General forum area > The Euro K Comms & Sat Nav Corner (including Trackers)

Are we breaking the law?

(1/2) > >>

Phmode:
No, not that one, we all do that.

There was an article in the media over the weekend about the use of mobile phones whilst driving. Now, we all know what the law says, or do we?

When riding or driving, my phone, historically, has always been in my pocket where I can't get to it so there was no chance of me falling foul of the law by accident. If I wanted to use the phone, then I did it via the Garmin.

However, the article I read (source unknown now) stated that it was unlawful to touch any device, whilst driving, which was capable of receiving or transmitting data.

Now, that is the first time I've seen that definition. My Garmin XT was certainly capable of receiving data whilst on the move; traffic status, weather etc. etc.

And was it also capable of transmitting data when it uses Bluetooth to communicate with my Sena headset?

Since I have started using a second phone as my navigation device, I removed the SIM card so I could demonstrate that it wasn't really a phone if I was stopped for poking the screen whilst on the move which is little different from poking the screen of a sat nag or even poking the heater controls in the car.

So, what is allowed and what isn't beyond the obvious of dialling a number on the screen or texting the undertaker?

fjtwelve:
Mm. No idea what the legal position is. However.
Methinks you worry too much. Otherwise several hundred thousand people a day would be getting done as they had a mobile in a holder suction cupped to the windscreen.

Grumpy jase:
This link is really good for explaining this change in the law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys9y7_R7eZk

Your mobile with No SIM card does not protect you from the new law, but in your pocket or in a cradle, and therefore not "hand held" seems to cover it.  Same will apply to any other Sat Nav, or similar.  As he says at the end of the video, there is always the caveat of being distracted by any device, but

Phmode:
That was a really interesting and useful article and I don't know why I hadn't come across it before, being a fanboy of the gentleman in question.

So, it would appear that even dialling a number on the phone screen is allowed as long as a) it is in a holder and b) you are not distracted...

It is like most laws that most of us abide by most of the time in that we don't delve into the minutiae of the wording, we just think 'yeah, that makes sense (or not)' and duly abide by or totally ignore, the law in question.

The original media article was obviously wrong in stating that 'touching' the device was illegal, it obviously meant to say 'holding'.

drumwrecker:
As I understand a cell phone is untouchable in a car. Although  at the time you have to be considered not in control of the car i.e. weaving etc. (but officer I was changing radio stations and while I was nearby I checked my satnag)

I also read an article about some foreigner (Ukraine I think) who has invented an app where your phone can be used as a video camera and when something illegal happens you just touch the screen and it sends the video clip to the relevant authority.
Does the sender also get nicked for touching the phone screen. He must have touched it or they wouldn't have received the video clip?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version