Author Topic: K1200R 2006  (Read 22993 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: K1200R 2006
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2021, 02:34:35 pm »
It was quite common for the dealer to give me a GS when my K's were being serviced. I never bonded with the GS. Compared to the K they felt tall and heavy with a complete lack of power. There was no "excitement" when riding them in the way there was with the K. Where the K felt like a wolf in sheeps clothing the GS always felt like a sheep in sheeps clothing.

As said by Andy, after the loaner GS, the K always felt like my ares was in the air, at least for the first couple of miles. The K also felt "tiny" after the GS, which, in reality, was something it never actually was.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2021, 04:05:15 pm »
I never had a GS as a courtesy bike, even with the number of trips I used to make to the dealer! This was because I'd say "woah, no flipping tall ass bikes with these legs remember!"

Thus I was at a disadvantage when I finally got to ride one :P. That's my excuse anyway. Someone is going to have to put their wallet in my hands and let me back on a K at the Wrinklies this year to see if I feel like I used to when getting back on the K!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

revd

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2021, 05:25:48 pm »
Agreed with the above! I got back onto my tiny little K and felt it was a proper race bike, arse in the air and sky high redline.  I went howling down the street and had to roll off quickly and behave!  Loved being back on it and had a short journey home.  What a cracking lovely bike to ride and it is relaxing to pootle along in sixth at 60mph knowing that I just have to flick the throttle to be in 3 figure speed before you can take your next breath.  Brakes were flushed, new fluid, all calipers stripped and cleaned, fluids and filters all done.  K&N cleaned.  Worth spending the money and it makes me feel better knowing it is all sorted. MOT for the bike next Friday and all sorted for another year of fun riding.

revd

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2021, 09:43:15 pm »

SWMotech Plate and adapter plate fitted.  Used spacers to get a nice height.  Now on the lookout for a nice Givi topbox to finish off the job.  Gave the last one I had away, but it was a bit battered, so just as well!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2021, 07:25:58 am »
A top box? The devils work!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2021, 07:41:26 am »
I never had a GS as a courtesy bike, even with the number of trips I used to make to the dealer! This was because I'd say "woah, no flipping tall ass bikes with these legs remember!"

Thus I was at a disadvantage when I finally got to ride one :P. That's my excuse anyway. Someone is going to have to put their wallet in my hands and let me back on a K at the Wrinklies this year to see if I feel like I used to when getting back on the K!

Well Matt what do you think about getting back on a K now after riding the GS with the Ks over the hills and around Wales. 8) ;D
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2021, 09:33:59 am »
You know what Tom, I'm going to say I'm happy to stick with the GS!

I felt much happier and less tired at the end of each day than previous years. Though we did have a different mix of roads, but definitely I felt more confident on all types, from the fast stuff to the gravel and craters parts of Monday.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2021, 10:27:01 am »

SWMotech Plate and adapter plate fitted.  Used spacers to get a nice height.  Now on the lookout for a nice Givi topbox to finish off the job.  Gave the last one I had away, but it was a bit battered, so just as well!

How do you use spacers with the three 1/4 turn fasteners on the adaptor plate Gordon?

revd

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2021, 08:26:40 pm »

How do you use spacers with the three 1/4 turn fasteners on the adaptor plate Gordon?

Spacers are under the SWMotech plate which is on the grab handle of the bike.  Spacers lift this up a bit. The Givi adaptor plate goes straight onto the SWMotech plate, so no worries there.

Topboxes are a necessary evil in being able to lock up helmet and gloves and boots.  I can pack my shoes, robes and stoles if I am taking a service elsewhere and it is waterproof too! Win win.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2021, 10:26:44 pm »
I can pack my shoes, robes and stoles if I am taking a service elsewhere and it is waterproof too!

I think we can definitely save that one in top 10 list of 'What do I use my topbox for?'.

At number 1.

revd

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2021, 05:28:19 pm »
I have someone coming to view the bike tomorrow.... it may have a new home soon.  Not because there is anything wrong with it, it is superb and great fun to ride.  I've only done 1187 miles in 14 months! The least in all my years of riding.  I'm looking to change to something a bit more sedate, with a different character.  May well be a BMW still, perhaps a nice R1200R will tick the box!

revd

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2021, 04:45:46 pm »
Bike sold! He was very happy with its condition and the bits I had on it, so off it has gone to a new owner to enjoy being ridden!