Author Topic: A Winters Tale  (Read 6800 times)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
A Winters Tale
« on: December 01, 2017, 10:14:46 am »
As some of you may have read in another thread, I had the bike in the FJ Owners workshop for its 30,000 mile service yesterday. Originally I was expecting to be on my way by about 3 O’clock but it rattled on a bit and I didn’t get on my way until about ten past four and the sun was setting over the Cotswolds.
The journey was to take just over 3 hours taking the motorway route. However factoring in that I was now going to encounter rush hour traffic it was going to take longer. The M5 was busy but flowing freely until I got to the road works at the M42.
The lanes here were a bit narrow so filtering was going to be difficult but the traffic was moving at about 25mph ish so I was happy to sit with it. Tomtom came up with an alternative and faster route which took me off of the M42 and onto the A38. As I pulled off of the motorway the welcome sight of the two golden arches of a McDonalds greeted me. I was ready for a coffee and a quick snack and gave Melanie a call to give her a progress report. Melanie tells me that it’s very wintry at home and starting to snow, not settling “yet” just wet she says.  :o :(

The A38 is a good fast road that I know well, I was impressed with the lights on the FJR, dipped beam (Philips Blue Vision Moto) was good enough for me to see far enough at 70/80 mph.
Everything was going great and I didn’t see the first flurry of snow until I rounded the last roundabout through Derby on the A38.
I thought it best to slow down a touch as it’s been many; many years since I have rode in snow. It was sleet with a bit of snow thrown in then snow with a bit of sleet.
As I got further north it was proper snow and having to wipe my visor every 10 seconds was a bit of a pain and watching the snow sliding down the visor made me smile, I must be mad I thought.
Anyway I pressed on through alternating rain, sleet, snow. The M18 saw me closer to home, then the A1(M) pressing on to the M62, this is where it got even more scary. I pulled off the A1(M) onto the M62 to find the slip road was ever so slightly white, the snow was starting to settle.  :o :o

I was happy to tuck in behind an HGV for the last five miles. All the while the snow was getting heavier and the previously fantastic lights were now almost non existent as the snow had formed on the headlights as well as a thick layer of snow on my windscreen. My exit came along soon enough and I said goodbye to the HGV I had been following, I could see the road ahead on the slip road, so being very familiar with this exit I took my best guess and aimed the bike where I thought it should be. Luckily my guess was good and the street lights lead me the rest of the way home. The main roads were just wet, as I turned into my cul-de-sac and onto my drive (this is normally one fluid movement) the snow had settled so I took it very steady got my feet down and inched onto the drive and safely into the garage.

Does this make me an ‘ard roughty toughty biker? Or just mad?

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
Re: A Winters Tale
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:52:31 am »

I would say both! But massive respect all the same.
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 02:40:41 pm »
You should have called, I could have put you up for the night.

We had no snow in The Marches but it was bleeding cold in the garage last night, you'd have had to sleep with your riding gear on...

Offline lanerider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: All sorts added on and still adding on and on cant see me stopping
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 02:49:15 pm »
I would say your a yorkshire man the southern nice weather riders would not attempt it and have you noticed when it snows down sarf its on all the tv news but up norf we just get on with it
lanerider

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:56:42 pm »
I may have mentioned it before but I'm not native to Yorkshire, I'm from the east end of London so makes your comment redundant really ;)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »

I would say both! But massive respect all the same.

+1   :o

But glad you got back safe.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 03:15:44 pm »
Thanks Simon, it's been many years since I've ridden in snow, but it's like riding a bike (literally) you never forget.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 05:27:06 pm »
Well done Rae. It's all the other idiots sliding about in the snow which worries me. Luckily us softies in the south don't get too much of it.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 07:16:36 pm »
The last time I rode in snow was when I lived and commuted in London. That's when we used to have proper winters. Remember those?
Younger riders and drivers don't get enough experience of riding/driving in adverse conditions which is why they slide about all over the place.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 05:26:19 pm »
I've commuted a few times in snow. Things that got me was despite my visor cracked open to keep my vision fog free it was still misting up, turns out the snow had settled on my helmet and was blocking the air flow through my visor.

The worst was riding home from finishing a night shift. I went south over Southwark bridge and the other side the roads were icy, so much so a car had crashed into a lamp post right next to a fire station. Luckily riding an old kick start 600 Tenere made keeping the bike upright quite easy.
The snow had stopped so I rode the 50 odd miles through snow covered roads using cleared tracks from the vehicles in front. The only issue was i couldn't over take anyone because that would involve going through thick snow, so it was a very slow ride home and being in the days before mobiles i pulled over to a phone box half way to call the other half to say i was ok. I got all the way home without incident parked the bike walked up my path and slipped over  ::)

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 05:29:42 pm »
Massive respect though Rae. I wouldn't do that on a heavy tourer or at my age now

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 08:16:59 pm »
Well done, Rae! It’s many years since l had to ride in snow and I certainly would not choose to.
I had my first taste of it when I was 17 and compelled to ride home in completely white conditions after a Christmas party. Fortunately, it was in the middle of the night, so traffic was light. I managed to stay upright for the entire 12 miles and felt quite chuffed with myself. I think, with today’s traffic volume and competence levels, the risk of being skittled is just too great. However, if tou’re caught out, as you were, you just have to get on with it.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 05:48:46 pm »
Dare devil
Embrace the wind.

Offline Paul C

• Global Moderator
  • ...ooh, why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 10:28:18 am »
This got me thinking that once we had little choice.
Here's me 36 years ago when I still had some hair. Just deicing the solid throttle cables so I could ride home.

Oh and last winter when I guess I did have a choice.

GSA, CCM GP450, Moto Guzzi Lemans II. Once had a K1200GT

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 11:01:00 am »
Good one, Paul. At the risk of degenerating this thread into a Monty Pythonesque sketch, I can remembering scooping snow out from between my crotch and the tank and then being unable to stand properly because my knees had frozen in the bent position. Ee, by ‘eck, those were the days.