Author Topic: Time for a new lid... C5 or Quantic  (Read 6712 times)

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
Re: Time for a new lid... C5 or Quantic
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2021, 02:52:52 pm »
In the end I think it's actually the D rings that make all the difference.
To what? (Quality? Comfort?)

Oh, and do tell us how you get on with it! Ta.

The first thing I thought when I tried on the Arai was that I preferred the D rings. Logically they make little difference, but it just felt better.

I will report back further when I've tried riding with the Arai. I took the K to be MOT'd yesterday; all of 2 miles but it looks like I've been rallying, so I'm not in a rush to get out until the roads dry out a bit.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2021, 03:18:03 pm »
Very early on remember the classic...one either has a Shoei head or an Arai head.

Both of us had used Arai RX7’s since the mid 90’s guess we change them every 5 years or so.

Always found it tricky getting the 2 lines of electrical tape at the top of the visor at the right height.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2021, 03:37:44 pm »
Very early on remember the classic...one either has a Shoei head or an Arai head.
Or an AGV head.
I was an Arai head but I think my nose grew and grew.

Yours,
Pinocchio

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2021, 12:33:55 am »
I've never understood the fascination with D rings. Way too fiddly for me and all the ones I struggled with in my youth used to work loose.

If they are such a great idea why don't seat belts have them. Competition cars could easily have them but none do.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2021, 01:42:25 pm »
I've never understood the fascination with D rings. Way too fiddly for me and all the ones I struggled with in my youth used to work loose.

If they are such a great idea why don't seat belts have them. Competition cars could easily have them but none do.

Small, simple, cheap, efficient, perfectly adjustable every time.

And a car has more space than is available under my chin.

Happy Christmas Brian!

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2021, 06:48:35 pm »

D-ring or Double-D ring fasteners are one of the main – and best and simplest – types of helmet fasteners you’ll find on modern motorcycle helmets.  Bar none.
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2021, 05:16:08 pm »

D-ring or Double-D ring fasteners are one of the main – and best and simplest – types of helmet fasteners you’ll find on modern motorcycle helmets.  Bar none.

In your opinion. Too fiddly by far. I've done my chinstrap up and and am on the bike in the time it takes your average biker to phaff with the D rings. And undoing them is so frustrating difficult it is easier to leave the helmet on till the next time I go out on the bike.

Nowhere near as user-friendly as the ratchet strap on my Schuberths in my opinion.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2021, 05:43:43 pm »

In your opinion. Too fiddly by far. I've done my chinstrap up and and am on the bike in the time it takes your average biker to phaff with the D rings. And undoing them is so frustrating difficult it is easier to leave the helmet on till the next time I go out on the bike.

Nowhere near as user-friendly as the ratchet strap on my Schuberths in my opinion.

I agree with Brian. While double D rings are cheap, they are no where near as easy to usd as the ratchet on my Schuberth. While double D rings ard "infinitely adjustable" I find that my head doesn't change shape or size enough to require such adjustment
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2021, 07:40:38 pm »
I find the exact opposite. The C3 isn't too bad, but the catch on Shoei I find fiddly to use and difficult to adjust properly. Maybe after 30 years of d-rings it's just what I'm used to.

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2021, 09:46:36 am »

I agree with Brian. While double D rings are cheap, they are no where near as easy to usd as the ratchet on my Schuberth. While double D rings ard "infinitely adjustable" I find that my head doesn't change shape or size enough to require such adjustment

How easy does it need to be? Its second nature and I don't even need to think about it. Fit issues can occur when your linings in the helmet become compressed and you are mid teeth on the ratchet to be comfortable . No such issues with D rings...." infinitely adjustable". I am glad black-k's head doesn't change shape or size.  ;D
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2021, 10:33:47 am »
I like the D ring method as I feel like a very special young man using a clever bit of kit that none of my passengers can work without my help :p.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2021, 11:45:52 am »

And you still have hair David. When it is gone, you will find your head changes shape and size even less... 8)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2021, 01:24:49 pm »
I became a convert to Schuberth helmets when I started doing their Better Rider Training Courses at the Nürburgring. Each course included a brand new Schuberth helmet.

I also have an Arai Tour X4 which I like to wear on the GS. The peak is so good for blotting out the sun.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline kfrogzx7

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K100rs & K13s Motorsport
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2021, 06:04:00 pm »
I know it's quite late in the discussion but I wanted to add that one of the main things I like about my Bell Race Star is the Class 1 Optics visor. Now I don't know whether it really means all that much, except a year or so ago it was touted as the only visor of that quality on the market, but I do notice a difference in use. Well, let me clarify ( pun ?!! ), the visor seems particularly "neutral" to look thru', particularly after long days in the saddle, so I feel it does have some merit, for me at least - less tiring on the eyes.
I wonder whether it really is a better quality optical visor and whether other manufacturers will be following suit ?
K100rs : R1100s : R1150rs : R1200st : K1300s m/s

Offline kfrogzx7

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K100rs & K13s Motorsport
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 06:08:02 pm »
Well, I see a lot of other manufacturers also have Class 1 visors ( Schuberth, Shoei, AGV et al ) so they're not unique to Bell, but anyway I think mine makes a difference and now I wouldn't want anything less.
K100rs : R1100s : R1150rs : R1200st : K1300s m/s