Author Topic: ball joints K1200R  (Read 5253 times)

Offline PeterZ

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R
ball joints K1200R
« on: June 20, 2019, 07:13:47 pm »
sinds a few weeks now I feel a strange vibration when braking hard above 80.
At first, I thought it had to do with the with the brake disks or the front tyre, but the problem occurs sinds a few weeks and the brake pads and disks has been renewed last February.
Now I think that the ball joints have worn out and when lifting the front end and jitter the front wheel there is a light click.
I have found a topic about ball joints and there was a link to a German website https://www.motorradteile-service.de/KUGELGELENK-OBEN::511719.html here they sell FRAP ball joints made in Italy for a reasonable price compared to OEM joints.
Does anyone have experience with this FRAP joints, how is the quality compared with OEM joints?
one other thing next week we're going to the Voges for a week is it save to drive the bike and repair it when we're back?

Peter

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: ball joints K1200R
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 07:22:31 pm »
Classic symptoms of failing ball joins is weaving at slow speed. I think Costas used aftermarket ball joints, he'll be along soon.
The ball joints are very tight and I mean very very tight. Make sure you have the right tools at hand. You may have to use heat.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 09:48:42 pm »
Judder during high-speed braking and a weave at 30mph/50kph are both classic symptoms of ball-joint wear.

It 'might' be safe to ride with it but better to get them chamged.

I,m not convinced that any ball-joints are better than the OEM ones, but they are cheaper.

Unless you are a very competent diy mechanic, get the dealer to fit them.

Offline dmg44

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: R handlebar swap, taller screen, Hids
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 10:27:04 pm »
I had this issue. I brought it to the dealer and they wouldnt let me have it back until it was fixed, they considered it too dangerous, they gave me a loaner until it was fixed

Dont chance it

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 09:55:11 am »
If it is affecting your braking, you need to get it done.

I did get the FRAP aftermarket ones, and fitted them myself - it's a fairly straightforward job if you have the correct tools, but it did take a lot of time and heat to get them out - BMW used some fairly aggressive threadlock on there. Add that to the 260Nm tightening torque on the ball joints, meaning you need to apply nearer 400-500Nm to get the ball joint off - so you need a heavy bench vice with some nice soft wood jaws (so it doesn't hurt the paint!). I used 3/4 inch sockets with a 4ft scaffold pole on it, and most of the time it was the bench that moved first, not the ball joint.

So if you haven't got time to mess around with it, might be best to book it in at the dealer as quick as you can.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 10:50:55 am »
...and the first time my dealer fitted new ones at 18,000 miles, paid for by me, they failed within 800 miles.

The second time, under BMW parts warranty as I had paid for the first job, they stripped the threads out of the wheel carrier before the joints came loose. BMW provided a new wheel carrier and ball-joints all covered under the parts warranty and goodwill  8)

That micro-encapsulated BMW thread-weld is a nonsense, even the new fairing screws came smothered in the stuff...

Offline PeterZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 12:00:56 pm »
wow that doesn't sound like an easy job, maybe I'll ask the dealer what the costs are to replace the ball joints and what the cost are when I bring in the wheel carrier. the Reprom doesn't mention heating the wheel carrier, just to heat up the bolt that holds the trailing arm to 100 degrees.
@stevel any problems with the FRAP joints?

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 03:39:41 pm »
wow that doesn't sound like an easy job, maybe I'll ask the dealer what the costs are to replace the ball joints and what the cost are when I bring in the wheel carrier. the Reprom doesn't mention heating the wheel carrier, just to heat up the bolt that holds the trailing arm to 100 degrees.

I basically ignored RepROM when I did this job. I don't normally - usually I stick to exactly what it says, but RepROM wants you to take half the bike apart to get to the ball joints. I took the much simpler option - instead of removing the trailing arms etc, just remove the nuts on top of the ball joints - the forks just drop out after that. You still have to take the front wheel, mudguard and brake calipers off, but it's better than removing all the fairing etc that they tell you to.

FRAP joints seemed just as good quality as OEM (in fact, I'm sure I remember reading that FRAP had been supplied as OEM at some stage). No problems at all with them 6000 miles on.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:18:17 pm »
I removed the ball joints without any problems using an impact wrench and a socket. Didn't heat up the wheel carrier.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline PeterZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 08:33:51 am »

I basically ignored RepROM when I did this job. I don't normally - usually I stick to exactly what it says, but RepROM wants you to take half the bike apart to get to the ball joints. I took the much simpler option - instead of removing the trailing arms etc, just remove the nuts on top of the ball joints - the forks just drop out after that. You still have to take the front wheel, mudguard and brake calipers off, but it's better than removing all the fairing etc that they tell you to.

FRAP joints seemed just as good quality as OEM (in fact, I'm sure I remember reading that FRAP had been supplied as OEM at some stage). No problems at all with them 6000 miles on.

interesting, I will start with that approach.
the dealer charge €320 for a set of ball joint and 5 a 6 hours work to replace them, total costs around €800  :(
I now ordered a set of Frap joint and will ask the local machine shop if they have a wrench and socket they can spare.

Offline stevel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 01:51:40 pm »
Something to be aware of then...

The ball joints are different sizes - one is 50mm the other 55. Spanners are an option, but access is limited (and how would you tighten them to the correct torque with a spanner?). A socket set is easier, but most 50 or 55mm sockets aren’t deep enough as the top of the ball joint gets in the way - you need specific deep sockets to do the job right, and there aren’t many of them for sale and they all cost a lot! If you do find them, they’re likely to be 3/4 inch drive, so you’ll need a torque wrench in the same size to do them up correctly.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 06:13:13 pm »
...or a 1/2” to 3/4 adapter - Halfords.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 07:10:12 pm »
Something to be aware of then...

The ball joints are different sizes - one is 50mm the other 55. Spanners are an option, but access is limited (and how would you tighten them to the correct torque with a spanner?). A socket set is easier, but most 50 or 55mm sockets aren’t deep enough as the top of the ball joint gets in the way - you need specific deep sockets to do the job right, and there aren’t many of them for sale and they all cost a lot! If you do find them, they’re likely to be 3/4 inch drive, so you’ll need a torque wrench in the same size to do them up correctly.
I removed mine with standard 3/4" drive sockets and a 1/2" adaptor. I went into a commercial vehicle workshop and persuaded a mechanic to lend them to me.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline beech

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus Hexcone
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 10:18:42 pm »
Bought 3/4" sockets and welded a portion of the back of 1/2" sockets to them. They fit and are not too tall. I'm lucky to have a very large vice to put the wheel carrier in padded with wood. Takes me about 4 or 5 hours to do the complete job. Be careful tightening up that 7mm hex allen to 90 Nm. I stop before that as it is about to strip.
beech
K1300S
S1000R

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 04:57:26 pm »
Parts and labour cost here around 350€ ,but am in Greece.  I find charges of UK official dealers are unbeliavebly stinky. Like they want to sent costumers away.
FRAP will do fine. 6 years now and 40000 kms no issues , finding a local mechanic with good skills sounds the best idea.
Embrace the wind.