Author Topic: Fairing bolts…lots of ‘em!  (Read 873 times)

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
Fairing bolts…lots of ‘em!
« on: August 10, 2023, 11:08:02 am »
I’ve removed fairings from all of my bikes at one time or another usually to replace Philips screws with colour-coded Allen bolts which are not needed on this bike mostly being T25 but also to give things a good clean and familiarise myself with what lurks behind but I don’t ever recall having so many bolts/screws to deal with as in this K1300GT to the point where I’m not sure;

a) Whether I’ll remember which bolt goes where?
b) If they were even in the right place in the first instance!

I have to ask if any of you guys have a method for remembering where the correct bolt goes as I was thinking the idea of some templates made out of cardboard or something with a rough outline/panel description and 5mm holes to drop each bolt in as it is taken out would be a good idea.

I do recall seeing some info on my repair DVD showing which size bolt goes in which hole but would prefer something a little more elegant and don’t want to re-invent the wheel if anybody has already devised a solution similar to this that they might share or am I in a minority of one herded down this path by my OCD combined with my yearning for an easier life?  ;D

I’ve not even removed the top part of the fairing yet as it looks to be the most complex piece and there are already too many T25 bolts of varying lengths strategically placed all over the floor to begin with!

And I really should have posed this question before I started;

Is it best to remove the panels from the bottom up, top down or doesn’t it matter in which order they are removed/replaced?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 11:18:23 am by GlynH »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Fairing bolts…lots of ‘em!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 02:41:51 pm »
The cardboard template is what I used. Or just take lots of photos

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 05:53:26 pm »
When you've had them off a few times you get used to which length goes where based on how much stuff each one has to go through to get tight in the nut, or in the case of the front rad shroud end, the depth of the rubber cush nut.

I don't think I've ever had the bike back from service with all the bolts in place and the right place. I was taken into the workshop in NOG when they were looking into the tiny weep from the rear drive and there beside the guys workstation was a box full of fairing bolts and not one of them looked new...I did wonder how many were mine.

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 09:29:32 pm »
Useful document in this post from yours truly....

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3441.0

HTH

A

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 07:11:05 am »
The link in that post says Content removed or similar.

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 10:42:43 am »
Thanks for the many replies guys.

On my BMW RSD I have found the following diagrams which are similar to those Tom posted which seems a good place to start;

At some point I would like to print these out, laminate them, affix them to some hardboard and drill some 5.5mm holes where the bolts are shown so as I remove them from the bike I can pop them in the corresponding hole which is better than leaving them on the floor in a rough sequence before forgetting they are there and kicking them under the bench as I walk around!

Overkill I know but I like to be organised. Its for my OCD don't cha know... :D

I should be able to figure most of them out but I've got so many bits off the bike now (and still have so much more work to do) I'm not looking forward to the reassembly phase.

After this I don't plan to be removing them again any time soon Brian!

That link would have been great I'm sure Andy but as Rae I get the error message also.

There were originally some very useful looking technical files from Paul C before my time on here but I think they lead to a password protected area and despite leaving a message as suggested I never had a reply and so are out of bounds to me.

Did anybody ever keep their own copies of these resources that they might be able to share I wonder?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 10:44:31 am by GlynH »

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 10:47:10 am »
Talking of removing panels - in picture 2 item 2 shows what is described as a body bound rivet.

Is there a knack to removing this plastic rivet to be able to lift off the right hand side panel?

Mine seems to be hanging in there and I don't want to use excessive force and end up breaking something...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2023, 09:51:46 pm »

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 10:32:35 am »
Many thanks for that Andy!

What a well-documented, easy-to-follow document.

I did see that on BMWMOA along with some other great guides by Semper_Fi but as I’m not a member I was unable to see the photos so I only got half the story.

Was very tempted to become a member for his Technical Library alone despite not benefitting from many of the other advantages of becoming a member.

Don’t suppose you have links to any of his other guides by any chance do you?

And is there a knack to removing the right rear side panel as mine is basically hanging on what is described as a body rivet? I don’t want to pull too hard not prise it out lest I damage the bodywork.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 11:58:27 am by GlynH »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 11:43:30 am »
With regard to the body bound rivet, it's removed by pushing the centre of the rivet through which allows the claw, outer parts, to reduce in diameter and the fixing can then be removed. Sometimes the centre of the rivet has a lip and it can then be pulled out rather than pushed through. The fun then is reassembling the rivets to refit them. That is if you haven't lost the centre part.

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2023, 11:57:01 am »
Thanks Tom. I’m kicking myself for not taking a closer look as I have similar fixings on the wheel arch liners on my A8 for example.

I sometimes struggle with those but at least I keep spares knocking around…

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-