Author Topic: HP foot rests.  (Read 5129 times)

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
HP foot rests.
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:51:47 pm »
They are lovely to look at but when your wearing shorts to get the bike out they really make a mess of your shins when your not careful. 😬

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: HP foot rests.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 06:53:08 pm »
I doubt normal trousers would stave off the rash...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:51:02 pm »
Only ever had one bike with solid alloy footrests. They eat through the bottom your boots after about 2 years.
Look lovely and butch though.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 11:14:19 am »
I did notice after i got the Motorsport that pedalling the bike backwards into my parking space is more difficult as the pegs don't fold like on the standard!  I guess i could learn how to move it when not on it, but that's for when i have to move it around a tiny garage i guess!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 02:26:15 pm »
Well one thing's for sure, I ain't big enough to manoeuvre mine when I'm not on it unless it is on a perfectly flat, hard surface and even then I struggle.

I called into the Post Office on the way back home yesterday. It is at the end of a cul-de-sac with a hammer-head turning area. I've been there a gazillion times in the car but this was the first time on the bike. I stopped with my front tyre touching the kerb across the head of the T, kicked down the stand, posted the letter, got back on and couldn't budge the bike so much as an inch. It was only the invisible 'crown' of the head of the T that I was pointing down, so slight I couldn't even detect it but I could not move the bike back.

Eventually an old guy and his even older wife took pity on me and pushed me back enough to get under way! Talk about embarrassed, not to mention hot and sweating from the exertion 😅 

The couple got a round of applause from the gaggle of schoolgirls giggling at my predicament.

You would have thought that I would have learned, back in the day when bikes were much lighter, never to park nose down after parking an Isetta bubble car nose down into a parking space up against the RAF hanger where I worked.

Front opening door, no reverse gear and the laughing stock of the squadron for hours till someone hoiked me backward to let me out.

Not quite as daft as the co-owner of said car who had cause to get out and get underneath when the handbrake wouldn't release having parked it on a slope in the high street in Calne in Wiltshire. Of course, as soon as he unstuck the partially seized cable crank the car rolled forward and trapped him underneath it. If it hadn't been for my soon-to-be mother-in-law who worked in the shop he had just been in, he would probably be there still.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 09:51:14 am »
Well see a 16GT would be handy in that situation don't you agree?
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 09:59:45 am »
It did cross my mind  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 03:26:20 pm »
Well see a 16GT would be handy in that situation don't you agree?

And a 16GT would be extremely useful in the situation I got into about 20 years ago on this lovely dead end in Shrewsbury:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Shrewsbury/@52.7093582,-2.7499706,3a,60y,92.19h,77.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9y_yYEj47nu70bYSmByqgg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x486f7655f4dc15c3:0x6ed7820778d6cdc4!8m2!3d52.7073029!4d-2.7553268!6m1!1e1

The street view doesn't do justice to how steep and narrow it is, but the brick courses on the walls give the game away.

I managed to paddle round in something like an 11-point turn with the right leg only. Even with my gangly legs my downhill leg couldn't reach the floor. But this was on a tall Laverda with alloy footrests (just keeping with the thread!).
Nerve racking - you have quite a long time concentrating on not falling over.

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 07:40:15 pm »
My major problem is i cannot wheel a motorcycle with one hand on the bars and the other on the saddle. When i took mine for an MOT I got there as the guy was opening and he had to wheel about a dozen bikes out of all various models, sizes and ages, every single one he just wheeled out really quickly without any cares. I'm always afraid It's going to run away or hit something and it'll lose balance so i generally walk mine out as I sit on it

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 08:03:39 pm »
Feck Rich, never mind how you got in there, how the hell did you get out.....

Brian (who is normally extremely reluctant to go downhill if he can't see his way out  ::) )

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 10:25:31 pm »
I regularly wheel bikes backwards or forwards with one hand on the bars and the other hand on the pillion grab rail. Sometimes using the right hand and sometimes the left. I also sometimes wheel the bike in gear with the engine running.

A rider should be able to walk all round their bike supporting it with one hand without a stand down. This has to be part and parcel of owning a bike surely.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 11:44:45 am »
A rider should be able to walk all round their bike supporting it with one hand without a stand down. This has to be part and parcel of owning a bike surely.

Why?

I own a bike and don't/can't/won't do it! So it obviously isn't part and parcel etc.

Since getting my licence in 1964 I have not once had the need or the urge to walk all around any bike supporting it with one hand without a stand down. If I decide I need to do circus acts, I'll join a circus.

Next time I get the urge or have the need, I'll call you  ;D

Brian (who can walk all around his car supporting himself with one hand without a stand down  8) )

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 12:19:25 pm »
Feck Rich, never mind how you got in there, how the hell did you get out.....

Brian (who is normally extremely reluctant to go downhill if he can't see his way out  ::) )

Easy - stupdity! I cocked up on the I of IPSGA:
- missed the dead end sign
- didn't spot the bars beyond the arch just as I went past the last turning point

If I remember rightly, I only just overshot the turning point. Doubly annoying. A lot of cussing.

Offline Ned1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 12:42:03 pm »

Why?

I own a bike and don't/can't/won't do it! So it obviously isn't part and parcel etc.

Since getting my licence in 1964 I have not once had the need or the urge to walk all around any bike supporting it with one hand without a stand down. If I decide I need to do circus acts, I'll join a circus.

Next time I get the urge or have the need, I'll call you  ;D

Brian (who can walk all around his car supporting himself with one hand without a stand down  8) )

WOW, watch the old blood pressure, Mr Phmode ............Think you'll find its a I.A.M. thing
Ride like they are out to kill you and live to ride another day

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 01:30:28 pm »
If so, how many of them have ever needed to do it in real life? It seems like a massive lack of planning on someone's part.

I know it is part of the BMW off-road skills course and to be honest, if it was one of their GS's rather than my bike, I would be happy to drop it a dozen times till I got the hang of it  8)

Brian (whose blood pressure is so low they have to check it twice  8) )