was nowhere near as high as the 1300, rather obviously!

Brian (who is now feeling the need to get abroad once more  8) )

Offline alpinebiker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:55:21 am »
@JackSnipe- The bike did have ESA which was set on solo and Road. I found the handling to be pretty intuitive and the front forks didn't dive too much unless braking uncomfortably hard ie. emergency braking. I'd have to say it was fine as is. Turn in was excellent (as was the XR) and in all honesty I barely gave a second thought to the fact it had a conventional fork so it must have been ok? I think the ShiftPro assist also works on downshifts although I was using the clutch which might have helped with my previous "issues" with locking the rear on downchanges.

After a good deal of thought I have to say that I doubt that the RS will make a particularly good two up bike. I think I enjoyed it so much because it weighed some 53 kgs less than the GT, add the wife and an 8kg top box and thats easily 100kgs less than I'd normally ride with, no wonder it felt light and flickable. The engine revs freely and feels in some ways like a multi, I guess thats the water cooling engine improvements? Interestingly I had an absolute blast on winding roads on the GT going back home,and as a solo bike the weight disappears and it's a blast, so overall I'd have to say that whilst the RS is worth a second try with the wife, the GT1300 is peerless as a two up bike, and yes I've ridden the 1600GT and found it too heavy! 

I rode the RT but on very tight roads and without gear assist,I think it was the last of the air cooled not new water cooled models. I didn't like it and the wife hated it as the seat accomodation places the pillion too close to the rider.     

@ Chris- I'm back in France now and FINALLY can derestrict the GT legally although got to pay the dealer €250 for the privilege and then the equivalent of the DVLA another €36 for the privilege of them creating a new carte grise (V5 equiv.) showing it's now full power and not a castrated 100bhp version. Good to know the 45 is still well loved.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 11:58:23 am by alpinebiker »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 11:57:48 am »
What I would say as someone who also values his other half's input,it's not a twin thing but a boxer thing!!,we love our 1100s but neither of us could come to terms with a Multistrada and hence why we bought the XR instead.

Best tip make your test ride a long one at the very least 100 miles,despite owning our 1100s for 16 years it takes me at least the above to ajust oh order a stocker so you have the option of a decent rear shock,I'm wary of folks jumping up and down about how good a bike is but the stock XR we have is a league better than the ESA.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 12:04:32 pm by chriscanning »

Offline alpinebiker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 12:02:00 pm »
Interesting you say that about the XR as we rode that too and when we went back to the dealer I confessed that as a two up bike it didn't work for us but as a solo bike it would probably be a hoot. Interestingly he told me that those who rode it solo loved it and almost universally those who rode with a pillion didn't!

I have two friends with XR's one who switched from a GS Adventure. He's here next week and we'll be riding the Perigueux area, it will be interesting to see how he enjoys it and get his feedback and comparison vs his old bike.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 12:10:23 pm »
I didn't like the XR even one up with the ESA.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 12:18:56 pm »
Was the bike on demo mode with engine running up to 7500 rims?  Did you try the riding modes? Your comment about brakes being satisfactory are exactly opposite fm mine as found them superb.
Embrace the wind.

Offline alpinebiker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 12:53:09 pm »
@ Costas- I said in the review that the brakes were very stong, and would qualify that to say that they were /are at least the equal of the GT set up. I didn't try any mode other than Road it was set in and I hit the limiter a coupleof times so yes it went over 7500rpms :o :o :o
 :o

The dealer only gave me a half hour ride so I accept my opinions were after a short period of time. Normally a dealer says take it for half a day which is what they did with the XR I test rode.

Having not ridden a non ESA BMW I can't pass any comment on how good or not any model is with stock suspension,my concern with all things BMW these days is the exhorbitant cost of repairs, £1500 for a rear shock anyone? No wonder if/when they fail people swap to alternative options!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:05:25 pm by alpinebiker »

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 01:05:04 pm »
Every time the cost of repair od q major part in UK is mentioned am close to have a heart attack,  how is it possible that the local WP dealer repairs all BMW schock absorbers (bikes with ESA included) at the cost of 100€ each amd even goes further as to open the front sealed one enabling it with the installation of a relief valve for repair at the cost of 120€ , and in UK the cost is 1500£, outrageous.
Embrace the wind.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 01:33:31 pm »

Having not ridden a non ESA BMW I can't pass any comment on how good or not any model is with stock suspension,my concern with all things BMW these days is the exhorbitant cost of repairs, £1500 for a rear shock anyone? No wonder if/when they fail people swap to alternative options!

God knows who comes up with the marketing policy because these ESA bikes apart from the fact that the set up leaves a lot to be desired long term are a financial handgrenade,to say I encountered some resistance to buying a non ESA bike both with my K and the XR would be an understatement and yet the likes of Ducati have no preference.

When I test rode the XR which was ESA set off in road mode and probably got 5 miles ish and stopped and put it in dynamic and of course does anyone give any thought to what one does 15000 miles on when the shock is starting wear and you have run out of setting particularly if you ride two up,and while I'm still in a state of shock with the X by the fact I have already found a great sus setting and I can put the bike anywhere I want even two up with the minimum of effort.

Re the RS I find my boxer a wonderfully practical bike particularly with the new rear bevel giving a change of gearing where things get complicated is that line in the sand between practical/useful and stimulating the later only applies to the HP2S I rode.

As for luggage I should get my other half on here,we have just had a week in Jerez with just two small cases taken as hand luggage,and be it 2 weeks on the road or Le-Mans or next week when we go to the NW200 it's tank bag and 55l Givi of 55l BM soft bag.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:35:17 pm by chriscanning »

Offline Twisty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 05:33:53 pm »
Every time the cost of repair od q major part in UK is mentioned am close to have a heart attack,  how is it possible that the local WP dealer repairs all BMW schock absorbers (bikes with ESA included) at the cost of 100€ each amd even goes further as to open the front sealed one enabling it with the installation of a relief valve for repair at the cost of 120€ , and in UK the cost is 1500£, outrageous.

There are companies in the UK who rebuild ESA unit's. I had my rear done in February for £189 and it now works fine.
 8)
Ride safe
Dave

BMW R1200gs LC

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 06:53:03 pm »
Was more than certain that they are , and 189 is a fair price.
Embrace the wind.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 07:45:43 pm »
Twisty, Which company " Pray tell "

JS