Author Topic: Extended Warranty Providers  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: HP rear sets, Remus Hexacone, Baehr gel seat, some posh levers, plastic mudguards, a dark wind shield thingy
Extended Warranty Providers
« on: May 31, 2018, 01:04:04 pm »
Apologies in advance if this has been raised before. Done some searching but nothing specific popped up.

Being new to the K1300S and biking generally, it has been suggested that it would be a good idea for me to get extended warranty cover for "when" things go wonky....

Can anyone please recommend a reliable warranty provider?? Done some googling and some of the T&C's are incredible - only able to claim when the planets are aligned and a full lunar eclipse is taking place....

Any advice would be gladly recieved
Kev

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
Re: Extended Warranty Providers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 01:24:12 pm »
Kev,

I had the BMW Insured Warranty:

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Start

Enter your registration number and it will give you a quote (you can also choose to include the Breakdown Assist which I would recommend).

If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: HP rear sets, Remus Hexacone, Baehr gel seat, some posh levers, plastic mudguards, a dark wind shield thingy
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 01:50:12 pm »
Kev,

I had the BMW Insured Warranty:

https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Start

Enter your registration number and it will give you a quote (you can also choose to include the Breakdown Assist which I would recommend).

Ah, thank you for that, I thought they would only cover used bikes sold by them. Will have a look,
Cheers
Kev

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 02:16:02 pm »
Kev, the warranty seems pretty comprehensive to me, but it does have two gotchas - just so you know:
1) if the radiator gets clogged (on the outside), they won't replace it under warranty
2) ESA suspension is not covered beyond 30k miles

The radiator WILL get clogged if you don't give it a clean every now and then (see many previous discussions on the forum).
BMW dealers don't do it as part of the service regime.

Once a year is what folks suggest - I managed 4 years before I cleaned mine, but I'll be doing it once a year from now on.

The ESA doesn't seem to fail as regularly as the radiators. Mine is on 36k with no probs, for example, and I don't remember seeing an ESA failure complaint on the forum for a couple of years. Maybe it was only early ESA?

The breakdown recovery is good value too, if you roll that in too - possibly better value than the warranty.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 06:52:10 pm »
Recovery is great, I've used it so many times (oh dear). From rear drive fails to punctures it's pretty straightforward.

I can't believe I'm almost at 30k again. Seems only a moment ago I was huffing and puffing about that warranty clause on the old bike!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 09:05:30 pm »
Kev, the warranty seems pretty comprehensive to me, but it does have two gotchas - just so you know:
1) if the radiator gets clogged (on the outside), they won't replace it under warranty
2) ESA suspension is not covered beyond 30k miles

The radiator WILL get clogged if you don't give it a clean every now and then (see many previous discussions on the forum).
BMW dealers don't do it as part of the service regime.

Once a year is what folks suggest - I managed 4 years before I cleaned mine, but I'll be doing it once a year from now on.

The ESA doesn't seem to fail as regularly as the radiators. Mine is on 36k with no probs, for example, and I don't remember seeing an ESA failure complaint on the forum for a couple of years. Maybe it was only early ESA?

The breakdown recovery is good value too, if you roll that in too - possibly better value than the warranty.

Thanks for that, I recon I can live with that. Will get onto it
Cheers,
Kev

Offline Kev220

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:12:38 pm »
Recovery is great, I've used it so many times (oh dear). From rear drive fails to punctures it's pretty straightforward.

I can't believe I'm almost at 30k again. Seems only a moment ago I was huffing and puffing about that warranty clause on the old bike!

Good advice, thank you, and will do.
Regards,
Kev

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 01:07:25 am »
Great value EU breakdown cover. https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/breakdown/

This is stand alone policy which also covers classics which most don't.
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 08:06:07 am »
The BMW warranty and breakdown service is second to none and is excellent. They've had plenty of practice  ???

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 01:27:38 pm »
Haha true Rae! Every time I have one of two guys and they always remember me and have stories of other bmws!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 08:45:35 pm »
The BMW breakdown cover is pretty decent, however. I was kept waiting all day last year with a shit battery. Staff very apologetic and I got sent £100 as a sweetener. In a way, that’s knocked £100 of my new warranty I bought only last week. 👍
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 08:47:22 pm »
The BMW breakdown cover is pretty decent, however. I was kept waiting all day last year with a shot battery. Staff very apologetic and I got sent £100 as a sweetener. In a way, that’s knocked £100 of my new warranty I bought only last week. 👍
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.