Author Topic: Replacing k1300 discs  (Read 5771 times)

Offline Biffarich

• View Profile
Replacing k1300 discs
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:49:43 pm »
Hi. I need to replace the discs on my k1300.
Can someone please tell me the torque settings for both front and rear discs?
Can the rear disc be removed easily with the wheel flange still in place?

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Replacing k1300 discs
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 05:33:41 pm »
According to my Reprom the front disc to wheel is 19nm in stages and a diagonal opposite sequence.

Rear disc to wheel carrier is initial torque of 12nm with a final torque of 30nm in a diagonal opposite sequence.

No need to remove the rear wheel carrier. Not an easy job to remove rear wheel carrier as a special heating plate is required. If you do remove it you will have to replace it because it should not be refitted.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Biffarich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:11:53 pm »
Thanks for your reply

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 08:31:25 pm »
I have just replaced mine with s/h ones.
I cleaned the threads in the wheel and bit the bullet and bought new bolts as the shoulder of the bolts had worn .015 in.
I had previously bought a set of taps and dies from Lidle thinking the could be useful sometime. A good move.
My discs were within the limits on thickness but it was the movement on the bobbins that was excessive. Maybe I could have got away with just the new bolts?
I bought the s/h hand discs from Sherlock's.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 08:34:34 pm by drumwrecker »
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

gibbo

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:34:56 am »
Each to their own I suppose, but I wouldn't contemplate fitting s/h braking components or tyres etc. Save a bit of cash, maybe but how much do you value your life......  :(

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 10:14:44 am »
Each to their own I suppose, but I wouldn't contemplate fitting s/h braking components or tyres etc. Save a bit of cash, maybe but how much do you value your life......  :(

After the first journey on your bike, all components are second hand!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 10:32:22 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 12:19:57 pm »

Especially the owners  ;)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 09:02:57 pm »

Sherlock are a reputable BMW spares supplier both s/h and new.
I looked another set of s/h discs for sale on their site and come with a six months guarantee and they are from an older bike than the pair I bought.
Front brake is working very well.
I'm happy with that.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

gibbo

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 10:14:28 am »

Maybe, but at least I know the history of them.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 01:39:30 pm »

What history would you be worried about with regards brake disks? if they are damaged it will be spotted.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

gibbo

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 09:50:28 am »

What history would you be worried about with regards brake disks? if they are damaged it will be spotted.

I think I'd like to know whether the discs had been removed from a crashed bike. And of course there's room for bulls**t in that question. There could also be hairline cracks that cannot be seen by the human eye. It's pure common sense (my opinion only) to replace old brake components with new. It's just not worth the risk.  ;)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 10:55:09 am »

I think I'd like to know whether the discs had been removed from a crashed bike. And of course there's room for bulls**t in that question. There could also be hairline cracks that cannot be seen by the human eye. It's pure common sense (my opinion only) to replace old brake components with new. It's just not worth the risk.  ;)

If you were to buy a second hand bike, would you replace all the disks?

Your existing disks could have a hairline crack! How would you know? Most cracked disks I've seen have been as a result of "proper use", not accident damage!

Risk management is always a good idea but realistic risk assessment is a very important part of risk management.

Still, if you're happy not buying S/H disks then that's fine for you.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 11:09:53 am »
What, David you're not telling us that you don't change discs, pads, tyres, grips (don't want second hand sweat) etc. when you get a second hand bike, tut tut you are so wreckless  :o ???

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 11:16:29 am »
What, David you're not telling us that you don't change discs, pads, tyres, grips (don't want second hand sweat) etc. when you get a second hand bike, tut tut you are so wreckless  :o ???

On BMWs it's likely they've all been changed under warranty anyway!!!! :D

On Japanese bikes those parts never fail so I don't bother changing them! :D :D :D