Author Topic: Rev It Challenger cooling vest  (Read 3201 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Rev It Challenger cooling vest
« on: July 06, 2018, 12:14:00 pm »
With our French trip only a couple of days away now and the temperatures in the high twenties and low thirties in some of our intended destinations, I thought I would try a cooling vest. My Rev It jacket is already equipped to accept the cooling vest, so why not, I thought.

I have been out for a quick blast up the local By Pass and here are my initial thoughts.
It certainly cools, it cools by making you damp, it's like sweating without sweating. So it does its intended job but I'm not sure I like the sensation. I will however take it with me to France and see how I get on. I might get used to that clammy feeling.

It might get better as the day goes on and the water evaporates a bit.

I will report back.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:54:33 pm by raesewell »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Rev It Challenger cooling vest
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 09:17:53 pm »
I don't like them at all. The water goes down to your waist and then soaks through into your underpants. Not a nice feeling. Contents of inner pockets get wet which in my case was my wallet leaving me with a wad of notes soaking wet and all stuck together. Took it straight back to Bike Stop and got a refund.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 10:16:34 pm »
Surely a wet tee-shirt would have the same effect...

Went for a wee dawdle on the Honda last evening after most of the heat had gone from the day and I was still dripping wet by the time I got back. Welcome to my world...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 02:36:49 pm »
Surely a wet tee-shirt would have the same effect...

Went for a wee dawdle on the Honda last evening after most of the heat had gone from the day and I was still dripping wet by the time I got back. Welcome to my world...

Exactly. As long as you can get some airflow over your sweaty T you'll cool down. And drink a litre of liquid beforehand, of course.

Its the 5 minutes before getting on the bike, and the 5 mins after getting off is when I completely cook.
As just happened 20 mins ago - a nice spin over the Cotswolds, round the Charlbury TT and back.  :D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 07:59:29 am »
I think I've found the secret to avoiding that clammy feeling, make sure you give the cooling vest a good wringing out, I then gave it a quick roll in a towel and the clammy feeling is gone, just nice and cool now.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 08:01:06 am »
I don't like them at all. The water goes down to your waist and then soaks through into your underpants. Not a nice feeling. Contents of inner pockets get wet which in my case was my wallet leaving me with a wad of notes soaking wet and all stuck together. Took it straight back to Bike Stop and got a refund.
I suspect that you had it too wet Tom, my first attempt was a bit clammy as I said but I think I've cracked it now.  :)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 11:25:04 pm »
Good that it works for you Rae.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 06:45:35 pm »
After extensive testing, the vest does its job, it does cool, however it is trying to cool under a pretty heavy jacket. Since I got back from France I have tried my mesh jacket again, and all in all the mesh jacket does a better job of keeping you cool. The only drawback is if you do get caught out in a shower, putting in the waterproof liner is a bit of a pain, but a pain I am willing to live with.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 05:17:10 pm »
I bought a Knox mesh jacket from Helmet City which kept me cool yesterday provided I kept my speed up! Optional is a rain jacket that goes over the mesh  jacket. Not tried that yet but seems more useful than a liner.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 05:33:40 pm »
I had a Spada mesh jacket that had a waterproof overjacket and it made you feel like a boil in the bag rice.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 10:39:42 am »
I had a Spada mesh jacket that had a waterproof overjacket and it made you feel like a boil in the bag rice.
;D ;D ;D