Author Topic: Intercom recommendations.  (Read 11015 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
Re: Intercom recommendations.
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 05:29:27 pm »
I'm still not hearing anyone extol the virtues of these Bluetooth sets for bike to bike. Anybody?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 08:44:05 pm »
Rae will be along shortly to extol to your heart's content!

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 09:02:48 pm »
Yes, My wife and I successfully use a Scala Q3 intercom between our bikes via Bluetooth. Absolutely no problems with it. No messy cables that you can forget to disconnect when dismounting the bike either! Also, very useful when wanting to pair up with other Scala users, as I did yesterday when out riding with a colleague who had a Scala Q9 intercom. Battery life of the actual unit is approx 9 hours between charges. It also pairs easily with the Nav 5 Sat Nav as well. Happy? Yes.

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 11:36:20 pm »
Rae is here, and me and Mrs Rae use our old Scala G4s without problems.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 12:41:01 pm »
So, Rae and Steve, what effective bike to bike range do you guys experience?
Thanks

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 01:19:34 pm »
Typical range on our Scala Q3 is about 1/4 mile. Anything over that and the signal starts to break up, bearing in mind it's only a bluetooth connection between the two intercom units.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:07:30 pm by Steve F »

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 01:54:55 pm »
So, Rae and Steve, what effective bike to bike range do you guys experience?
Thanks
I only use them for rider to pillion so cannot comment on bike to bike. I'm sure the manufacturers claims are correct for line of sight. The useable distance will obviously be reduced considerably in built up areas.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 02:00:25 pm »
Thanks, guys; I'll be interested to hear how perbunan gets on with his. I'm tempted to go bluetooth just to eliminate wires but concernd about the loss of range compared with the PMR radios.

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 03:52:34 pm »
Thanks, guys; I'll be interested to hear how perbunan gets on with his. I'm tempted to go bluetooth just to eliminate wires but concernd about the loss of range compared with the PMR radios.

Delivery due on Monday so test run next week some time.....

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 05:55:08 pm »
I'm still not hearing anyone extol the virtues of these Bluetooth sets for bike to bike. Anybody?

Go here...

http://support.sena.com/entries/54378520-Intercom-range-20S-to-20S

...read orl abaht it and save your money! I wish I had!

Brian (who still can't remember how to answer a phone call on his Sena S20  ::) )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 06:04:52 pm »
Interphone 4 Bluetooth is good for up to 1 mile, 5 slightly better than that , only the sena S20 can beat that , still around 1,5 miles distance is at the far limit of a Bluetooth system.
Any VHF system can beat that but the quality of the sound in not as good. VHF comms allow not only line of sight comms but (depending on the handheld unit amplifier power) and an earth traveling signal thus the distance they cover is greater than a Bluetooth system. The best in market ever was the Motorola p210 with 8 watts able to go as far as 20 kms line of sight comms, with base unit powered by the car or a motorcycle lighter socket was a miracle gadjet.
Then limitations to the watts amplifier output was implemented and such handheld radios even for military purposes were discontinued. 
My money now are with the sena systems.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 06:15:16 pm »
....BUT, the range on a Sena system is limited to about 400 metre between any two units, that's about as far as BT goes.

To get to the range of 2 km claimed by Sena, you have to have 8 bikes, all using Sena S20's, 'daisy-chained' together, all with 8 channel intercom enabled AND THE BIKES HAVE TO STAY IN THE ORDER OF THE INITIAL DAISY-CHAIN ALL THE WHILE THEY ARE ON THE ROAD and every member of the 'group' must remain within 400 m of the bikes either side of them.

If one bike drops out, the daisy-chain collapses but the riders either side remain in mini-chains! If one unit's battery goes flat, the chain collapses but the bits either side remain as mini-chains etc.

You'll be lucky to get 400 m line of sight in open country with any BT system!

With only two riders, Sena S20's give about 400 m max range!

Offline Steve F

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 07:14:18 pm »
Exactly Brian! :) My Scala is good for about 1/4 mile (as stated in an earlier post) which is........400m!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 07:50:13 pm »
Exactly Brian! :) My Scala is good for about 1/4 mile (as stated in an earlier post) which is........400m!

Er, aproximately   ::)

I was wittering on so that no-one else fell for the marketing hype and bought a Sena 20S expecting to talk to their mate a mile away when there are only two of em in the chain!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 08:21:56 pm »
You now better since you have it , was not aware of the described configiration to achive distance have to admit, the rumor here supports companies  claims but as have no personal opinion might as well take your word for it and stay away fm it, have to admit was going to get it , love its remote control.
In any case am currently satisfied with my system 5 bmw helmets , old but still me and my pillion after 8 years enjoy them , up to now only a pair of batteries was needed.
The interphone 4 on the other hand (bought for 240£ , back in 2010 fm Nippy Normans with a coupon of 10% discount offered to the old site members) now is retired sitting in my garage in its box cause started to pressent varius issues, cable connections,  microphones, earphones,  all at some point needed replacement.
If someone needs some parts huppy to give them.
Embrace the wind.