Author Topic: Coolant  (Read 3173 times)

Offline CrazyDave

• View Profile
    • BigBikeMad
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Too many to list
Coolant
« on: May 28, 2020, 12:22:18 pm »
Just wondering if anyone knows of a supplier that sells a suitable coolant for a K1300 in a 4 litre or larger container.

I'll be doing this job soon and it seems it needs almost 3 litres (so want some spare). A larger container would also make it easier to vacuum fill...

PS I'm assuming most people will use Castrol Coolant? :-\

Thanks

Dave
Bigbikemad Channel

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Coolant
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 12:36:37 pm »
Assumptions can be dangerous Dave  ;D ;D

Andym535

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 01:50:12 pm »
You can get a 5L bottle of spring water from Sainsburys for about £1 £1.10. I used one of those (the bottle not the contents) for mixing coolant to Vac fill my car. It's clear so you can see what's happening and flat bottomed so you can perch it on a step ladder. The K only needs about 2.5L I think.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-caledonian-still-water-5l-6731645-p-44
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 01:57:39 pm by Andym535 »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 03:26:36 pm »
I've never risked anything other than the BMW stuff in mine Dave.

With all the head cracking (bikes, not mine) going on way back and bubbles forming, the outlay on a couple of litres of BMW coolant additive every few years is neither here nor there.

K1300rider

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 10:29:40 pm »
Glysantine G48 Basf, that is the same content  as in Bmw bottle of coolant.
Eurolub D48 extra also work , it has the correct spec. Promeister G48 pro as well. Demineralzed/destilled water for mixing and then this bit of kit for the filljob.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Radiator-Cooling-System-Vacuum-Purge-Coolant-Refill-Tool-Kit-Set/324166917515?hash=item4b79da9d8b:g:x8UAAOSwdkVevkkZ

Offline CrazyDave

• View Profile
    • BigBikeMad
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 09:18:36 am »
You can get a 5L bottle of spring water from Sainsburys for about £1 £1.10. I used one of those (the bottle not the contents) for mixing coolant to Vac fill my car. It's clear so you can see what's happening and flat bottomed so you can perch it on a step ladder. The K only needs about 2.5L I think.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-caledonian-still-water-5l-6731645-p-44

Good idea thanks.

Dave
Bigbikemad Channel

Offline CrazyDave

• View Profile
    • BigBikeMad
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 09:25:51 am »
Hi,

I say the Castrol coolant because that's the correct spec and I assume its correct to use because that's what Motor works and Nippy Norman both supply for the bike.

Capacity is apparently 2.7 litres.

I've bought the vacuum unit (Sealey) and a Black and Decker compressor and will post the video when done.Wish me luck! ::)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078FHHBFL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001K48LWY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Many helpful comments - thanks. :D

Bigbikemad Channel

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 09:04:05 pm »
Some folks spend so much time trying to save 40p (€45.5) that I wonder how they can afford to put fuel in their bike.

Heating oil anyone?

K1300rider

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 09:50:50 pm »
Some folks spend so much time trying to save 40p (€45.5) that I wonder how they can afford to put fuel in their bike.

Heating oil anyone?

If you buy bmw bottles, do you ride around with a extra bottle? Why not? If you need to top up and dont know the clrrect spec and wich brands that has it your only option is to tow the bike. Know what is neede and you can fix it and keep riding.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 11:40:28 pm »
You will only need to top up if something breaks.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.