Author Topic: Metzeler Roadtec 01  (Read 12276 times)

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
Re: Metzeler Roadtec 01
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 05:12:05 pm »
What's the long term evaluation on these tyres. The sportec M3's have squared off after 5000 miles and will need changing.  Have never liked them anyway.

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 06:19:34 pm »
I have 4,500 kilometres on mine and absolutely no sign of squaring off which given the way I ride is remarkable ::) Very happy with the feel , grip and turn in too. Highly recommended by me anyway.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 07:16:27 am »
Very interesting, been commuting all year over the winter and just completed 1600 miles of touring in Ireland. My Road Pilt 4 have managed 6500 miles. Squared off and just at limit markers now. Cannot complain about these PR4s at all, apart form going off amazingly quickly. Seemed to to do anyways.
Might just be the way i ride but cannot get anything like the mileage some of you guys seem to get out of a set of tyres. Might try the Metzeler 01s next as just bought a set of PR4s again at £240 fitted.
Mark Barbour

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 01:04:48 pm »
I had the Roadtec 01s fitted just before the Old Gits trip to the South East of France. The bike was trailered there and back so any and all wear was on good winding, undulating roads. My initial reaction was that the 01s were excellent. They were noticeably better than new PR4s in that they turned in quicker, gave more feel and gave more confidence in both the dry and the wet. I had no problems with the PR4s but the 01s were better everywhere. I manged to ride on wet roads at speeds i even surprised my self at and managed to completely remove the chicken strips on the rear in the dry. Much as I really liked the PR4s, I was completely sold on the 01s '... until ...

Upon returning to the UK the bike was back to long range commuting duties. Despite having less than 2000 miles on them the 01s were (and still are) all over the place when riding over white lines. Very unnerving when filtering down the A12 passed Stratford where the two lines of traffic have double white lines between them. This movement on white lines (and overbanding) is as bad in the dry as it is in the wet and is worse than the PR4s I ditched before the trip with 7500 miles on them.

I'll continue to use this set of 01s because I'm tight and won't throw away tyres that are not close to being worn out but they will be replaced with another set og PR4GTs.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 02:08:05 pm »
Absolutely amazing David; I applaud you for the comparison between French and English Tarmac.

Who would have thought that you could get such a disparity between the open road and the virtually clogged roads with white lines.

A suitable warning to all to read real-world reviews applicable to your type of riding before being swayed by the ads.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 04:55:20 pm »
Ok so that leaves me to do a comparison between Greece tarmac and central europian ? No it just don't exist the temperatures here are so high tyres simply deteriorate at a slowere much slower rate. The issue here always has to do with side and that is credided to the poor quality and many pot holes.
As for the R1 , with pillion and full languages was ever better at cornering the extra side reinforcements of the SWM type are surely worth every extra penny. Surprisingly fully loaded bike leans faster easier and esit fm curves is very smooth.
Love them.
Embrace the wind.

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 12:29:41 pm »
I've got to get New rubber this week and have decided on the 01. Do I need the HW or standard tyre. I'm no light weight myself and only two up occasionally.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 09:37:09 am »
Mine are the HW type , very happy and am sure this set would be the ones lasting longer than any power type of rubber used so far.
Bear in mind two things , first this is the wider tyre for durability designed to support heavy loads. Second being such a wide one do not help in achieving very low lean angles. No matter how much I've tried never ever managed to erase the chicken stripes fm the rear one.
And a comment by a fellow rider on another K during last trip, "" my goodness that is the wider one , was wqtching all of you , another 4 K, and your tyre was so much griping on the tarmac".
Embrace the wind.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 09:48:12 am »
Mine are the HW type , very happy and am sure this set would be the ones lasting longer than any power type of rubber used so far.
Bear in mind two things , first this is the wider tyre for durability designed to support heavy loads. Second being such a wide one do not help in achieving very low lean angles. No matter how much I've tried never ever managed to erase the chicken stripes fm the rear one.
And a comment by a fellow rider on another K during last trip, "" my goodness that is the wider one , was wqtching all of you , another 4 K, and your tyre was so much griping on the tarmac".

I'll check if mine is the HW. If it is then I'm sorry Costas, you're just not trying hard enough!!! :D  My rear chicken strip went on the Old Gits trip to Provence and the Haute-Alpes this year. ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 09:52:10 am »
Have to admit , feeling sorry for myself, mark the stripes were noticed by some in here long time ago , maybe you're right am beginning to loose it, or maybe am not trying enough.  The damn stripes are present .
Embrace the wind.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 09:58:12 am »
Have to admit , feeling sorry for myself, mark the stripes were noticed by some in here long time ago , maybe you're right am beginning to loose it, or maybe am not trying enough.  The damn stripes are present .

Or maybe it just wasn't the right roads at the right time! I don't think I could have removed the chicken strips on the roads I ride normally (not without being totally stupid and taking too many risks - and I'm way too old for that) but the roads in the South of France offered the opportunity to do it safely and while having fun.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 12:35:48 pm »
It's not the roads it's me
Embrace the wind.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 02:28:46 pm »
My claim to fame is buying two pre-owned K's and serially lowering both the average speed and average mpg noted on the computer... slow and steady wins the race is my new motto!! (Suffice to say my chikkins will be well fed and fat as anything!!)
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 06:40:00 pm »
Stabiliser wheels anyone?

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 07:57:23 am »
Banned!!! 😜
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!