Author Topic: Good bye old friend  (Read 842 times)

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
Good bye old friend
« on: December 11, 2023, 08:32:22 pm »
I bought my K1300GT on 3 January 2011. After nearly 13 years and 124,980 trouble free  miles I have decided that the time has come for a change so today I put a deposit down on a very reasonably priced 2022 K1600 GT SE with all the bells and whistles. It will take a couple of weeks to raise the full asking price so should be on the road in 2 to 3 weeks’ time.

As the K1300’s age and mileage do not meet with BMW’s requirements I have had to sell the bike privately and the motor trader rode it away this afternoon.

A very sad day but I am eagerly anticipating the turbo charged flying armchair and new adventures next year. Christmas eh? Best time of the year to pick up a bargain motorbike 8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Good bye old friend
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 09:26:53 pm »
Sad day indeed Tony...but a nice Xmas present to yourself eh?

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 09:43:52 pm »
Dealerships are always happy to see your money for maintenance. But if it comes to buying your second hand K1300S after spending all that money, they're not very interested. Then it sounds like (imagine the dealer's face as if he's in big pain) "Unfortunately, the K1300S is a very difficult bike to sell second hand, you know"...

Hence very unlikely I'll ever buy a BMW again.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 10:53:00 pm »
Dealerships are always happy to see your money for maintenance. But if it comes to buying your second hand K1300S after spending all that money, they're not very interested. Then it sounds like (imagine the dealer's face as if he's in big pain) "Unfortunately, the K1300S is a very difficult bike to sell second hand, you know"...

Hence very unlikely I'll ever buy a BMW again.

In fairness BMW sold me the K1600 at a very competitive price. Only 1.5 years old, 5,600 odd miles and nearly £10,000 off the price new for an identical bike. Furthermore the motor trader was very generous and gave far more than BMW ever would.

As Brian said, all in all it has been a very nice Christmas present to myself.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 11:24:29 am »
However, if the K series had been built like a Hondasakiha, then a pristine 125,000 mile bike sitting on their forecourt would be a great advert for the longevity and durability of their brand and would doubtless sell more bikes to well impressed punters on the basis of that alone.

Oh, hang on, a couple of words in there that don't quite fit right with BMW Motorrad... :adolf2:

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 11:49:03 am »
Not so much sad as impressive!

What were the highs and lows in that 'just 20 miles short of 125,000' ownership - for other K / GT owners?

Since you've stuck with BMW, many more highs I guess!

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 06:22:57 pm »
Not so much sad as impressive!

What were the highs and lows in that 'just 20 miles short of 125,000' ownership - for other K / GT owners?

Since you've stuck with BMW, many more highs I guess!
;D

The highs were lapping the Mountain Course in 20 minutes, the lows were waking up in a bit of a sweat  ;) :) ;)p

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 08:04:05 pm »
If it’s got the TFT screen make sure they do the software update. And get a service plan if you plan on doing 6k miles or more a year. Once you get used to the weight they’re great bikes.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 10:29:24 pm »
If it’s got the TFT screen make sure they do the software update. And get a service plan if you plan on doing 6k miles or more a year. Once you get used to the weight they’re great bikes.

Details here:
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/Offers/service_inclusive.html#/section-service-inclusive-pricing

> Service Inclusive packages can be purchased with a new or used BMW motorcycle* or at any time afterwards up until the motorcycle is 10 years old.

Basially it's a winner if you're reasonably sure you're going to keep the bike for 3 / 5 years.
If for some reason you sell it early, the service package goes with the bike, so you can ask for a little more for the bike, and it's not a total loss.

It's the one thing BMW sells that saves you money rather than costs you money.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 08:01:40 am »
The price has gone up a but, it was 700 and something for 3 years for my K16 in April. The service for my K13 was £220, including the final drive oil change. I didn’t get a service plan for that, because it’s too old and I only manage about 2.5k a year. Apparently service plans do include the valve check at 18k as long as you’ve done the mileage, so still a good deal. The only way to really lose seems to be if the bike is written off; the service plan is linked to the bike, so won’t transfer to a replacement.

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2023, 06:45:16 pm »
To let you all know I am buying the 5 year service plan for £1,460 so less than 300 quid per service. Not too shabby when you take into account the fact that it is a year and a half old so has already had its first service. This means that I will get two 18,000 services in the deal!! As the salesman said, I would have to be complete fool not to take advantage of his offer unless I do not intend holding on to the bike

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 10:21:27 pm »
Good work!  :thumbsupgood:

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2023, 01:20:46 pm »
... This means that I will get two 18,000 services in the deal ...

And each time it is six spark plugs at £42 each before anything else. A really good move if you do the miles and will keep her for 5 years. :thumbup:

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2023, 06:52:44 pm »
... This means that I will get two 18,000 services in the deal ...

And each time it is six spark plugs at £42 each before anything else. A really good move if you do the miles and will keep her for 5 years. :thumbup:

I certainly intend to!!