Author Topic: New K1600GT Sport in Showrooms  (Read 11245 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: New K1600GT Sport in Showrooms
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 07:28:16 pm »
You mean the 'head bearings' that hold the steering stem rather than either of the two ball-joints then Costas.
Corectly observed .,the good news is that the problem is now solved.
Initially some went so far as to state that new fairing design might contribute to steering vibes issue, nevertheless nor ball joints neither  ESA issues were causing it, a simple fix by replacemnt of a single part and all cleared now. Motorrad was very quick in responding to issue as they have made a huge bet with this bike.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 09:20:03 am »
First bikes starting to arrive for test rides and delivery now. Not heard anything but positive reviews for the upgrades so far. Can't wait for my test ride  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYY_Fap5wmU

gibbo

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 10:15:32 am »
Didn't realise the amount of switches/buttons on the left hand side. Looks confusing. The bike is pleasing to look at but at 23,200 Euros for the standard model and an extra 500 Euros for the Sport, that's a lot of hard earned cash. Think I'll stick with what I have.  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 10:38:45 am »
Didn't realise the amount of switches/buttons on the left hand side. Looks confusing.

I think the only thing they haven't used for a control, apart from your backside, is the left twist-grip!

Two throttle hands anyone   ::)

gibbo

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2017, 09:59:35 am »
Didn't realise the amount of switches/buttons on the left hand side. Looks confusing.

I think the only thing they haven't used for a control, apart from your backside, is the left twist-grip!

Two throttle hands anyone   ::)

;D  A pair of Ray Bans on the switches for sun protection me thinks.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 06:16:53 pm »
Didn't realise the amount of switches/buttons on the left hand side. Looks confusing. The bike is pleasing to look at but at 23,200 Euros for the standard model and an extra 500 Euros for the Sport, that's a lot of hard earned cash. Think I'll stick with what I have.  ;)

You soon get used to the switch gear - it is very intuitive, and pretty much the same on all BMWs now days. But your right about the price  :o

It's a bit of a double whammy as well - this is facelift model so there is quite a demand, and straight away the old model has dropped a few quid on the trade in. They have stopped throwing the comfort pack in free and no discount, and top of that the price just went up another £200 since it first went on the website  >:(

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2017, 01:15:21 pm »
Test Ride booked for the 25th Feb, when BMW launch all there new models. At Cannons they have a BBQ going as well so its a Test Ride and a Hot Dog  :)

A few things I will want to know:

• Has the Euro4 tune affected throttle response or power delivery?
  • Does the Dynamic ESA suit the K16GT? As everyone mentions, it is a big bike so it needs to stay composed when ridden hard.
  • Does the two way quick shift work? Its a lot better than when it was launched, but the K16 gearbox is still pretty poor.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 09:10:53 am »
Ok here is my opinion with the new bike arrived for pretest period, last Thursday.
It's my riding opinion and for a better justified one you'll have to wait until your sales rep returns fm Faro Portugal, where he will test and throughly discuss with others the bike, well all new bikes fm Motorrad that is.
The new improved ESA with a new valve especially designed for the heavier bike is excellent, respons imediately and let's you feel all changes. Allows lean angle a bit lower another plus.
Quick sift u-d,  you'll love it, left me with no space or need to add any comments.
The new engine mapping to accommodate new euro4 regulations is generally speaking not effecting power delivery, the one thing personally noticed is that at very high speeds over 240 the response was slower that in previus model, do not ask when someone will ride at that speeds it was a test ride had to check as much as possible.
Cannot say nothing about steering,  everything worked exactly the way it suppose to, in fact less vibes arrive to hands than the previous model.
Bike is back at Central depot and will return to dealers end on a a month along with other new models. For new test rides accompanied with comments fm sales persons.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 05:24:05 pm »
Cheers Costas - looking forward to it even more now.

One things for sure, I wont be testing out at 240kmh anywhere in Essex  :o

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 06:03:18 pm »
The A120 used to be a good road Simon.

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2017, 01:06:10 pm »
Ok here is my opinion with the new bike arrived for pretest period, last Thursday.
It's my riding opinion and for a better justified one you'll have to wait until your sales rep returns fm Faro Portugal, where he will test and throughly discuss with others the bike, well all new bikes fm Motorrad that is.
The new improved ESA with a new valve especially designed for the heavier bike is excellent, respons imediately and let's you feel all changes. Allows lean angle a bit lower another plus.
Quick sift u-d,  you'll love it, left me with no space or need to add any comments.
The new engine mapping to accommodate new euro4 regulations is generally speaking not effecting power delivery, the one thing personally noticed is that at very high speeds over 240 the response was slower that in previus model, do not ask when someone will ride at that speeds it was a test ride had to check as much as possible.
Cannot say nothing about steering,  everything worked exactly the way it suppose to, in fact less vibes arrive to hands than the previous model.
Bike is back at Central depot and will return to dealers end on a a month along with other new models. For new test rides accompanied with comments fm sales persons.

So Costas, would you consider buying a new k1600gt, either now or when your K1300S wears out?

I must admit, I am very tempted but am loathe to part with Old Faithfull who currently has 62,000 miles on the clock and still as good as new.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 08:34:38 pm »
The current finances are Forbidding.
The bike is the best touring bike ever produced. So far.
K1300s is the best sports -  touring bike ever prodused, so will stick to my bike. So far.
The K would always be in my garage, done decided, surely in the near future another bike would come to my premises but it's not the big 16.
Embrace the wind.

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 10:10:30 am »
Thanks for your thoughts Costas. I will probably test drive the new K16 but keep Old Faithful for now. Frankly, the trade-in value is more of an insult than an inducement to sell!!

Tony

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2017, 11:13:14 am »
So true.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 04:57:00 pm »
The A120 used to be a good road Simon.

;D Yep - had my test ride a week early and gave it a go on the A12 and A120 as well as the back roads around Whitham.

Has the Euro4 tune affected throttle response or power delivery?
I rode my current K16 for around 50 miles before the test ride to get a good comparison. Costas is right, the top does feel a little flat, not sure if it really is as it felt alright flat out in 5th at those sort of speeds but didn't seem to have the roll on high up in 6th? Really noticeable is the "dead" feel in the initial throttle openings - the current model is instant, the new one is very soft on the first 5% of throttle even in Dynamic mode. What i did notice is the exhaust seems evern better than before - probably the best sound of any bike with standard exhausts.

Does the Dynamic ESA suit the K16GT? As everyone mentions, it is a big bike so it needs to stay composed when ridden hard.
Not a problem. Suits the big bike in Road mode and you can still go hooligan in Dynamic mode. It does feel a little soft compared to my normal ESA2 bike, but I am not sure how it is supposed to work? It feels like it adds damping accelerating out of bends etc and keeps it soft when cruising on the straights, but I could be wrong?

Does the two way quick shift work? Its a lot better than when it was launched, but the K16 gearbox is still pretty poor
Well this if very good. The new gearbox feels really nice anyway, and the up shifts are much like my K13 with the quickshifter, providing you are accelerating it feels good even at quite low revs. The downshift is amazing - it is the first time I have ridden any bike with this and I love it. The K16 doesn't "blip" very well when slowing from speed for corners and roundabouts etc, but now you just stamp it down and it matches revs beautifully.

When I got the bike back to Cannons, their forecourt is quite steep so I gave the Reverse a go. Perfect for that situation and I think it might be another one of the gadgets that gets used more than you think it would. I never thought I would use the Hill Start option but miss it when I am on my other bike and even my car.

Overall, what a great bike.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:41:47 pm by Belco100 »