Author Topic: Battle with BM Dealer John Clark Tayside  (Read 2773 times)

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
Battle with BM Dealer John Clark Tayside
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:53:32 pm »
I purchased the K13 GT dated1/4/2015, private sale 5000 miles with FDSH (John Clark's all work) within 350 miles of John Clarks full service dated 16/3/15 I booked into Pidcocks BM Long Eaton for flange check. They orderd flange but told me rear wheel bearing are well gone (Demo how rubbly they were) need replacing ASAP. Asked technician and Service Manager is this a sudden onset, say in last few mile for example 350 miles ?, reply " No way happend over bigger mileage span than that, should have been picked up at 5000 miles service 16/3/15". Wheel bearing replaced on Extended warranty me stiffed for £100 excess as a result of IMHO lack of QA and care by Clark's of Tayside.  Took up case with Clarks and BM UK. BM UK sympathetic but white elephant no influence over dealer. Clarks politely told me to go and F..k myself !

I have doggedly been at them on and off ever since and tomorrow will be disussing same with their MD of Clark's (On phone). BM UK until I pushed them never bothered to check apparent disparity between performance of two of their dealers over a clear safety issue.

So the moral of the story is are all BM dealers C..p or is it John Clark's only based on my experience ?

You have been warned

JS.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:01:12 pm by JackSnipe »
JS

Offline gramey

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
Re: Battle with BM Dealer John Clark Tayside
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 11:29:43 pm »
To cut a very long story short some years ago I bought an approved used BMW car from my local dealer that had apparently gone through an extensive pre sales check to comply with the BMW Approved warranty scheme. I then had to take it back a few days later for a nose off the rear nearside wheel and they came back to me with an extensive list of faults that needed rectifying but it would all be covered under the warranty.

Feeling aggrieved that this supposedly thoroughly checked car had developed so many faults in such a short time I smelt a rat, if they carried out the work prior to sale it ate into their profits. If they said they'd checked it and then found the faults BMW's warranty scheme paid for it and they maintained any profit margin they had in the car.

What they didn't account for was a cynical copper, as I was then, contacting BMW UK who sent down an engineer on the agreed date that the car went in walked through the door just behind me, took the keys from the Service Reception and demanded a ramp be made available for him to inspect the car. The car was returned a week later, having been loaned a brand new demo car for the week, with all faults rectified and a large bunch of flowers for my now ex wife. The engineer stated that the defects could not have occurred in the short time I'd had the vehicle and the dealer was to repair them at their cost or BMW UK would take punitive action against them as a dealer.

From that day on the service I received was nothing short of exemplary!

Sorry not quite as short as hoped, I guess now their warranties are provided by a third party and it's not them being ripped off they don't care?

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 07:18:39 am »
Regret to admit that in most cases dealers are moto.. F....... And son of b...... And sa se calo Theororos bere stealers. But there are exceptions out there.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Twisty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 10:16:56 am »
Two points :-

For BMW UK to say they have no influence over the dealer is just not true! They do have massive influence!!

I have used Pidcocks in Derby and now Long Eaton since I bought my first BM in 1978 and new Roy Pidcock from when I was about 16. I have ALWAYS had excellent and reasonably priced service from them. They, like everyone(!), are not perfect but any errors have been fixed quickly and without fuss.

Just sayin'
 8)

Ride safe
Dave

BMW R1200gs LC

Offline Andysdad

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 06:03:33 pm »
Interesting that the JS's rear wheel bearing went at such a low miles.

Mine did too at 10K miles (I hadn't noticed anything despite 1700 miles in the previous 10 days) and I was suspicious that it coincided with the rear flange recall - a dealer job creation scheme?

I also had the same "not interested" from BMW Customer Service trying to get a goodwill contribution; I cannot imagine a BMW car owner getting that kind of treatment.

IIRC another Forum member has had a rear wheel bearing fail too - is this (becoming) a common fault?

Dealers are independent of each other and manufacturers (even if they have centralised service records) usually won't know exactly what has been done at a service.

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 08:33:51 pm »
To cut a very long story short some years ago I bought an approved used BMW car from my local dealer that had apparently gone through an extensive pre sales check to comply with the BMW Approved warranty scheme. I then had to take it back a few days later for a nose off the rear nearside wheel and they came back to me with an extensive list of faults that needed rectifying but it would all be covered under the warranty.

Feeling aggrieved that this supposedly thoroughly checked car had developed so many faults in such a short time I smelt a rat, if they carried out the work prior to sale it ate into their profits. If they said they'd checked it and then found the faults BMW's warranty scheme paid for it and they maintained any profit margin they had in the car.

What they didn't account for was a cynical copper, as I was then, contacting BMW UK who sent down an engineer on the agreed date that the car went in walked through the door just behind me, took the keys from the Service Reception and demanded a ramp be made available for him to inspect the car. The car was returned a week later, having been loaned a brand new demo car for the week, with all faults rectified and a large bunch of flowers for my now ex wife. The engineer stated that the defects could not have occurred in the short time I'd had the vehicle and the dealer was to repair them at their cost or BMW UK would take punitive action against them as a dealer.

From that day on the service I received was nothing short of exemplary!

Sorry not quite as short as hoped, I guess now their warranties are provided by a third party and it's not them being ripped off they don't care?

Nice ...... mind you I bet they spat in your coffee ;)
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 08:53:51 pm »
Well I hope mine don't go belly up as the bike turned over 10,000 today when I had 140 on the clock and we are are a long way from home to be worrying about such never mind 100 quid.

Offline SimonH

• Just making progress
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2011 K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: R&G engine covers, Blue vinyl wrap belly pan and accents
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 10:09:42 pm »
Hi Chris, sounds like the trip has gone well. Thanks for the advice on weather in the alps. My K turned 20k miles in Germany last week and saw 160 mph... but not 2-up like you. (Serious respect to J).
Cheers, Simon

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 07:48:03 pm »
Well I hope mine don't go belly up as the bike turned over 10,000 today when I had 140 on the clock and we are are a long way from home to be worrying about such never mind 100 quid.

Probably almost run in, then?
I didn't know you had to limit it to stay under 140 until 10k  :P :P :P