Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 131833 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: K1200S
« Reply #405 on: January 11, 2019, 03:27:46 pm »
Likewise, I'm not sure that it's always clear what is and what isn't an overtaking opportunity. I know that in my previous car (a 3cyl 980xx Toyota Aygo) overtaking opportunities were very few and far between, especially if there was more than 1 person in the car. I'm sure Brian's "ballistic" Audi would fly past in a number of situations where the Aygo had only managed to add another 2mph!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #406 on: January 11, 2019, 04:22:03 pm »
I don't like ridiing behind anything and prefer a clear road ahead. Also if you are riding quickly there is less chance that someone is on your back wheel, therefore I like to ride in a gap rather than a convoy, daylight or night time.

When driving the van through the lanes I like a fast vehicle in front with a 5 second gap and use their brake lights for advance info on traffic coming the other way.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #407 on: January 11, 2019, 11:04:22 pm »
There are no valid reasons for following another vehicle which is going slower than you would otherwise go for more than the shortest of distances on the open road if you have the ability to overtake.

Among the many reasons to not follow are:

Target fixation
Not being able to see hazards ahead and, therefore
Relying on the driver in front to see hazards and take appropriate action
Dozing off
Ending up parked on someone else's drive in a strange town miles from home.

David. Quite correct about the little monster. It will overtake almost as fast as the bike. The BIG problem is I keep having to remind myself that it needs a slightly larger landing site than the bike  :o

Oh, and filtering in the car is VERY embarrassing  8)

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #408 on: January 12, 2019, 12:05:29 am »
I reckon there's a fair few people who wrongly think the limit on single carriageway is 50. It was for a time many years ago. I have had to follow at dead on 50 for miles on many occasions.
Yes I overtake often, on bike and in my quick car. Nice of the overtakee to flash their headlamps after my move to thank me.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #409 on: January 12, 2019, 11:05:17 am »
I reckon there's a fair few people who wrongly think the limit on single carriageway is 50. It was for a time many years ago. I have had to follow at dead on 50 for miles on many occasions.
Yes I overtake often, on bike and in my quick car. Nice of the overtakee to flash their headlamps after my move to thank me.

I agree Andy, and if you were 'following' in your even bigger beast of a car then I would be most disppointed  8)

There is this odd thing in the car world where some of the fastest cars are driven the slowest; I have never seen a Porsche, of any stripe, going over the speed limit. Audi R8/10's keep getting in my way.

And, even when I wake someone up and they start to press on, they tend to give up after a few miles, missing overtakes, panic-braking for bends etc.

We have, in this country, bred a whole series of generations who have not a single clue about how their car or bike works, what its capabilities are in terms of engine, chassis or tyre performance nor how really, really good almost every modern car and bike is. A Triumph TR2 (with 4A engine and gearbox and clapped-out rear lever arm dampers) on Michelin X's anyone?

Ee, them were't days lad... :o

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #410 on: January 13, 2019, 01:11:43 pm »
So insurance renewal with Highway through Bennetts, lands at £562 inc £350 xs, legal, breakdown, personal and helmet & leathers cover. After a lot of dicking about through the MCN comparison site, I end up with a Highway policy through Bennetts including £350xs, 15k miles, personal and helmet & leathers cover, for £325. Even allowing that the legal and recovery cost was £43 last year, that's £200 cheaper. And I have recovery and travel insurance through my bank account anyway.
Robbin' illegitmates

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 13, 2019, 03:40:02 pm »
...and have you noticed how all renewal quotes now come with a caution...

'You have been a valued and loyal customer for over 300 years now and so you will find better insurance for less money elsewhere!'

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2019, 06:06:58 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ride5000miles/permalink/2097804000314426/

Just came across this snippet. Well known on FJR's if not cared for but was t aware it was common on  Ks

Eurotunnel ticket booked for the end of the month. AA recovery to sort tomorrow. IDP at the weekend I hope. God knows what I'll need at the end of March.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 05, 2019, 08:13:48 pm »
Not a very friendly link when you have to be a faceache member to view, Martin  ::)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 05, 2019, 08:22:49 pm »
Sorry forgot i was still a youngster

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 05, 2019, 08:33:44 pm »
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:35:23 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 05, 2019, 09:28:30 pm »
Hmmm?

That looks like it has had a loose connection, for some time, at the break-out point! The hole is elongated.

I suggest you get the bearings in your dog-bone link checked VERY carefully as there is a history and a recall on these parts. Was yours recalled and re-worked?

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2019, 09:34:03 pm »
The comments on fb indicate the bike had been nowhere but bmw dealers and despite (?) this the dogbone bolt had seized beyond anything he could do to remove it. Think he's off to have words with his dealer.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #418 on: February 06, 2019, 05:27:02 pm »
I have posted elsewhere on this site about the fact that BMW do not include lubrication of the doglink bearings in any of their services.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 06, 2019, 08:46:32 pm »
Thank you for that. Will be asking. The Yamaha problem is that it is in the service schedule but isn't done. At 86k and counting I am hoping it has been inspected.