Author Topic: Don't forget to service the rear suspension lower linkage bearings  (Read 6688 times)

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
Re: Don't forget to service the rear suspension lower linkage bearings
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 01:04:13 pm »
Ok Chris I will give the less adventurous set a go. Pm me with the details.
Watchin you Focker

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 01:05:29 pm »
Thanks all, for all of the speedy advice by the way, much appreciated.
Watchin you Focker

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 01:18:26 pm »
I asked at BGM about this and he said it is not a service item as such... I think I will be doing this myself at some point soon as I have a centre stand, I have a garage with carpet in it and I will have the time at some point to get this rather essential job sorted.
They simply lie,  it is an item of regular inspection.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 01:46:02 pm »
Cross purposes folks...

Certainly in UK, no dealer even knows they are down there, let alone that failure (seizure, as in the early ones) can kill you nor that a few minutes with a tub of grease (ina BMW workshop???) and a spanner will mean they can keep servicing your bike for many more years to come.

I think Costas means that they MUST be serviced, especially here in UK and I imagine that t'other Costas wouldn't let a bike out of his service bay without giving them a once over.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2020, 01:59:37 pm »
Ok Chris I will give the less adventurous set a go. Pm me with the details.

PM on the way.

revd

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 11:32:30 am »
Took me an hour to strip, clean, grease and reassemble. Nice easy job and satisfying to know that it is all done now.  Just another little thing out of the way.

And yes, the bearings all needed a good dab of grease, they were not dry, but nor were they nicely lubed up.

Offline 28_Ashvale

• Shay Treanor
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200 GT SE
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 04:01:46 pm »
Hi Guys, I don't know how I didn't find this forum until now and it's only after I had a lower linkage failure that I see this post >

I was lucky that it was a low speed failure and I was on a straight section of road, but it did damage the shock so a replacement had to be sourced, my bike is back in action thankfully and the linkage is lubed up to within an inch of it's life and is firmly on the "to do" list going forward

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36533629@N05/50348413198/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36533629@N05/50348402383/in/dateposted/

not sure how to post pics yet sorry

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 09:57:00 pm »
Well, an interesting day in the garage.

I had applied penetrating fluid last night, and this morning (plusgas - great stuff).

I took the back wheel off tonight and took the opportunity to lube the rear driveshaft splines. They were in good condition, so it's done now.

I then started disassembling the suspension linkage.  The last bolt, the one most forwards with the sunken head, was not for budging. I got the nut off, but no way was that bolt coming out.  I downed tools and backed off before I could cause any damage, and had a re-group. 

I then went back into it, looked at the other three bearings and saw they were all clean and lubed, so I called it good and put the rest of them back together   :D  No point in making a hash of it and reefing out a head.  I'll come back to it next year.

I then replaced the worn out PR4 with a lovely new one, took the TPS out and put in a new battery, and opened up a nice bottle of Italian.

I'd call it a successful night.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2020, 12:28:13 pm »
Do you think the stubborn bolt will be easier to remove next year?  :-\

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2020, 12:58:12 pm »
Do you think the stubborn bolt will be easier to remove next year?  :-\

Nope, but I'm satisfied that everything was greased up, so I am tipping the balance back to riding it rather than working on it.

I'll look at it when I have the wheel off to change the bevel oil.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2020, 01:23:31 pm »
Hi Corkboy, just as a matter of interest.  Will the Motoscan allow you to re-initiate the TPS sensors after changing the battery or do you have to visit the stealer for that.

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2020, 01:50:12 pm »
Hi Corkboy, just as a matter of interest.  Will the Motoscan allow you to re-initiate the TPS sensors after changing the battery or do you have to visit the stealer for that.

Haven't been out on the bike yet to check it, but from reading the collected wisdom; Once the unit has already been initiated then changing the battery doesn't change that. Thinking about it, the unit spends most of it's life off, only turning on when you ride the bike. So most of the time the battery isn't being used. The unit wouldn't know that the battery has been changed, as it is done during the "off" state.

You only need to initialise a new unit.

And sorry, to answer your actual question (as Richtea has done below), the Motoscan will do so.  If you need it, let me know)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:16:23 pm by corkboy »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 02:10:15 pm »

Yes:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=3426.msg42355#msg42355
Go to about the 11th set of pics.

Offline beech

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Hexcone
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 07:51:42 pm »
Do you have the torque settings for the bolts when re assembling?
As mentioned in a different post the bolt torque here is 38Nm. with blue loctite (242). Early in these bikes history there was a recall by BMW. The replaced the "dog bone" tie bar with one a little larger and lubed the bearings. Previously this set up was not being serviced regularly and the dog bone was actually breaking on some bikes. I do not see it in the maintenance sheets even now but at the time it was pointed out to clean and grease this part every two years.
beech
K1300S
S1000R

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2020, 11:58:01 am »
4 years or every 50000 km. Is the current technical service recommendation. 
Embrace the wind.