Author Topic: Re-calibrate ESA, when and why  (Read 1600 times)

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
Re-calibrate ESA, when and why
« on: June 23, 2020, 09:07:30 am »
Hi all,
I've just bought a motoscan and one of the possible options is to "re-calibrate the ESA".  Now I know what it does (thank you google), but I'm unsure of why.  Certainly, if you swap out a shock from another model, like changing a GSA shock into a K, I can see the need as it needs to set the max and min for the particular bike.  But in normal day to day service/use,  if you haven't changed anything, and your shock is working away fine, to the best of your knowledge, is there any need/advantage to re-calibrating it?  Does it lose it's settings over time? Or is it a "don't push the red button" scenario?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Re-calibrate ESA, when and why
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:24:55 am »
Welllll.....

The front is an open loop system i.e. no feedback. So in theory it 'could' lose its marbles. After all, the ICV (Idle Control Valve) does it with monotonous regularity.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 10:00:36 pm »
I've had it once, and that was after I had disconnected the battery, during wintertime, for a longer period of time. I'm not 100% sure that that had been the real cause why the ESA didn't work any longer, but I have always thought it had. Unfortunately, the mechanic hadn't diagnosed it that way : he initially thought the switch block was faulty. Only after the new (switch block) didn't solve the problem, he connected the bike to the diagnostic software (should've been the other way around, to start with   :-X  ).

After diagnosing the bike (properly, that second go), it became obvious that the ESA had lost its reset-point (or zero-point, or how could you name it properly).

(the bike may be good, but the dealership may be the weak point too, I sold my bike after more - and more expensive - trouble, in my opinion also caused by this same weak dealership ...)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 12:00:20 pm »
Disconnecting the battery for more than 2 hours would always result in lost or calibration. Anytime you change the rear shock absorber you need to connect it to the dealers pc. 
Embrace the wind.