Author Topic: Diagnostic tool that works on a 1300GT ?  (Read 14777 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Diagnostic tool that works on a 1300GT ?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 05:33:52 pm »
I already have a GS911 and I don't have a BMW/OBD 2 connecting cable.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 05:36:24 pm »
I already have a GS911 and I don't have a BMW/OBD 2 connecting cable.
A man of your means must be able to afford an itsy bitsy lickle connector  :o

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 11:01:53 am »
Saw this in eBay that should fit the bill.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-10-Pin-OBD2-Diagnostic-Adaptor-Fit-for-BMW-Motorcycle-ICOM-D-Cable/173366000218?hash=item285d6b3a5a:g:UDsAAOSw~BhbI3mW:rk:1:pf:0

Says it will work with one of those bluetooth ODBII adapters also available for pennies & the Torque app for your phone.

Might give it a try when i've got nothing better to do, which will be after Christmas now.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 08:33:45 pm »

The MotoScan chaps say the BAFX unit I have doesn't support the long messages required to reset the date of the service, but it will read and clear trouble codes. So a mixed bag for a mixed price. I've asked if the BAFX will reset the service light.

The Motoscan app guy came back, and said buy one of these units for guaranteed support of service light resetting:

'OBDLink LX and UniCarScan UCSI-2000'

Motoscan are very helpful. I may well support them with a Christmas purchase.

Just remember they're both Bluetooth units, so its Android only (or Windows of course).
Folks with iPhone/iPads will need this OBDLink version with WiFi. Twice the price, but hey, you're happy paying over the odds for your hardware.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 08:36:44 pm by richtea »

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 10:25:22 am »
Couldn't people that own a GS911 reset it, we're on the map

What you're saying is your next door, willing and able?:
KTM AL Location:: Southwater West Sussex Blighty
Blobby Location:: Uckfield, East Sussex

It may be a struggle for relative newcomers to work the system, so...:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1TW_-lN1sUs76bZj4GJQY_p5neVk&ll=50.99056693382069%2C-0.08339140413636414&z=11
Sorry for the delay, i have been busy with work etc.. But yes anyone wants a quick reset of a diagnostic check up from the neck up then pop on by.. As long as i don't lose all of my lives or whatever they allow before i need to buy the pro version

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S 30th Year
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LED indicators, LED H7 Conversion, HP Dash
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 06:23:31 pm »
ICOM Next or A2 hardware (Chinese clone of BMW dealer diagnostic hardware) for less than 200 quid, and then you'll have everything the BMW dealer has and can do.

Full diagnostics on any BMW car / bike, Rolls, Mini etc with ISTA+ and full programing on pre F series BMW cars and our Bikes using ISTA/P.

Details and links here: https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3496.0

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 09:33:38 am »
Just remember they're both Bluetooth units, so its Android only (or Windows of course).
Folks with iPhone/iPads will need this OBDLink version with WiFi. Twice the price, but hey, you're happy paying over the odds for your hardware.  ;D ;D ;D

I am surprised you say this. First, it is my understanding that Motoscan does not work on iOS anyway, so no point in getting any device for Motoscan on iOS. Then , if you want to use any other app, I think that a device with BT 4.0 works fine, at least for basic stuff (reading and resetting some codes). I have this device:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vgate-iCar-Pro-BLE-4-0-OBD2-Diagnostic-Tool-Fault-Code-Reader-OBDII-ELM327-Compa-/153335999122?hash=item23b389aa92

I have tested it with iOS and Android and it works fine for reading (including the Motoscan app). Haven't tried to change anything yet though...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 01:07:31 pm »

I am surprised you say this. First, it is my understanding that Motoscan does not work on iOS anyway, so no point in getting any device for Motoscan on iOS.

Quite right - Motoscan is Android only. Sorry for the confusion.
I meant that, regardless of the controlling app, if you want to connect an iPhone to an ODBLink product you need to get a WiFi-enabled version (and then pick a suitable iPhone app).

Which reminds me, maybe I should offer to port the Motoscan app to iPhone for them? It would double their sales, possibly more.  ;D

Then , if you want to use any other app, I think that a device with BT 4.0 works fine, at least for basic stuff (reading and resetting some codes). I have this device:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vgate-iCar-Pro-BLE-4-0-OBD2-Diagnostic-Tool-Fault-Code-Reader-OBDII-ELM327-Compa-/153335999122?hash=item23b389aa92

I have tested it with iOS and Android and it works fine for reading (including the Motoscan app). Haven't tried to change anything yet though...

Ah, I think that's the rub. With cheap ODB2 units reading is often possible, but changing/writing information isn't.
However, if you find your Vgate one does write info, then that would be the best value yet.
Please let us know!

8 days time, and I'll be able to test my £55 UniCarScan unit with the MotoScan app (which is another £21-35 for a full version, note).

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Black K1300S, S1000XR, T100, Duke 390, Elan
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 01:41:11 pm »

[/quote]

8 days time, and I'll be able to test my £55 UniCarScan unit with the MotoScan app (which is another £21-35 for a full version, note).
[/quote]

And.......?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 06:16:52 pm »

> 8 days time, and I'll be able to test my £55 UniCarScan unit with the MotoScan app (which is another £21-35 for a full version, note).

And.......?

Bang to rights.  ;D

So, from a short test (UniCarScan unit + full MotoScan) I can:
- clear faults (there was a historical fault hanging around from my dipped bulb popping, which I cleared)
- reset the next service date (set it back a day. Oooh, naughty.)

I can also switch various lights on and off via my Android. Weird trick.
It also monitors the engine, but not at a high sampling rate (which is one of the complaints about OBD2, if I remember rightly from a previous thread).
It detects various other inputs too, like clutch switches, etc.

That's definitely a step up from my £20 BAFX unit, which was mostly read only.

There's a heck of a lot of other settings, which I'm not clear on whether they should work or not.
I guess the best test would be to compare against a GS911, but I don't have one.

For example there's a semi-automatic suspension reading which isn't populated with data - is it possible to read stuff on ESA with a GS9111?
There's also a lean angle, and heated seat inputs. Lean angle?!

So I'd say, for the original poster - KTM AL - who 'Just want it to cancel the service light...' this combi would work nicely.
Even by the time you've bought the Motoscan app & a convertor cable it's inexpensive compared to the competition - around £110-£120-ish - but not quite in the 'cheap' category.

If anyone would like to run a comparison with a GS911, then I'm happy to meet up & and do that - "for the greater good" (tm Hot Fuzz)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:18:33 pm by richtea »

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 08:15:07 pm »
I look forward to reading that one....

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 10:52:43 pm »
is it possible to read stuff on ESA with a GS9111?
There's also a lean angle...input. Lean angle?!

If anyone would like to run a comparison with a GS911, then I'm happy to meet up & and do that - "for the greater good" (tm Hot Fuzz)

The ESA is an open-loop system with no fault codes thrown in my experience (broken from loom, both units disconnected etc. etc. Sp, it may not be possible to read anything on ESA.

Lean angle sensor is, iirc, used to stop the motor in the event of a fall. My wee Honda has one and that is what it is for; lower the bike to the ground with engine running, and it then it isn't... 8)

If you wanna play, I'll send you my GS911 till we meet up at the Wrinklies. For the greater good? Pah!

Andym535

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 12:24:38 am »
The GS911 claims to do ESA calibration, but I've never tried it. The most useful things it's done so far are to change the tyre pressure readout to PSI and set the clock to the right time.

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 05:23:11 am »
Lean angle sensor also used on bikes with cornering lights and cornering ABS, as used by my new H2 SX.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 08:30:02 am »
The GS911 claims to do ESA calibration, but I've never tried it. The most useful things it's done so far are to change the tyre pressure readout to PSI and set the clock to the right time.

Are you able to do that with the UniCarScan unit + full MotoScan setup Brian? Does it allow setup of the TPMS sensors?

I downloaded the App "to see" but it doesn't tell me much without the hardware.

How much is the software upgrade please?

Thanks