Author Topic: That same old overheating problem!!!  (Read 10337 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: That same old overheating problem!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 01:10:04 pm »
Good points all.

One other thing to consider is that the OE fan mount is solid to either side of the fan aperture.

This means restricted airflow when the fan is not running (i.e. most of the time) and I'm tempted to get my drill out and attack the flat portions between the reinforcing webs. If the air that does flow through the rad in the fan mount area has to 'spill' around the fan mount then that air is less effective than it would be with a holey mount.

Offline vm5

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Modified and revalved wp esa shocks
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 01:27:33 pm »
That was my same thought about the dirt that easly close the radiator because of the fan screen that guide the air flow when the fan is running but stop everything when it's stopped.
Rather than drill the screen (compromise the air suction when the fan is running) it should be better to havethe same mobile flaps used on some cars.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 02:27:07 pm »
Good points all.
Brian
Last week at Aldi i bought a wood burning iron kit, not for any reason but just because it was only £10. Inside there was a Hot knife attachment and I thought I could slice down the side of the ribs to let more air through.

Rich, there is enough room I think, some of the fans on ebay look quite narrow, with the shroud gone it would be easier to back flush

Vm5, I did consider fitting solenoid controlled flaps to the existing shroud that shut when the fan was energised, but i think that would be a mission too far

Best regards   Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 02:37:12 pm »
One more consideration Mick. When I was thinking about changing the fan arrangement on my K12S, I thought of using stainless rod, 4mm dia. or so, to fabricate the fan mounting, much like the white frame outline in your mock up.

Easy enough to bend to shape and fashion the eyelets for the bolts, almost zero chance of stress cracks forming and almost zero wind resistance. It doesn't need to have the health and safety shroud cos no one in their right mind is going to go sticking their fingers in there...

And, we already have a precedent in the form of the radiator bottom mounting rod  8)

Of course, being a machinist that simple approach would be anathema to you  :D

Andym535

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2019, 02:48:09 pm »
Why not put the fan behind the radiator and blow (forward) through the radiator? Counter intuitive, perhaps, but the fan only does anything when you're either not moving or moving very slowly. That might help blow some of the mud out of the radiator.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 03:56:26 pm »
Hmmm? Blowing the hot air from the engine into the radiator may not be the solution...

Andym535

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2019, 06:16:07 pm »
I'm sure you could get round that with suitable ducting. VFRs had the radiators on the side, presumably engine heated air wasn't a problem there as I don't remember them having any overheating issues.

Offline vm5

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Modified and revalved wp esa shocks
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2019, 06:58:32 am »

Vm5, I did consider fitting solenoid controlled flaps to the existing shroud that shut when the fan was energised, but i think that would be a mission too far

Best regards   Mick
But the flaps used in these way lift themselves as soon as the bike gain a little speed. Otherwise, when the fan starts and create depression, they're automatically closed.

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2019, 09:39:53 am »
Yes thats an easier solution but the shape of the shroud would make it difficult.

Regards   Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2019, 04:51:25 pm »
Am afraid no matter how many ideas are going to be put in place the problem will always be the crud  and sand mixture used by road maintenance in your country during winder time , and (most unfortunately)  due to its design simply loves the rad of K bikes so much. The only way is to change the rad £550 if I remember correctly .
Embrace the wind.