Author Topic: K1300s Indicator replacements  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2015 Motorsport
K1300s Indicator replacements
« on: July 05, 2019, 05:43:06 pm »
As in the title, after a choppy return from the Isle of Man in June, I noticed that 'somebody' had knocked against one of my mirrors on my K1300s causing the orange 'glass' to crack. Its still in place and functional, but I may take the moment to replace all 4 indicators with either clear or smoked glass replacements to freshen up the look. Plenty out there from cheap to not so.

Any experience out there on what is good and what is not? Easy to change?

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve, North Wales.
Steve Joyce

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1300s Indicator replacements
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 09:54:33 pm »
I went smoked clear with the orange bulbs at the front. But, be warned, the bulbs are horrendously expensive and the only place I've found them is Hornig in Chermany and the postage is horrendous too. I burned one out on the Wrinklies so need to replace my spare, so if you want to do a 'bulk' buy and split the postage, I'm in.

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 04:37:02 pm »
I have fitted the Hornig clear front indicator lenses to my K1300 GT and, at the same time as ordering, took the opportunity to buy spare bulbs. I did the same to my previous K1200RS and feel that it does wonders for the appearance of the bike.

Delivery was timely and I've been very pleased with the kit, which takes only minutes to fit.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 06:57:44 pm »
Have to admit, on the K12, the lenses were cheap chinese and were not a perfect fit...

Can't speak for the provenance of the K13 lenses as they were on the bike when I bought it.

Offline Gundog

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 2010
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus pipes, Schnitzer Bars, Bagster tank bag and cover, GS-911, Skidmarx rear hugger
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 10:26:36 pm »
Found my front lenses cracked when i bought my bike. Looked like stress cracking, both lenses had cracks in the same place, emanating out from near the screw hole. Tried LEDs but generated fault codes.

Bought these as a pack of 10 globes for around $AU15 from Lithuania on ebay. Could not source orange globes of this size anywhere else without paying in blood.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222337165219
“To arrive in the Rocky Mountains by plane would be to see them in one kind of context, as pretty scenery. But to arrive after days of hard travel across the prairies would be to see them in another way, as a goal, a promised land.”
Robert M. Pirsig: "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 07:42:51 am »
A bit of over-tightening, take heed  ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 10:28:45 am »
Or aggressive filtering  :o

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 11:32:24 am »
Or aggressive filtering  :o

Tom will now post an orange, red, blue & white indicator as evidence of various close (paint) shaves.  ;D ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 11:41:37 am »
I can tell you from experience, the lens doesn't "make contact" in close shave filtering, it's the black plastic of the surround that does - and the mirror then folds back. ;)
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline prf688

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT SE
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 04:37:55 pm »
I went smoked clear with the orange bulbs at the front. But, be warned, the bulbs are horrendously expensive and the only place I've found them is Hornig in Chermany and the postage is horrendous too. I burned one out on the Wrinklies so need to replace my spare, so if you want to do a 'bulk' buy and split the postage, I'm in.

If the orange indicator bulbs are the same as for a K1300GT, then I recently got some for £2.49 each from MSA Direct. Hope the link works. https://www.msa-direct.co.uk/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=2258&curPage=2&sortField=sortorder

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 05:09:40 pm »
They re the same, and that is a very good retail proce.
Embrace the wind.