Author Topic: Another rad bites the dust - gulp  (Read 11698 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Another rad bites the dust - gulp
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2016, 11:09:34 pm »
So why couldn't it be smaller and higher up out of the flying crud like other bikes?
Because then it would not look like it does.

If there was a proper front mudguard then it would not be necessary to have a mud flap on the radiator. But that would not look cool, would it?

Bikes don't even have rear mudguards nowadays because that doesn't look cool either. Mind you covering the back of the pillion and the panniers with dirt when the road is wet isn't too clever either.

Perhaps the bike is not designed for use in the wet?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2016, 12:47:18 pm »
Perhaps because it is designed to stop the centre 1/3 of the radiator getting stoned to death and totally clogged by the crud from top to bottom of the core! As you discovered Ron, the problem area is the bottom corners.

Perhaps what we need is a full width version of the slatted crud-catcher  ::)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2016, 12:56:18 pm »
Cause it's a BMW : Belold More Worries. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 01:19:40 pm »
More on the Nu Calgon Tri-Pow’R HD.
Cal Shield could be a good idea to Teflon coat the rad to stop dirt build up.
Lots of info in this .pdf https://api.ferguson.com/dar-step-service/Query?USE_TYPE=INSTALLATION&PRODUCT_ID=1619093
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline lanerider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: All sorts added on and still adding on and on cant see me stopping
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2016, 02:04:37 pm »
A few years ago i had a car with a clogged up rad both on the inside and out it was a 4x4 off roader the fins were in a right state with baked on crud the local radiator shop said put it in your dishwater on a intensive wash cycle it brought the rad up like new and any repairs or damage were soldered and the rad lived to see another day .... may be worth a try 
lanerider

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 02:09:00 pm »
The BIG problem with intensive cleaning is that the 'crimps' that hold the plastic end cans on are integral with the aluminium core and if they start to allow leaks there is nothing you can do about it, the rad is toast!

Offline lanerider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: All sorts added on and still adding on and on cant see me stopping
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2016, 02:30:58 pm »
but it would be very clean
lanerider

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 02:34:43 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D :( :o

Offline alpinebiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2016, 03:52:36 pm »
I've joined the rad is toast club now :'(.

I'd trailered the bike up from my home in the Dordogne to ride the Alps with friends but after half a day it started to get estremely hot passing through traffic in Briancon and by the time I was ascending the pass up to Montgenvre the red warning triangle came on enforcing a stop.

I decided to stop and eat in the town two miles away so it cooled down but on the Col du Mt Cenis a repeat performance saw me stopped again with little choice than to cut short the ride (no riding over the Iseran) and take the motorway home.

I managed to get it into the local Swiss dealer on Tuesday and today found that the problem was the radiator, although quite why it's leaking oil from the clutch cover is another matter. Cost all in, a cool 1300chf which means its going home on the trailer in disgrace and will be officially retired until I save up some money to pay for the radiator, and the discs and front wheel bearing they also noted needed replacing. Add in a 90,000km service due in 2000kms and I'm looking at close on 2000chf or equivalent in euros/gbp.
I guess this is what happens when you keep one of these bikes long term, bills are huge, and worse still, I'm missing great roads and weather. 
"The older I get the faster I used to be"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2016, 04:07:13 pm »
Ouch Paul! Not good even for you rich Swiss resident types  8)

Have they said what was wrong with the rad? As per the rest of this thread, some judicious cleaning may be all that is needed, fingers crossed!

Did they give a reason for the oil leak?

Brian (who hasn't done any miles since the last rad clean so it must be time for another one  ::) )

Offline alpinebiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2016, 04:53:13 pm »
I'm a poor Brit residing in France!

They said the radiator was blocked internally so I'm assuming its rusted

Waiting for the news on the oil leak tomorrow when I collect it  :-[
"The older I get the faster I used to be"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2016, 11:17:46 pm »
Wow, let's hope the French let you stay with the new world order and all!

I've never heard of a modern rad getting so bad it is corroded up on the inside; but of course, the corrosion that builds up on the outside can build up on the inside.

But that shouldn't be able to happen if the proper coolant with inhibitor is used.

I think some diligent washing through with some of the stuff Ron was espousing has got to be worth a try, the worst it can do is make the rad come apart at the seams; it is toast without any attempt and you may well have the time to work on it if the funding issue turns out to be as severe as it seems it may.

Brian (who is looking forward to the Houdini-like explanation of the oil slick)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2016, 11:34:16 pm »
I'm still awaiting a reply to where it is sold in the UK.
Will post when it is received.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 07:42:10 am »
Ratio over 40% water in temperatures of northern europe would result in inside clrrosion. Sugest for the new rad onsist that the ratio is kept between 55 and 65 percent coolant .
For example here we work with 50 to 55% and never had an issue with rads.
Still main arose fm the crud mixture that they use on roads during winder. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2016, 11:02:59 am »
An IAM member with a K16 said he uses waterless coolant so no internal corrosion.
I thought the distilled water mixed with the coolant was supposed to do the same.
Also it is vacuum filled so no air in the system to help the corrosion along.
Is this correct?