Author Topic: Garage Door Advice Request  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Garage Door Advice Request
« on: January 17, 2019, 07:14:08 pm »
Hello team,

I have a single garage, with a flat roof, joists being ~2.3m high. Width is about 2.5m for what it's worth.

I want to have a garage door on there with the following high level requirements:
  • Is 'secure' ('secure by design' if that's best
  • Can be opened with a remote when outside on the bike
  • Has at least some degree of insulation/thermal properties. It's never going to be a lived in room, but better than 3mm of steel or whatever

I'll post Bri's great response from the 2019 thread below, which was very useful, although the internet suggests I need more height for a roller.

So, does anybody have recommendations or even better experience of making this incredible dream a reality? :)
I've so far seen Hormann & Garador, which the internet says are related, with Hormann possibly being the parent.

As an added extra I have an old side door I need to make equally secure (otherwise half the purpose is defeated), and finally the back of the garage needs... well, brickwork and a door wide enough to fit a bike through - so probably a bi-fold, my neighbour's builder suggested!

Aluroll Classic Roller...

https://arridgegaragedoors.co.uk/aluroll-classic-insulated-automatic-roller-garage-door-

...with plip opening, alarm and anti-jack mechanism.

Fully fitted by Paul's Doors of Hereford, £1,600. Old door and frame removed and disposed of, piers made good, mechanism fitted on inside face etc. etc.

It has a safety edge on the bottom so if it hits you or the bike (mine did when I forgot I hadn't put it away) it stops and reverses slightly. This is much better than the radio wave 'mesh' system that stops the door if you try to get out while it is closing.

This is one of Aluroll's 'Secure by Design' doors which counts for a lot in the security world.

Of course, it doesn't stop the tea leaves taking the new garage roof off and shimmying in that way; that's what the alarm system is for  8)

I was going to get an ebay special, fitted for £700, but when the guy came and showed me what you get, I decided I needed their £1,200 version. When Paul came round and showed me the Aluroll and gave me the quote for £1,600 I ripped his arm off. Then I had to  lend him a hand to install it..ba boom!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Garage Door Advice Request
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 09:09:47 pm »
The Secure by Design website is here...

https://www.securedbydesign.com/members/

...with the Aluroll page here...

https://www.securedbydesign.com/members/aluroll-limited/

I'll measure my joist height on Saturday and let you know how much you need above the top of the door opening.

Here...

https://www.aluroll.co.uk/t77-classic-roller-garage-door

...is the standard height of the housing 'box' that goes above the door. 360mm is the tallestbut you don't say how tall your door opening is but you can work out if you have enough clearance from the table half-way down the page.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 10:09:43 pm »
For £1600 if I lived next door I'd come and open it for you on command.  :)

There are so many fun life-enhancing things you can do with £1600.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:46:17 am »
Automatic garage doors are great  :)

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 09:39:19 am »
"As an added extra I have an old side door I need to make equally secure (otherwise half the purpose is defeated), and finally the back of the garage needs... well, brickwork and a door wide enough to fit a bike through - so probably a bi-fold, my neighbour's builder suggested!"

Nothing stopping you putting one on the back as well - they can be made in most widths and may not be much difference in cost. I had this on one of mine and was pretty handy, you put both doors up and just ride straight through if you wanted.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 11:22:01 am »
Think I'll wait 'til I get a garage first :D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 03:46:28 pm »
For £1600 if I lived next door I'd come and open it for you on command.  :)

There are so many fun life-enhancing things you can do with £1600.

For £1,600 I wouldn't touch it. It fell on the head of the previous owner twice before she had it 'professionally repaired' by a local chappy. Two big wood screws through the head rail into bare mortar in the brick above...

And having an auto garage door is one of the many fun life-enhancing things you can do with £1,600.

And, even if I paid you to open it, the vets bills for your head would be massive and it still wouldn't be secure, or warm, or draughtproof or even automatic while you were in intensive care 8)