Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 131928 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1200S
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 02:14:27 pm »
Make bacon and lentil soup...
Finish off cabling for Hi-Fi...
Fill bird feeders...
Write overseas Xmas cards...
Go to Post Office...
Buy rest of Xmas cards...
Pour large Scotch...
Turn heating up...

You get the general idea  ;D

Good luck with M3/M4, whichever  8)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 06:47:39 am »
I left Holborn on the A40 and the overhead signs said m4 j1-3 closed. So I went up the m40 and round the m25 to the m4. Where the sign said m4 j14-15 closed. So a wee jaunt around the a4 via Marlborough where it rained on a road I don't know which was stuffed with hgvs, with some car that sat right up my chuff but wouldn't overtake for about 5 miles til I lost him in traffic. Needless to say the wind was against me. That was a long haul back. Was glad to see my bed. The rain has just started to pour as I eat my breakfast, and the forecast says there could be snow showers later. There are days when biking has less appeal...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:40 pm »
Take care out there Martin. We value your insights too much to have you lost in the Wiltshire Wilds up to your tank cap in muck and bullets and sinking fast...

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2017, 04:30:08 pm »
Jet wash it
Muc off it
Wash it again

I was wearing my oversuit while washing it in order to wash the mud and crap off that as well. Caught it on the pebble dash of the corner of the house and cut a little hole by the right shoulder. Wife has super glued it. We shall see in the morning. Will be disappointed if it doesn't mend as the suit has proved itself over the last 5 months
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:32:49 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2017, 07:49:44 pm »
Wossit made of?

If it is vinyl then use some vinyl adhesive and a patch over a patch. Places like Woolies (or whatever they became), often stock repair patches for vinyl stuff. Here is one for pennies on eBay...

https://www.poolpro.co.uk/intex-vinyl-repair-kit.html?fee=1&fep=963&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItof5-tyC2AIV5p3tCh0fogFPEAQYASABEgI0kfD_BwE

I doubt it is a heavy duty stuff if it snagged on pebble dash so go get a patch kit.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2017, 10:16:48 pm »
If you fitted a rear mudguard it wouldn't get so dirty.

BMW part No. 46627675424  about £20
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2017, 10:29:26 pm »
The mud stretched from the front wheel to the number plate and from the belly pan to my helmet. I have to clean my helmet (insert joke here) every day at the moment. I should have taken a before photo as well.  A rear mudguard would have limited effect I'm afraid. 

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2017, 09:41:54 am »
Not true Martin!

The rear mudguard will keep the number plate clean. I should have taken a picture at the time but never thought.

My K12S and a mate on his K13S had ridden exactly the same filthy few miles when we stopped for fuel and when we came out of the kiosk, with the bikes parked side by side, the difference was alarming.

Neither of us knew about the rear mudguard thingy; I didn't know mine had one and he didn't know his didn't. We were well confused and as I had been following, I would have expected my bike to be muckier in the turbulent air but not so.

The back of my bike was virtually spotless and his was so bad you couldn't read his plate.

It was only on closer inspection that we spotted the small plastic infill panel and that was that.

Obviously, doing your mileage it ain't going to be perfect, but it might keep you alive in the filthy dark and for only £20 or so and easy to fit in your case as you don't have the Sport Case frame to contend with.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2017, 09:59:54 am »
Not true Martin!

The rear mudguard will keep the number plate clean. I should have taken a picture at the time but never thought.

My K12S and a mate on his K13S had ridden exactly the same filthy few miles when we stopped for fuel and when we came out of the kiosk, with the bikes parked side by side, the difference was alarming.

Neither of us knew about the rear mudguard thingy; I didn't know mine had one and he didn't know his didn't. We were well confused and as I had been following, I would have expected my bike to be muckier in the turbulent air but not so.

The back of my bike was virtually spotless and his was so bad you couldn't read his plate.

It was only on closer inspection that we spotted the small plastic infill panel and that was that.

Obviously, doing your mileage it ain't going to be perfect, but it might keep you alive in the filthy dark and for only £20 or so and easy to fit in your case as you don't have the Sport Case frame to contend with.

So a speed safety camera could read your number but couldn't read your friends number?  :) Sorry, but I'm struggling to see the advantage of the mudguard!  ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2017, 02:58:59 pm »
As you well know, the software on those film readers can read a number plate that the human eye can't.

And anyway, you know I never exceed the speed limit. Honest!

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2017, 10:59:16 am »
74000 last night on a cold dark  A30. Seem to be doing all my riding in the dark these days.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2017, 02:15:12 pm »
Get a cheap HID kit and start riding in the daylight...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2017, 08:10:21 am »
Get a cheap HID kit and start riding in the daylight...

Definitely this! Cheap car kit - one in dipped beam, one in high beam.

Get a kit with slim ballasts and they'll "just" fit inside the headlight shell.

The best money you'll spend this winter.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2017, 08:00:02 pm »
Last Thursday travelled down fro Shropshire back to Cornwall.

First petrol stop fuel cap frozen, key wouldn't go in, barrel wouldn't turn, 50 mins later tank bag harness off, whole tank cover off, filler cap removed, deiced,  all reassembled. Which is why I carry a leatherman with all the drive heads. So 3 hours at below 5C squinting into the sun wiping the sh1te off the visor every 10 secs, followed by 2 hours in the rain and home for a late Christmas and birthday dinner. And why do I ride a bike in this weather? Despite the frozen fuel cap giving Libby nearly an hours start I got home nearly an hour before her and I wasn't caning it in this weather. Gotta love traffic

And 26750 miles for the calendar year by the way

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2017, 11:19:05 pm »
Good on you fjtwelve.

Can't for the life of me understand why your fuel cap should freeze up?

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.