Author Topic: Got a French speeding fine  (Read 3992 times)

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
Re: Got a French speeding fine
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 06:30:19 pm »
It IS illegal indeed (in France). Of course, if you install them in your GPS with the picture of a radar, it draws attention. OTOH, if you just give them a meaningless blue dot, it'll need a more-than-average smart cop...
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 06:32:34 pm »
I thought it was against French law to have a speed camera warning feature enabled on a navigation device?
Or am I just becoming (more) paranoid?

It's illegal to be speeding just as well, Richard ;)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 07:10:19 pm »
It IS illegal indeed (in France). Of course, if you install them in your GPS with the picture of a radar, it draws attention. OTOH, if you just give them a meaningless blue dot, it'll need a more-than-average smart cop...

Ah, thanks for confirming, Philippe.
In the UK (and maybe Belgium?) the logic is that if you know the camera is there you'll slow down = less accidents. Jone done!

Some of the UK police forces publish where they will be placing mobile cameras too, day by day. For example:
https://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/safety-camera-partnership/mobile-speed-camera-locations

In France it seems rather more mercenary...

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 03:12:10 pm »
Always take a good lock with you when riding through France.

8) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant, lock on order.

A few years ago I went to order a device called the " Flip Tip "   http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/fliptip.htm
You needed to have seen the camera to operate it though.

Unfortunately the company had ceased trading.

Out of interest Tom, have you ever been stopped for the obscured number plate with the lock strategically placed.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 03:18:29 pm »

Ah, thanks for confirming, Philippe.
In the UK (and maybe Belgium?) the logic is that if you know the camera is there you'll slow down = less accidents. Jone done!

Some of the UK police forces publish where they will be placing mobile cameras too, day by day. For example:
https://www.nottinghamshire.police.uk/safety-camera-partnership/mobile-speed-camera-locations

In France it seems rather more mercenary...

...and, all UK camera van sites are, by law, in the public domain.
Fixed speed and traffic light violation cameras are not.

And of course, the police can and do set up manual laser-gun speed traps anywhere they please. The only defence in the UK is the hope that the two police cars we have are in Wales or Scotland when we English are out and about.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 04:41:49 pm »
Always take a good lock with you when riding through France.

8) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Brilliant, lock on order.

A few years ago I went to order a device called the " Flip Tip "   http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/fliptip.htm
You needed to have seen the camera to operate it though.

Unfortunately the company had ceased trading.

Out of interest Tom, have you ever been stopped for the obscured number plate with the lock strategically placed.

Yes I have been stopped, but they have got to prove you put it there to cover your plate, in the past I put chain lube and brake dust on it and another time black tape, with these I got stopped at lights and even in a cafe car park and told to clean it off before going any further, no fine  ;D, the lock I have had on for more than 5 years now and when going out of the country I get asked to move it to one side so they can check my reg number   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D never told to take it off. If you are on the move you don't need to stop  8) 8) ;D .
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul