Author Topic: Another rad bites the dust - gulp  (Read 11698 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Another rad bites the dust - gulp
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 11:51:47 am »
Well, yes and no!

100% 'anti-freeze' makes for better protection against both corrosion and freezing but at the cost of both money and a thicker mix which 'may' not provide sufficient cooling in hot weather and high performance!

We need that chemist to tell us whether corrosion can take place in the virtually air-free environment inside an aluminium radiator  8)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 02:06:01 pm »
A bit of along read but interesting to see what the Yanks are trying to do about it.
Tar seems to be the problem and what type of secondary easily removable screen will keep it from the radiator.
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-maintenance-do-yourself/112994-waterless-k.html
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-maintenance-do-yourself/65889-checking-radiator-keeping-our-k16s-cool.html

Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 03:23:38 pm »
The thread on that second link is so picture heavy and took so long to load I grew a beard while I was waiting  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 03:27:58 pm »
Probably suits you Rae, welcome to the club....

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2016, 03:30:29 pm »
The thread on that second link is so picture heavy and took so long to load I grew a beard while I was waiting  ;)

sounds like a pc problem?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2016, 03:38:27 pm »

sounds like a pc problem?
No it's a typical septic website with far too many adverts. ???

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2016, 06:39:16 pm »
It is vacuum filled,  there are enough additives in the coolant it self so no need for extra distilled water or special liquids. Just follow the mixture ratio instructions as per the country you live.
Embrace the wind.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2016, 07:50:45 pm »
The bloke with K1600 spoke of as "that waterless coolant" and as his bike is dealer serviced i'm guessing it's a BMW product.
Unless he has been told a lot of bollocks.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2016, 08:42:38 pm »
It is vacuum filled,  there are enough additives in the coolant it self so no need for extra distilled water or special liquids. Just follow the mixture ratio instructions as per the country you live.

But, how does this account for the internal clogging?

Offline Twisty

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 11:03:46 am »

Nah! You're not old enough to grow a beard  :D
 8)
Ride safe
Dave

BMW R1200gs LC

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2016, 12:11:06 pm »
Two you tube videos about waterless fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-FpCpno23Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYydwWT1fQ4

and this specifically for dirt bikes http://motorcyclecoolant.co.uk/

I will try to find what my K1600 friend uses.

Will this stuff just hide a problem?

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2016, 01:19:05 pm »

But, how does this account for the internal clogging?
In my opinion internal clogging is an issue caused by the mechanic falling to follow or wrongly estimating the ratio water/ coolant.
Embrace the wind.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2016, 09:01:58 pm »
I got talking to Ian Gilby the owner of Advance Nano Coating http://hybridx.co.uk/.
They do a spray coating that he says would stop crud sticking to the radiator fins.
He said it copes with all heat on a bike except the exhaust headers.
I bought some to try the next time I clean the rad fins.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2016, 09:21:18 pm »
Now theres something id be interested to hear if it works

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2016, 10:24:02 pm »
You will have to wait for  while as I recently cleaned my rad.
But something like a Teflon type spray coating just might stop some of the crud clinging on to the rad fins and make it easier to wash off.