Author Topic: Electric bike - 145bhp  (Read 17479 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Electric bike - 145bhp
« on: December 12, 2017, 07:45:57 pm »
http://www.energicamotor.com/energica-ego-electric-motorcycle/

Pricey, but interesting. We're getting closer to a decent power spec, but still only a 125 mile range, and that's if you're careful.
Anbd no hint of the weight. Annoying.

Anyway, they've just been awarded the MotoGP-e Series single manufacturer:
https://motomatters.com/news/2017/12/12/energica_named_as_official_motorcycle.html

UK supplier:
http://motocorsa.truetracksoftware.co.uk/energica_range.php

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Electric bike - 145bhp
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:47:11 pm »
Well, a tank range of 125 puts it firmly in the Honda VFR territory, so it is getting there slowly.

And, with Power Tanks getting better, even carrying a 'spare gallon' is going to be a realistic proposition.

Having been severely blown off by a battery powered Tesla t'other day, I am almost sad I won't be around to own a decent electric sports tourer...

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 11:18:23 pm »
Aye they're quick enough. I found one on the a39 earlier this year and found he got stuck in traffic like any other car 8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 11:42:07 pm »
...as was I when I pulled out to overtake him!

In the time it took my brute to change direction he was gone. Seemingly no acceleration, merely an instant change of location.

Of course, he didn't have the mettle for an ongoing battle and after a mile or two he baulked at an overtake and I was past and never saw him again. Flat battery perhaps...

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 11:49:41 pm »
He probably didn't even have it in insane mode. Did he have his hands on the steering wheel? Scary!!
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:03:28 am »
Even some of the baby leccy cars are fast. I'm weirdly drawn towards an i3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbcuMfzGG3Y

Spooky silence.

As there will be after 114 miles, too.

Online black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 09:19:21 am »
Impressive, but I'd be surprised if you managed 114 miles driving like that!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 09:30:15 am »
I thought my quattro had great torque being a big oil burner but peak torque at zero rpm is something infernal combustion engine drivers can only dream about.

The thought of not having a clutch fills me with dread though 😱

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 10:16:33 am »
MCN done a test on a couple of electric bikes earlier in the year. Both supposed to have a range of 110 miles, so they went on an 80 mile ride. Neither of them done well, and one went into "Power Save" mode on a dual carriage way and slowed to 30mph. Both really needed charging half way  :o

Then it is was at least half an hour to charge back into a state where they could move again! And I moan that my K16 only does about 250 miles between top ups, this would drive me mad.

BMW have just announced that they are setting up a Battery Cell Competence Center (does that mean they already have a Battery Cell Incompetence Center ;D) to hopefully improve all of this? The main problems are with petrol you can just dump it in a tank in a few minutes, you can't just pour electricity into something you have to create a chemical reaction of some kind, and if you do enough of it for a vehicle it creates loads of heat, so it can't be done too fast.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/detail/T0276448EN/bmw-group-invests-200-million-euros-in-battery-cell-competence-centre?language=en

One of my mates has just got an BMW i30, which is quite a funky little car, and is hybrid with a 650cc scooter engine tucked away that kick in a charges the battery on the move. But it was bloody expensive - you could buy a Focus and loads of petrol for that price.

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 10:41:10 am »
Italian made.
Electric only bike.
Does not compute LOL.

The Italians have never been very good at electricery.

In fairness, I think they just don't understand wet weather & the detail required to stop water entering anything electrical.

I still remember my 860 Ducati, bought new in Feb 1977.
Went to the Trossachs rally late Feb.
Broke down in heavy rain on the way home.

Eventually found the rubber boot surrounding the coil full of water.
Rubber boot ripped off & I was on my way again.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 06:00:20 pm »
Alfa and Fiat owners of yore are nodding sagely and stroking their beards in sympathy.

Mind, most Mini owners I ever knew who went out in the filth all had a seemingly endless supply of Marigold gloves in the boot. A perfect fit over the distributor and a 'teat' for each plug lead and the king lead up the thumb...

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 03:13:47 pm »
They could introduce a top-box that holds extra batteries for the bike.. It wouldn't be at all top heavy..

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 11:57:59 am »
Am afraid they are pushing hard towards electric still there is a long way to go. Many mew things will happen at the begining of new  decade when technology catches  up.
Embrace the wind.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 05:21:06 pm »
A very boring man on my street drives a Mitsubishi Hybrid and waffles on about its 145 MPG range (Piffle) The daft bugger sets off in winter and if he is on battery only mode, he has no lights on, no heated seats on, no heater or heated screen on. In summer (remember that) he sets off on the odd sweltering day on electric mode with no lights on and no air con on ! He has to have the windows down and then he is dragged back, literally. When he blew he's car's trumpet he looked aghast when I put it to him that  if we assume the national electricity supply's main purpose is not to charge up his cars huge battery's, it is to power Homes,Schools, Hospitals, Factories and the like. Accepting that assumption then when he does charge his car up it is safe to assume that substantial  charge of electricity  is courtesy of a coal fired power station as all the lovely green produced stuff has been used by the essential users not chummy in his Mitsu.
JS

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 01:04:39 am »
Does he pump his tyres up to 80 psi and drive in bare feet?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.