Author Topic: Hello from Essex  (Read 6993 times)

Offline colin72blue

• View Profile
Hello from Essex
« on: September 03, 2021, 06:48:23 pm »
Evening all

Just joined here as have decided to jump head first into the world of K ownership

Had (and still have) a few boxer engine bikes over the years but feel the need for K1300 power! On the look out for a nice S (or maybe an r) so hopefully soon will be fully immersed  :thumbsup:

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Hello from Essex
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 08:32:38 pm »
Welcome Colin.

You may just find one on here, if you post in the For sale / Wanted section.
(Or, having had a quick look, enquire about the R model from Billski!)

Offline colin72blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 09:11:33 am »
Will do

Leaning more towards an S model but the R looks interesting

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 09:22:40 am »
A friend of mine may have a K1300S Sport, in black, coming up for sale this autumn/winter. It's a late 2015 so towards the very end of the run.

This is it in the Dolomites in 2019

and this year doing the NC500

It's fully dealer serviced and he's had it from new.

No idea of price or exactly when he plans to sell but he is planning a new bike in spring next year.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll see what he wants to do.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 09:24:27 am by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 01:05:00 pm »
I'm starting to prefer that to the Motorsport colours. But don't tell Brian!

Welcome Colin! What else are you riding? I switched my K to a GS a couple of years ago.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline colin72blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2021, 01:18:37 pm »
Hi

Could be very interested in that if you can give me an idea on price, mileage etc

A friend of mine may have a K1300S Sport, in black, coming up for sale this autumn/winter. It's a late 2015 so towards the very end of the run.

No idea of price or exactly when he plans to sell but he is planning a new bike in spring next year.

Offline colin72blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 01:22:54 pm »
Hi Matt

I’ve gone the other way and just sold a GS1250 adventure but could also be getting another GS (1200 and non adventure) or maybe a KTM

Currently have an HP2 sport but that will be going as i just don't ride it

I'm starting to prefer that to the Motorsport colours. But don't tell Brian!

Welcome Colin! What else are you riding? I switched my K to a GS a couple of years ago.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 01:26:15 pm »
Hi

Could be very interested in that if you can give me an idea on price, mileage etc

I'll find out for you. It definitely won't be available before October as a small group of us are going for a week doing 24 Apline passes, including the Route des Grand Alpes, then the full Route Napoleon.   ;D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 01:42:06 pm »
Hi Colin

I’d recommend lots of homework, including is this a flash in the pan move or long haul, frankly i’d Avoid ESA like the plague, but that’s me being used to aftermarket suspension.

Offline colin72blue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 01:59:04 pm »
Hi Colin

I’d recommend lots of homework, including is this a flash in the pan move or long haul, frankly i’d Avoid ESA like the plague, but that’s me being used to aftermarket suspension.

Just starting the homework stage and keen to try one but there don't seem to be many nice ones close to me that i can demo. As for the flash in the pan vs keeper its difficult to say at this point. Thought the GSA would be a keeper until i realised it wouldn't fit through the gate due to the width! Plus i realised i preferred the non adventure after riding one.

Also thought HP2 would be a keeper but its just not my thing any more. Prefer a more comfortable and relaxing ride. Also tried an S1000xr recently but also wasn't for me

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2021, 02:48:11 pm »
Ah the HP2! Any pictures?

EDIT: Good point re Adventure width! My K fit through my garage back door nicely, my GS I have to take the bar ends off and still waggle it! So that's the Adventure ruled out for me, must remember! :)
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline colin72blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 03:59:46 pm »
Ah the HP2! Any pictures?

EDIT: Good point re Adventure width! My K fit through my garage back door nicely, my GS I have to take the bar ends off and still waggle it! So that's the Adventure ruled out for me, must remember! :)

I’ll have to work out how to add photos?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 05:09:04 pm »
There is a guide to posting photos in the How To section  :winkthumbs:

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2021, 05:28:10 pm »
Hi Colin

Just starting the homework stage and keen to try one but there don't seem to be many nice ones close to me that i can demo. As for the flash in the pan vs keeper its difficult to say at this point. Thought the GSA would be a keeper until i realised it wouldn't fit through the gate due to the width! Plus i realised i preferred the non adventure after riding one.

Also thought HP2 would be a keeper but its just not my thing any more. Prefer a more comfortable and relaxing ride. Also tried an S1000xr recently but also wasn't for me

Right deep breath...dates might be a tad out...

Bought an R1100s(98 reg) )off a mate in 2000 which was pretty dam trick and just carried on...and in 01 bought a new 955 Tiger also much modded and ran those two until 09 when I bought my 2007 K1200r Sport, somewhere along the way I acquired an XT660X but that really is another story...and nothing else till 2016 when I bought a new S1000XR, then 19 10k appeared out of thin air so bought a KTM GT so I have a cross section of society of which the K fits in well...any questions fire away.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2021, 06:01:58 pm »
Right, I've spoken to my friend (well, WhastApp message ..) and he's definitely going to sell between mid October and end of March next year. Likely to be replaced with a KTM SD1290GT.

He hadn't thought about the price but is doing so now. When he's done that, he'll release all the mileage, extras etc. details.

He did say to mention that it is the last K1300S Sport sold in the UK. There were only MotorSports after his bike. :D

Having owned a Sport and a MotorSport, I think my preference would be for the sport. The difference the cast wheels make to turn in is not noticeable and the solid pegs are bloody sore when they clout your leg when moving the bike around.

As for ESA, I've had no issues with it on either of my bikes, both of which did over 50k miles. My Sport, now owned by a friend, is still going strong with well over 76k miles on it and has had a rear shock rebuild (at about 65k) by MCT. I certainly never felt the suspension lacking and  was happy to ride to the limits of the tyres when road conditions allowed. The advantage in being able to switch between sport and comfort as the road conations dictate is something not to be under estimated.