Author Topic: Hello from Malaysia!  (Read 4155 times)

Offline lacmac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
Hello from Malaysia!
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:09:33 am »
Hi everyone,

Im originally from the isle of Lewis in Scotland. Now living in Malaysia for the last 3yrs.

Ive just bought my first BMW bike, a 2009 K1300s with 33000kms. It has a few problems, info switch not working, shift assist also not working and vibes are terrible at above 7000.Was the first time ive ever had pins & needles in my right hand.
Anyway the bike is at the dealer getting all the recalls done, so hopefully it will be all ok.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Hello from Malaysia!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 11:06:09 am »
Hello and welcome to the madhouse man fm the other side of the globe.
A few on the bike, switches are to be changed under general recall so that will fix issue.
Switch gear shift assist if not operational needs adjustment via the PC . problems with it means that someone tried to readjust its position resulting to that issue. Be aware that the slightest change in shift gear adjustment requires the PC for new update on system.
Vibes most certainly are present cause some of the frame bolts and  in most cases the rear ones need to be tighten to correct specs using a torque key, some times the special washer needs replacement too. Vibes were an issue to older K12 models and are not present to K13 still you might have an exception bike. Its not easy that fix so hope you get it done there. There is a relevant thread with similar complains for one more K13 bike and its here too and another one at Technical with all recalls.
Embrace the wind.

Offline lacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 12:29:49 pm »
Thanks Costas,

Thanks for the welcome.

I did a lot of research befroe i bought it, had the recalls not been done for free i wouldnt of chosen this bike.

As for the vibes, this is one big problem. Worse bike so far for this and ive had busas, zzrs, cbrs etc.

Would the rear frame bolts cause vibes on the bars? Ive bought some gels grips so alleviate the vibes.

I have numerous warnings on the display. The tyre pressure monitor batteries are flat so i need to replace them. I read that it is possible to melt the plastic to get at the battery. 

Im leaving the bike at the dealer for a month as I'll be away on holiday. Should give them plenty of time to sort it out.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 01:01:37 pm »
Hi Lachlan and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub; I think we only need one member on Easter Island and we truly have spanned the globe  8)

Costas has given you all the info you need to get the switches etc sorted. Although the vibes, as he said, normally live in the K12, mine was never too bad and the Grip Puppies sorted out most of it. However, as you can read elsewhere in here (if you do a search for 'vibes', 'vibrations' etc) mine suddenly began to sound like the engine was falling out, literally!

After a little delving (and a new torque wrench) I discovered that almost all my engine bolts were merely 'nipped' with some being less than finger tight. This happened suddenly and after vibe-free(ish) riding for 3 years on the bike. I merely tightened all the bolts in the correct sequence as listed in the REPRom (BMW workshop manual, available for about £20 as a download from t'internet or for about £100 on DVD from your local dealer).

I would also make sure that your bar end weights are tight, although as he dealer will (should) be changing the switchgear under the general recall, they will tighten them afterwards, (if they need to remove then, can't remember off-hand if they need to come off to change the 13 switchgear).

Hope you get everything sorted and do make sure you let us alll know the outcome.

Brian (who thinks there is something wrong with someone working in Malaysia and getting time off for a holiday  ;D )

PS What a great Scottich name you have there.

Offline lacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 03:29:28 pm »
Thanks for the info phmode,.

I did a search on vibes and not a lot came up. Mostly to do with accessories and one with knackered headrace bearings. Ive trolled the tinternet and found a few possibilties including as you said, tightening up the mounting bolts. Ive just ordered a torx socket set.
I would have thought if the mount bolts were causing the vibes I'd feel it through the pegs and not just in the bars.

I did notice a distinct knocking nois when i bounced on the front end with brake on, but it could of been the brake pads. Hard to tell when i by myself.

The rear rack,any idea how much weight it can hold?

Im a seaman, so i work 6 weeks on and 6 weeks of. Going back to scotland to visit my family. I got a 14 month daughter with me, not looking forward to the long haul flight :(

Ive a triple barrled scottish name (bit of a pain here) , get called Lachie for short, usully most people pronounce it as lucky or latchie,. Ive given up trying to correct people lol.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 03:52:23 pm »
Welcome aboard, Lachlan; that is a long haul but worth it to see The Isle of Lewis and the family again, I'm sure. At least, when you're home you probably won't miss the K as a GS is more likely to be the weapon of choice for Lewis roads.

Offline lacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 01:34:43 am »
Even a GS would find its suspension fully tested. You know every year they just dump tons of stone chips on to the road and let the vehicles run them into the ground. Plenty of broken windscreens abd stone chip damage then.

But its still nice to go home and away from this 35c heat!  Not ideal biking conditions lol

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 08:38:18 am »
I'm afraid it's not just on Lewis that they do that! I think the whole of Scotland gets treated to that cheap resurfacing method. Very unpleasant on a bike.

A humid 35C and good roads in Ipoh. 14C and cloudy in Stornoway today and poor roads. You can't get a break, can you Lachlan?
Hardly surprising that you're a seaman!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:48:48 am by Dusty »

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:39:43 pm »
The rear rack if you mean the plastic tail will hold easily about 25 kilos as tried many times in long trips so far.
The specs say 40 pounds limit and direct weight 14 pounds limit but as said had no issues loading the small BMW bag (30-35 lit s/n 77498549323) to its limit and in other times a T-bag or a WUNDERLICH tail bag all at the limit always around 20 kilos.
the one that really fit the dimensions of the tail is the WUNDERLICH.
Lately for around the city had installed the GIVI 47 lit bag with only the supporter placed over the tail, that one can hold many more and heavier staff, that is a solution that will cause issues when you drive fast in curvy roads it really effects bikes performance and behavior.
Embrace the wind.

Offline lacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 08:02:45 pm »
Thanks Costas,

Ive fitted a Givi base plate to it for my 42ltr box. I wondered if it would over load the plastic rack but i wont put more than 10-15kg in it.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 08:30:20 am »
I wont expect any issues other than the bikes performance 9due to aerodynamic load) on fast rides.
Embrace the wind.

Offline lacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 08:49:12 am »
Thats good. Yes i would expect a bit of a wobble above 130mph

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 09:16:49 am »
I'd be surprised, the K is extremely stable! With the Sport Cases and a Givi top box on (the SW-Motech rack) there is no instability at all up to 156 mph solo, can't speak for higher speeds or two up.

Brian (who is always amazed at the stability when the envelope gets pushed)

Offline lacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 09:23:48 am »
Even better news!

Not that I'd even think about breaking the national speed limit  ;D

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 10:04:21 am »
The beast is capable of cruising at speeds well over the 120mph limit with two up, sport panniers, the GIVI 47 and the huge 44lit tank bag and all with side winds in the area of 30mph and rain. Nothing can beat that. Proven.
Embrace the wind.