Author Topic: Hi from Portugal  (Read 5991 times)

Offline cemartins

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1300 R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: ESA II, ASC, RDC, Quick-Shifter
Hi from Portugal
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:15:44 am »
Hello everybody and thank you for letting me in your club - I promise to behave :)

I commute by bike everyday and recently bought a K1300R. I am madly in love with this bike and very eager to absorb all things related to K bikes and fellow riders.

Seems that most of the people here are from the UK, so there is not much chance we meet in Cabo da Roca on Sunday mornings. But if you happen to ride near by Lisbon, I'll be happy to meet up. First pint is on me.

Cheers.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Hi from Portugal
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:07:27 am »
Hi Mr Martins and welcome to the forum.

I think that you will be the first on the members map from Portugal. I will wave in your direction when we pop over to the Picos next month.  ;)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Mike W

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR1300AE (2017)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:16:22 am »
Hello Martins and welcome to the forum from the Suffolk coast.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:25:47 pm by Mike W »

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 11:25:17 am »
Hi Martins and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub  8)

There are 19 of us invading the Picos the (advance party arriving on the 20th June), at least three of us from in the asylum here (David (black-k1), Tom (TomL) and myself (the madman), the remainder being a bunch of Old Gits!

David also has a house in Portugal (iirc) so you may bump into him, but not on the bike perhaps.

Brian (who thinks we only need Germany and perhaps Italy and we can claim to be really european)

PS If you goose around the world on the members map you will find we have members in the USofA, Canada, Greece (mornin Costas) and even down under in Oz. Also, we seem to have dozens of members who live on North Sea Oil Rigs (come on you idle sods, put your location in your profiles like what our latest members have managed to do so we know how much of the globe we have conquered  8) )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 12:01:32 pm »
Greetings fm the sunny at the other end Greece. Welcome to the most wonderful bunch of people forum. The downside is that we ride bikers but we try our best to make it comfortable and less demanding .
Embrace the wind.

Offline cemartins

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 03:46:55 pm »
Picos de Europa is really nice - the route from Santillana del Mar to Cangas de Onis on a  bike is out of this world. Also, don't forget to stop by San Sebastian on your way there for some really good tapas :)

Enjoy the trip

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 05:21:27 pm »
Hi mate, thought I recognised Oeiras. I lived in Parede and then Cascais for a while back in the early 90's, I was working in Estoril helping renovate an old Restaurant/bar. I still miss the commute to work, which involved walking along the beach pretty much for 2 or so km's. Hows the Av Marginal these days, was supposedly one of the most dangerous roads in Europe at the time, I came pretty close to binning a mates old Beemer RT a few times.

Anyway, Ate mais tarde! Though I think i used to say, Logo.  Tim
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Offline cemartins

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:29:56 pm »
Hi neighbour!!

Nice to know you've lived here, Tim. And you can still write good Portuguese too. The "linha de cascais" (what we call the train line along the marginal) is a nice place to live. And the marginal is now one of the safest roads - they put speed traps. No fines, but traffic lights that turn red if you exceed the speed limit. But here's a secret - bikes don't drop the lights. Only cars do. So if you're on the bike, you can still burn some rubber. Anyway, it still has the scenery and swerves that make for a nice ride on sunny days. SO when are you dropping by?! ;)

I bet South Wales has some very nice marginais as well.

Até logo.
Carlos

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 11:59:44 pm »
Marginais?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline cemartins

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 01:58:55 am »
Marginais like the marginal road here, not the other marginais :)

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:04:54 am »
Well hello Mr martins and a belated welcome to the K club I'm sure you'll more than enjoy the trials and tribulations and ramifications of our members! Some of whom, especially the admin and mods do not behave properly at the best of times. Even the EW has trouble keeping them under control!

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 12:47:32 pm »
Marginais like the marginal road here, not the other marginais :)

I think Tom meant to ask what a 'Marginal' was.

To me, being a pond-keeper, marginals are a type of plant that grow along the margins or shallow areas of a body of water.

Having just had an election here in UK, most of us are sick and tired of the mention of 'Marginals', which in electoral terms are 'seats' or areas of the country where no one party has a large advantage; it is marginal as to whether the current MP will be re-elected.

Marginals is not a word we understand in terms of roads.

Brian (who doesn't understand the use of most words  8) )
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 02:33:32 pm by Phmode »

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 01:53:49 pm »
The Avenue Marginal is the coast road that leaves Lisbon and heads up past Estoril onto Cascais. Sort of Lisbons Ocean Boulevard wouldnt you say Carlos?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:56:10 pm by Timbox »
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 02:35:17 pm »
......ah, so it is a little like marginal plants then; a road that follows the margin between land and water  ::)

Brian (who thinks the road is probably on the land, rather than in the water  8) 0

Offline Lolo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 04:06:04 pm »
Hi neighbour!!

Nice to know you've lived here, Tim. And you can still write good Portuguese too. The "linha de cascais" (what we call the train line along the marginal) is a nice place to live. And the marginal is now one of the safest roads - they put speed traps. No fines, but traffic lights that turn red if you exceed the speed limit. But here's a secret - bikes don't drop the lights. Only cars do. So if you're on the bike, you can still burn some rubber. Anyway, it still has the scenery and swerves that make for a nice ride on sunny days. SO when are you dropping by?! ;)

I bet South Wales has some very nice marginais as well.

Até logo.
Carlos

R1200GS 's do !!! it took me three villages to work out wht was happening  :-[