Author Topic: What, you've never crashed on your bike...  (Read 721 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
What, you've never crashed on your bike...
« on: October 18, 2023, 09:09:30 am »
...nope, it won't let me! WTF?

https://www.advrider.com/the-war-on-crashing/

...and there is a gratuitous K bike mention in there too.

I don't know if this article made me feel slightly better about my future riding or way, way worse! Still, it won't all happen in my lifetime    :adolf_reduced:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 09:15:03 am by Phmode »

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Re: What, you've never crashed on your bike...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 09:44:33 am »
Thanks for the link. This got me thinking about a little thing that happened a few times over the years, and I'm not sure if it's me or the bike.
Under very hard acceleration in a low gear I've had a complete cut in power for maybe a half second, then back on. Is this a violent traction control thing, or perhaps my foot touched the gear lever causing the power cut? I've not ever experienced a gentle throttling back by traction control, which is what I've assumed from reading various stuff.
I'd appreciate any expert comments, just so I know more.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 10:27:21 am »
Being a very slow wimp, I have never triggered the traction control apart from on the odd spot of diesel at relatively slow speed, so I can't help you there.

The ABS however, has saved my no claims bonus on a couple of occasions down the years. The first time on the K12 when I was overtaking a 911 on the Newbury by-pass northbound and found myself at the start of the off slip road, which despite having lll - ll - l marker boards is about 150 metres run in to the shortest off ramp in the world with a 90° left at the end of it. Thank you for that Mr BMW. Many, many others have ended up in the barriers there and more than a few in the hospital and one in the morgue.

The second was a slow crash stop after allowing my gaze to follow a cute young thing in a drop top mini going the other way only to see the car in front had decided to turn right with no indication. Yup, it works at slow speed too.

There are times, few as they may be, when the tech does have its uses...but AI controlled steering may be a gizmo too far for me.

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 11:44:53 am »
Being a very slow wimp, I have never triggered the traction control...

I thought the same... I've never really noticed it doing much on the K13. I don't notice on the K16 either, but if I look at the ride data in the BMW Connected app the ASC is doing its thing occasionally. I guess the brave /stupid thing to do would be to turn it off and see what happens then.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 01:12:05 pm »
A sadly frightening article. I think motorcycling will be a "top priority" for those who are determined to save us from ourselves. :(

Given that it is not possible for the systems developers to eliminate every risk (my Bambi encounter was not even "on the radar" until Bambi was less than 20ft away from me, cutting directly across my path at full tilt) then we have yet to see what happens when someone in an accident sues the vehicle manufacture because the system didn't save them. The ramifications from that will have a big impact (no pun intended) on the direction of this technology.

As for K1300S traction control, it is most definitely not subtle! It simply cuts the power for about half a second to allow the wheel to regain grip then feeds the power back in with a bang. Given the cabled throttles, I assume it just cuts sparks and/or fuel before turning them back on again.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 05:00:32 pm »
Still, it won't all happen in my lifetime

Good news! You can arrange that yourself by hooning along regardless of impending hazards.  :o

And traction control on a K: I've managed it twice on wet white lines and also wet heavily worn tarmac. It wasn't unpleasant, but you do have re-assess what you were doing - overtaking in my case. Both my own fault for not reading the road conditions better.  :-[

I'd happily live without TCS, but ABS on the other hand, is more vital. One saves you from the nut behind the bars, the other from the nut behind the wheel.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 05:25:11 pm »
The TCS on the K is very "agricultural" and I can understand why you feel you can live without it. On the H2 SX it's a whole different ball game. Riding enthusiastically, cranked over and having some fun, the light will occasionally flash to tell you it's stepped in to help out but other than the flashing light, you'd be completely unaware. Exactly how you'd want it to be! :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2023, 05:29:17 pm »
Thanks for the TCS comments guys, glad it's the bike TCS cutting the power rather than me doing something wrong. It's quite sudden and brief, isn't it! Some great K knowledge on here.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 04:55:58 pm »
I think we are luckily gong to be saved from ourselves. The powers that be are thinking that as we are more vulnerable we need to travel slower  :police:

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/europe-proposes-slower-speed-limits-motorbikes-cars

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2023, 06:20:36 pm »
Bring back Bangerman(n)...can't remember the furrin spelling. A K, especially an R would look a-ma-zing with huge leg-protectors  :thumbsup:

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2023, 09:03:44 pm »
One day maybe we'll all remember that life isn't just about living the longest, but actually the experiences.

Yay I lived to 200 by sitting in my house and never leaving. Or moving. Or eating because I could choke.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2023, 11:17:45 am »
"Live quite fast, die not too young."

Back on thread, the trouble with anti-crash systems is that it takes the fun (i.e risk) away, which people - bizarrely - crave and avoid in equal measure.
People will then try to test the limits of the anti-crash systems. Bit like kids stepping out in front of Teslas.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2023, 12:08:24 pm »

This is the real issue. People are too willing to take the simple and obvious solution.

There is a complete dichotomy of requirements between those who see road vehicles only as a method of getting from A to B and those who want the experience of getting from A to B in/on a read vehicle.

Sadly, I think the first group are the majority. :(