Author Topic: stalling  (Read 2909 times)

Offline drifter

• View Profile
stalling
« on: July 26, 2019, 10:21:49 am »
Buongiorno riders, my 1300gt started stalling when about to stop with the clutch in and no throttle, it doers not do it all the times but never gives warning before doing it. Any ideas please. Grazie

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: stalling
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 10:33:06 am »
Sensor, can't remember which, I had it on my 1200GT.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 03:05:35 pm »
Intake air temperature sensor.
Still this is a 1300 engine , to me it's is one of the coils
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 09:08:02 pm »
Idle Comtrol Valve. Needs resetting or replacing. Find your nearest EuroKClub member with a GS-911 and get it reset for free....but take beer, sandwiches etc...

Offline John

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Seat modded
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 03:11:01 pm »
Buongiorno riders, my 1300gt started stalling when about to stop with the clutch in and no throttle, it does not do it all the times but never gives warning before doing it. Any ideas please. Grazie

I had EXACTLY the same problem..... it turned out to be a bad spark plug coil...... (aka  'stick coil')

PS.....I recommend changing all 4 of them, as I did.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 03:22:43 pm by John »
Ex Motor mechanic. Retired

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 05:37:24 pm »
My old 1300 had this, was idle control valve. Used to be a common fault.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 05:43:35 pm »
And the ICV can be reset with a GS-911. It is an open loop control system and easily forgets where it left itself and always assumes it knows best  >:(

Offline drifter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 07:57:03 am »
Many thanks for the replies. I have a mechanic coming to chech with the diagnostic tool, he said fuel injectir cleaner has worked on some bikes he has worked on. Will keep you posted. Thanks again

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 08:12:48 am »
You say you have "a" mechanic coming, is he familiar with BMW technology, does he have a GS911? If not, you might want to find one who has.
If you put your location in your profile, we may be able to make suggestions.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 09:57:30 am »
The GS-911 has a function test for individual injectors. However, just because an injector is 'ackling' (highly technical term) doesn't mean it isn't clogged. However, a clogged injector is more likely to cause problems at high fuel flow rates rather than at tickover. i.e. high rpm not low rpm.

We have loads of members with a GS-911 who are more than willing to run a diagnostic test on your bike for the cost of a coffee/pint.

They are shown on the members' map which you can find as a sticky post in the Who's Who section.

Offline drifter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 02:29:47 pm »
Many thanks, yes, the mechanic has the GS 911 but I would like to meet other riders with similar bikes, their experience could be better than a non BMW mechanic. Would you know of one, I am in North Wales. Thanks again, Gino

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 03:32:48 pm »
Gino. We have lots of members in your area. Go to the members' map...

https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=62.0

...and follow Rae's link to the map and as he says, members with red pins are GS-911 owners.

Probably the most 'articulate' owner is TomK1300S 'twixt Warrington and Manchester and he travels to N Wales almost weekly. You offer to buy the coffee etc.

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2015 Motorsport
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 06:17:49 pm »
As above, Tom sorted me out by meeting up with his diagnostic wizardry, all for a cup of coffee.
Steve Joyce

Offline John

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Seat modded
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 10:35:00 am »
Buongiorno riders, my 1300gt started stalling when about to stop with the clutch in and no throttle, it does not do it all the times but never gives warning before doing it. Any ideas please. Grazie

I had EXACTLY the same problem..... it turned out to be a bad spark plug coil...... (aka  'stick coil')

PS.....I recommend changing all 4 of them, as I did.

Further to my previous post (above)..... Prior to renewing, or even suspecting that my problem was the coil sticks, I removed the airbox and cleaned the icv,  followed by resetting it via my GS-911= Problem still present.......I then tried adding injector cleaner to the fuel tank....=Problem still present.
Only then did I remove the coil sticks, one of them had a black, burnt look inside the stem of the stick, It was clear that the spark had been randomly 'tracking' down to earth and randomly cutting the engine at tickover. Anyway, 4 new coil sticks and the bike runs as well as ever.
Its worth noting that the GS-911 did not flag any problem with the coil sticks.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 03:20:21 pm by John »
Ex Motor mechanic. Retired