Author Topic: New Steed...Eventually  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Owen2737

• View Profile
New Steed...Eventually
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:10:43 pm »
So after a long delay due to lock down(First enquired about this at the start of April),eventually got my hands on a 2012 K1300s.Only 8700 miles with a full BM history,tank bag,panniers and rear paddock stand.Had a few runs out today and loving it so far.Taking my time getting used to it though as I'm more used to sports bikes and the tyres are brand new so all in all a new experience.What's your general opinions on Michelin PR4 GT's?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:32:38 pm by Owen2737 »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: New Steed...Eventually
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 07:24:18 am »
My experience with the PR4s is I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole they seemed to want to make a dive for every rut and seam in the road. The Pirelli Angel GT (A) on the other hand are superb. Just my opinion, other will disagree about the PR4s but most will agree about the Angel GT (A). The (A) has the stiffer side walls for heavier bikes so is equivalent to the Michelin GT.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 07:40:28 am »
Nice bike in one of the fastest colours although I prefer the standard screen.

I did many many miles with PR4s on my K1300Ss and thought they were fine as long as you keep a good eye on the pressure.  Even a couple of PSI down can have a noticable effect.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Owen2737

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 07:45:32 am »

I did many many miles with PR4s on my K1300Ss and thought they were fine as long as you keep a good eye on the pressure.  Even a couple of PSI down can have a noticable effect.

Agree with you on the screen.It works well (Zero Gravity) but looks awful.I'm not loving the PR4's as yet.Think I would prefer something more sporty like S22's or similar.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 09:06:43 am »

I'll second this. The Angels and the Metzeler Roadtec things did me well after many years trying to keep with the PR Michelin family. Can't wait to try them on the GS after the current noisy tyres are almost done.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 04:44:53 pm »

Agree with you on the screen.It works well (Zero Gravity) but looks awful.I'm not loving the PR4's as yet.Think I would prefer something more sporty like S22's or similar.

I can se your not loving them by the size of the chicken strips  :D,want sporty?? Power RS

Offline Sutty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300 Dynamic
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Autocom, BSD remap, 170 at the wheel. SC project can with baffle removed.Lust 25mm lowering plates
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 05:01:38 pm »
S22's work well on the "R" loads of confidence in them. Just had another pair.
Looks good except for the screen.

Best regards.  Mick
No problems only Solutions

Offline Owen2737

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 11:22:46 pm »

I can se your not loving them by the size of the chicken strips  :D,want sporty?? Power RS
Lol.Don't worry about the chicken strips...they seem to have shrunk for some reason ;D

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 07:01:45 pm »
Metzeler Sportec M7 RR are very good as a sporty sports tourer tyre. On my second set at the moment.
Watchin you Focker

Offline kfrogzx7

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K100rs & K13s Motorsport
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 08:19:42 pm »
Nice bike Owen, but the screen must go surely ? It looks as tho' you've got some good roads to ride round your way too ? For what it's worth ( because it's so so subjective ) I'm currently PR5' ing every time I need new rubber . Enjoy your 13s, it seems to me to be a fantastic choice.
K100rs : R1100s : R1150rs : R1200st : K1300s m/s

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 10:02:48 pm »
Welcome!

Keep the screen. (They don't realise you're 6'7".)

Offline Owen2737

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 10:57:01 pm »
Nice bike Owen, but the screen must go surely ? It looks as tho' you've got some good roads to ride round your way too ? For what it's worth ( because it's so so subjective ) I'm currently PR5' ing every time I need new rubber . Enjoy your 13s, it seems to me to be a fantastic choice.
Thanks boss.Screen is being changed for sure.Just not sure what the best option is yet.Maybe some of the longer term owners can give me a few pointers.Plenty of great roads round here.Where I live I'm 10 mins from the Cookstown 100,30 to Armoy and NW200,and roughly 40 minutes to the Ulster GP and Tandragee 100 so most summers are spent riding round following the road racing.Never a shortage of twistys and mountain roads round here.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:02:18 pm by Owen2737 »

Offline Owen2737

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 11:04:36 pm »
Welcome!

Keep the screen. (They don't realise you're 6'7".)
Don't know about the 6'7" but wife says it's needed to get my big head in behind ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:10:52 pm by richtea »

Offline Owen2737

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 11:10:01 pm »
Metzeler Sportec M7 RR are very good as a sporty sports tourer tyre. On my second set at the moment.
Am looking at both the M7rr's and the S22's.Leaning towards the S22 mostly because I've always liked Bridgestones but have heard great reports about the M7's.Do you need a different spec because of the K13 being a bigger/heavier bike?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 07:19:11 am »
Thanks boss.Screen is being changed for sure.Just not sure what the best option is yet.Maybe some of the longer term owners can give me a few pointers.Plenty of great roads round here.Where I live I'm 10 mins from the Cookstown 100,30 to Armoy and NW200,and roughly 40 minutes to the Ulster GP and Tandragee 100 so most summers are spent riding round following the road racing.Never a shortage of twistys and mountain roads round here.

You lucky boy  :) this years NW200 is the second one we have missed since 96,after our B+B hosts at the Causeway retired went to renting a house in Bushmills.

Off the boat in Dublin,fish and chips in Armagh,ice cream in Moneymore and up through Dungannon and Cookstown and blimey have we missed it this year  :(