Author Topic: How do you remove the inner cylinder spark plugs?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline intrntpirate

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
How do you remove the inner cylinder spark plugs?
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:22:56 pm »
Hello,

I'm working on performing a valve clearance check on a K13S and have followed the service manual DVD, however I can't figure out how you're supposed to get the inner two cylinder spark plugs out. No matter what angle I try to put the extended socket in from, it always hits a support member connected to the wheel carrier. Is there a trick that I'm missing?

I'm still waiting on some low profile torx bits to arrive in order to remove the cover screws. Perhaps the best thing to do is to remove the cover and then remove the inner two spark plugs?

Thanks,
Cody

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: How do you remove the inner cylinder spark plugs?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 09:53:34 am »
Need to remove all parts to excess them , the service DVD has all the procedure , your a missing a chapter or follow a detergent service procedure. .
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 11:56:31 pm »
They are easy to remove.

You require a 3/8" spark plug socket and a couple of short extensions. Put one extension on the socket and lower it into the spark plug recess. Then fit the other extension and then the 3/8" ratchet spanner.

Once the spark plug is loosened I remove the spanners and use a short length of hose, which fits tightly over the porcelain section of the plug, to unscrew and remove the spark plug.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline intrntpirate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 02:12:01 pm »
Got them out with a spark plug socket that had a ball joint above the socket. Apparently the BMW spark plug socket is intended to be used only when the engine has been removed from the bike. :-|

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 12:19:52 pm »
Got them out with a spark plug socket that had a ball joint above the socket. Apparently the BMW spark plug socket is intended to be used only when the engine has been removed from the bike. :-|

...which the stealers probably do every time they change the plugs...