Author Topic: Quick LED Bulb sanity check  (Read 1014 times)

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300GT EE
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Touratech heated seats
Quick LED Bulb sanity check
« on: March 23, 2023, 02:26:37 pm »
Thinking of swapping some filament bulbs over to LED on my 2010 K1300GT namely;

Sidelights x2 (501 W5W)
Front Indicators x2 (435 H21W)
Rear Indicators x2 (382 P21W)
Stop/Taillight x2 (382 P21W)

I’m leaving the Xenon HID D1R/35W main beam and twin H7 55W Halogens high beam high beam as they are…for the time being at least as I have not ridden in the dark yet and wanted to see how they perform.

I have already swapped the sidelights over for some LED bulbs from LEDPerf mainly because one had blown and the other was very yellow and looked odd viewed alongside the Xenon.

Before:

After:

What I wanted to know is are the bulb types listed above the correct type?

I am aware of potential CAN Bus issues but has anybody any experience of LED replacement bulbs in general and Philips Ultinon in particular?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 12:28:34 pm by GlynH »

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
Re: Quick LED Bulb sanity check
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 02:29:38 pm »
And I’m still unable to post photos hosted in Google Drive despite setting them to Shared and friends being able to view them by sending the same link that I sandwich between the two img markers when posting here… >:(

-=Glyn=-

PS: Update. Managed to solve he problem of images not displaying from Google Drive. Turns out my iPhone was uploading to GD in .HEIC format and the BBS software cannot decode/display .heic. Converted both photos to .jpg and they now display! Yay...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 12:16:57 pm by GlynH »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 04:16:34 pm »
Ah. I'm trying to type out how to resolve image fun but the forum I think sees me throwing urls in and is getting scared.

Essentially img tags are for linking to the image file. i.e png or jpg etc. Your links are to the google drive viewer, as I suspect Google aren't really wanting Drive to be used as hosting. There's a thread on image hosting, but basically use imgbb or equivalent and it's literally 20 seconds to upload an image and get a direct image url.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 04:19:00 pm by Matt »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 09:40:29 am »

Appears to be ok now Matt.
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2023, 12:59:39 pm »
And I’m still unable to post photos hosted in Google Drive despite setting them to Shared and friends being able to view them by sending the same link that I sandwich between the two img markers when posting here… >:(

-=Glyn=-

Well I just figured out why I have been unable to post photos from a shared folder in Google Drive despite following the excellent instructions from a 4 year old post from Rich...it's because the default format to upload photos from my iPhone is in .heic format and this BBS doesn't display them!

As a test I uploaded a standard .jpeg file and it displays just fine.

That's the 'Apple standard' I suppose... >:(

Ah well at least I've figured it out...so as soon as I've converted all the photos in Google Drive to .jpeg and see if I can set the iPhone to upload in a format that the rest of the World can display brace yourselves for a flurry of photographs!  ;)

-=Glyn=-

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 10:33:59 pm »
Be careful with LEDs a indicators - the lower current can lead to faster flashing (haven't tried it on the K, is this true?).

On another make of bike, I found a solid-state relay that did not rely on drawn current to set the flash rate.

HTH

A

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 11:25:19 pm »
It's true. I have LEDs indicators at the front, but not the back for that reason. One of each type mixed flashes slightly fast  but not so much it's annoying / illegal. If you put a load in there, you can have 4 LEDs, but I couldn't be arsed since the front ones are the only ones my tutees look at. And even then not often enough. :-)

Offline nealchaykin

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Heed crash bars, Givi top case, classic windscreen with Laminar Lip, gel seat, carbon everywhere
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 12:38:59 am »
I just installed LED indicators on my K1300R front and back. The come with resisters so there is no ‘Lampf’ warning. Just double checked their speed and they seem normal. This is a North American K so…not sure if there is a difference.
Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 11:22:48 am »
Well although I did buy some Philips Ultinon Pro 6000 LED bulbs since I originally posted I haven't yet gotten round to fitting them mainly because I don't want to upset anything! This seems to be my Modus Operandi...

I managed to purchase Ultinon equivalents to all of the above bulbs apart from those 435 /H21W front indicator bulbs as Philips don't seem to make them although they are of course available in other manufacturers ranges.

When I get round to it I might change those cheap sidelight bulbs over to the Philips and give it a week or so to see if the bike does flag any LAMPF! errors and if all is good maybe rinse & repeat first with both stop/taillight bulbs followed by rear indicator bulbs.

Tempted to just replace one of every pair first and operate the lights and video the difference between bulb types to see if they do actually make a difference and if so to what degree. But I'm full of ideas like this that never see the light of day...

I have been down the LED bulb 'try it & see' road when I replaced all the bulbs in the house as my Smart light switches work by 'sipping' a bit of power going to the fitting to keep it alive and with the much lower resistance I ended up with some LED bulbs glowing faintly even though the switch was turned off!

The solution was to keep one original bulb in a light fitting where I had swapped the remaining 5 bulbs to LED to show some resistance to drag the current down so they didn't glow when switched off caused by the small current flowing through the low wattage LED bulb to neutral to power the SmartSwitch.

Don't want to install any resistor/dummy load on the bike if I can help it and would probably just retain the original bulbs if I start to see errors.

Interestingly all the bulbs I have looked at on the bike so far have been OEM judging by the date marks on them so have proven very reliable in the 13 years since the bike was built.

-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 11:27:36 am by GlynH »

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 11:45:57 am »
Found a compatible LED flasher relay from R & G.

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/K1300S/2012/RGRELAY001/

But is it required?

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 12:18:24 pm »

-=Glyn=-

Well I just figured out why I have been unable to post photos from a shared folder in Google Drive despite following the excellent instructions from a 4 year old post from Rich...it's because the default format to upload photos from my iPhone is in .heic format and this BBS doesn't display them!

As a test I uploaded a standard .jpeg file and it displays just fine.

That's the 'Apple standard' I suppose... >:(

Ah well at least I've figured it out...so as soon as I've converted all the photos in Google Drive to .jpeg and see if I can set the iPhone to upload in a format that the rest of the World can display brace yourselves for a flurry of photographs!  ;)

-=Glyn=-

Yup...that was it. Converted both photos in my original post to .jpg and they now display as they should!

-=Glyn=-

Offline GlynH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 12:20:54 pm »
Found a compatible LED flasher relay from R & G.

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/K1300S/2012/RGRELAY001/

But is it required?

Never thought about replacing the relay.

Hopefully I won't have to but don't hold your breath about me trying it out and reporting back any time soon. I'm particularly slow about getting round to doing this type of thing but at least I now have options!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-