Author Topic: 18k service  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Bournemouthben

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S no more.
18k service
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:25:29 pm »
My K12S is on a 58 plate, got it a year ago with 11k & full BMW Service history, now on 18k. It's clean and together and I want to keep it that way. It has warranty. What would you expect to pay for the 18k service? Reason I ask is when I originally prebooked it a 1000 miles ago I was (mis) quoted £200.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: 18k service
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:38:13 pm »
Pick a figure!

But, make sure you get your discount for it being a 'vintage' model! Seriously!

Brian (who can't remember off-hand, but thinks it might be as huge as 5%  8) )
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:15:28 pm by Phmode »

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:45:07 pm »
Snap their hand off

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:59:36 pm »
Mine is due very soon too. I was under the impression the 18k one was more towards the £500 end of the spectrum.  :(

However, its a means to an end. To paraphrase Sir Rawlinson's End:
- If I had all the money I'd spent on bikes, I'd spend it on bikes.

(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081520/quotes)

And is 18k the time to get them to check/clean the rad?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:16:41 pm »
In the UK you are about 15k too late for that!

Brian (who takes his rad off every time he parks his bike  8) )

Offline Bournemouthben

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S no more.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 06:13:22 am »
Thanks Guys. Knowing it is valve checks etc I thought it was wrong. Apparently that is for an 18k on a boxer engine. With "vintage" discount its looking at £450, plus the rear TPMS reading is slow to display so may need replacing, so doing the tyres at the same time....oh and the warranty renewal will be coming round soon.Then I should be all set for another 12 months- just add fuel!  :o

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:43:56 am »
All services can vary vastly from bike to bike depending on its history as things like brake fluid change and final drive fluid change can be added on because of time rather than mileage. I got my 18K service cheap as the bike needed warranty work and they offset the labour, but is was still £273. The 36K service was done properly though and I "ONLY" paid £334,  Just dont think its only BMW that charge these sorts of prices, when I had my Tiger 955 I did all my own servicing but remember asking Cheltenham Triumph what a big service would cost with them and it was over £500, and that was 5 or 6 years ago.

All in all my KGT cost around £1800 a year in servicing and tyres, bonkers when I look back it but I was doing the mileage and 3 services and 3 to 4 tyre swaps a year mounts up.

Still peanuts compared to the Big League, I was chatting to a guy with a AM Vantage who had just had to fork out £5000 for his service, relative I suppose, the car is about 10 times the price of a bike, mind you he was telling me that the main cost was discs and pads all round, £1000 per wheel!!!
I told him he was a cheapskate and should have gone for Carbon Ceramics when he bought the car ;D. he sort of smiled at that, but I think I hit a nerve

PS: No, hes not a mate, it was one of those weird moments at a services when the guy in the Aston pulled in and was asking me about the bike
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 08:27:20 pm »
Thanks Guys. Knowing it is valve checks etc I thought it was wrong. Apparently that is for an 18k on a boxer engine. With "vintage" discount its looking at �450, plus the rear TPMS reading is slow to display so may need replacing, so doing the tyres at the same time....oh and the warranty renewal will be coming round soon.Then I should be all set for another 12 months- just add fuel!  :o

North Oxford are saying around �340 for mine assuming no unexpected suprises. That excludes brake and clutch and final drive fluids since they were done at 12k.
And the recall will be done too.

I'll let you know the actual cost come June...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:09:46 pm by Phmode »