Author Topic: The Unsolvable Problem!  (Read 86246 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: The Unsolvable Problem!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:06 pm »
And I in his place will visit my dealer with a copy of this at hand and state: could you please state what type of controls you have made in order to eliminate each and every single one of these?
Embrace the wind.

Offline swallowtailjack

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akro Can, bits of carbon, Rexxer Map
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 05:01:38 pm »
Ok, Brian, before i have time to read the whole of that i would like to thank you for giving more time and thought into your answer than the bloody garage has!

On a good note i called them today, they are awaiting a call back from BMW but the head mechanic thinks (from the video) that it is the ignition coil playing up, so i would be happy if they just got on and replaced those, but i understand that it is an expensive and long job so as its under warranty they aint exactly enthralled by the idea that it is that. But i dont care, i want it fixed or i dont want it.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 05:13:02 pm »
'Expensive and long job' is a relative term. A competent tech should be able to do all 4 coils in a couple of hours, start to finish.

If they do discover it is the coils, don't let them tell you you only want 1 of them changed. Even if you have to pay the cost price of the other three, it is worth getting them done at the same time. You will only have to pay the expensive labour later on if another one goes.

Brian (who is sure some of them can be done without taking the rad out......)

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 05:17:00 pm »
Administrator took precedence so my post comes second but doesn't matter it was almost identical.
Good luck with them, and rest assure after repair a wide smile would appear in your face.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Highway Star

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s, 2005, ABS, ESA, H/Grips, Sat Nav,
  • Modifications and add-ons:: None needed.
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 08:58:16 pm »
Just in case your a mac user, try this site:-

www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com[/color]/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?rnd=113649334&vid=51574

I would go with the coil pack, symptoms same as mine, changed just one coil pack and back on the road in a jiffy.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 09:55:54 pm »
Tell em to try a new Llambda sensor, unlikely as it sounds, after replacing most things they could think of on my 13GT to cure a horrible running issue, as a last resort they changed the llambda and Bingo, you never know?
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 09:37:34 am »
Where it gets complicated I've had some correspondence off line with Max about his bike and it has spent time on a dyno and it ran perfect without the slightest blip so what ever the problem is consistent it ain't.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 11:05:44 am »
I sure hope his bike isn't the matt black vinyl-wrapped K that belonged to Bill (b b b off the old site) because his did the stumbling and stuttering thing and Vines threw everything at it but could never find the cause. The strange thing is that it had been on a dyno to set up the Power Commander and his never did it on there either.

Brian (who thinks it was a Friday bike)

PS And from memory it was a 12 not a 13, but either way it is weird.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 11:38:54 am »
Brian

Difference being the map in the ECU is good because it's had a Rexxer version blown into it.

I've had something similar with my Tiger over the last 18 months but manafacturer's have different ways of fuelling bikes so it's not really transferable mine was a combo of a dodgy stepper motor and when wired up to a lap top just an ever so slightly failing middle stick coil and mine would chug just like in Max's video.

What really is strange is the fact that the diagnostics are showing nothing  :(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 12:35:37 pm »
Hmmmm!

Although Bill's was a 12 it is really odd that the overall symptom is the same as Max's; the rider can replicate the stuttering/stumbling within minutes of taking it back from the dealer who said they could find nothing wrong with it and yet they had both test ridden it and had it through the full diagnostic routine with no results.

In fact Vines snr tech rode Bill's bike and confirmed the symptoms he had on video and yet when they took it in and ran the diagnostics they found nothing. And it isn't as if Vines is an inexperienced dealer as you well know, being responsible for the press fleets etc.

Bill got fed up, traded it for a GSA and rode off into the sunset and the black booger went into the trade and was last seen in the west country, still for sale.

Brian (who should add that Vines went above and beyond as the bike was originally bought from the dealer in Manchester)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 12:41:33 pm »
No help to Max but all part of why I'm never going to walk away(although I have thought about) from my extended warranty.

And yes I rate Vines as the best dealer in the Uk they know more and sooner than everyone else and I just wish they were closer to junction 7  :(

Offline swallowtailjack

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akro Can, bits of carbon, Rexxer Map
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 01:44:08 pm »
Hi Chris and All!

I just phoned Vines to have a chat with them, one of their mechanics will call back, see if they can help at all. No harm in sending the vid their way and if they have a french speaking person (i know i am dreaming now) they might be able to help!

heres hoping.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2015, 02:27:56 pm »
Any updates? :angel:
Embrace the wind.

Offline Twisty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 04:33:25 pm »
Hall sensor.  8)
Ride safe
Dave

BMW R1200gs LC

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 05:02:21 pm »
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.