Author Topic: CARDO PACKTALK  (Read 2198 times)

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
CARDO PACKTALK
« on: March 27, 2022, 04:33:07 pm »
Hello All

I just bought a Cardo Pacltalk Duo set. Out of the box neither of the paired units react to voice commands, or VOX as Cardo call it. 
After several hours of faffery, me and the misses getting nowhere hot and bothered with our helmets on in the Lounge shouting at the units as per the included user manual, I contacted Cardo Support out of desperation. 
Two days later they responded "Oh yes you need to connect the units to your laptop and carry out firmware and software upgrades to each unit. You will then need to check the setting on the Cardo app to ensure that they are configured correctly and carry out the repairing process. Hopefully this will help". Oh and by the way "every body that buys these units has do do that" No mention of that in the supplied user manual!

In short, before I rant on further, has any body bought a Cardo Packtalk and it just works as it should.

Thanks
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
Re: CARDO PACKTALK
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 04:48:01 pm »
short answer...no.
we have a gang meeting in someones house every year to get our scalas sorted, then a small pre ride reset...and sometimes a mid ride one as well. two scalas are pretty simple and pair well but when you introduce a 3rd and 4th either the scalas or us are stretching our technical ability.
that said it's a testament to their worth that we keep doing it.... if someone did a course in how to use your scala i would go to it!!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 06:59:52 pm »
The first thing you should do with any intercom be it Cargo Sena or any other make is update the firmware.

Offline kfrogzx7

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K100rs & K13s Motorsport
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 07:13:00 pm »
The first thing you should do with any intercom be it Cargo Sena or any other make is update the firmware.

:thumbsup: Absolutely essential to get voice commands working with a Packtalk, unfortunately even the software update can be a faff to do, but once done it seems to work quite well.
K100rs : R1100s : R1150rs : R1200st : K1300s m/s

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 07:28:00 pm »

:thumbsup: Absolutely essential to get voice commands working with a Packtalk, unfortunately even the software update can be a faff to do, but once done it seems to work quite well.

Agree 100%.

It's now the normal for any technology to check the firmware version as soon as you get it home!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 10:55:28 am »
Good reminder. I'm doing my Sena somethingorother now. There's an update for the updater AND an update for the firmware. Updater still looks like my nan made it, but the firmware is 2 major versions, which brings hope/fear.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 11:03:41 am »
um... for the less computer amongst us, does a firmware update involve plugging the scala into the computer and going to the scala website?
or is it more complex than that?
just asking for a friend...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 11:14:04 am »
Good reminder. I'm doing my Sena somethingorother now. There's an update for the updater AND an update for the firmware. Updater still looks like my nan made it, but the firmware is 2 major versions, which brings hope/fear.

Spoke too soon, it's stuck at 9% for 15 minutes so far!

um... for the less computer amongst us, does a firmware update involve plugging the scala into the computer and going to the scala website?
or is it more complex than that?
just asking for a friend...

I haven't used Cardo but I imagine on their website under Support or something they'll have a link to a firmware updater type affair. After installing and running that it should give you the instructions, i.e. 1. plug in your device using usb, 2. click next, 3. update. 4. Remember that you have nobody to talk to :D

Ah here is a link for you, Cardo is for Scala yeah?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 11:18:10 am »
cardo is for scala , spot on. i'll have to give that a go. cheers matt, much more useful than my helmet fitment tips!!

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 12:30:44 pm »
As a future note to self or anyone else with a SENA 20S Evo (or similar):

When trying to do a firmware update plug the usb cable into a USB 2 socket on the pc as it doesn't work with the USB 3.0 for some reason. Symptoms being it doesn't recognise at all until you turn the device on (counter to the instructions in the updater) and then complains when trying to do the update that it "can't get status".

Offline NIBS

• Bubble up rubber down
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R & K1300S (both 2012)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ilmberger this and AC Schnitzer that.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 09:48:18 am »
Thanks for all the advice and comments.  In Summary then..

• Firmware updates are essential. 
  • Additional software updates likely.
  • Loading the Cardo phone app essential to enable checking of the parameters in the units. ie VOX on, Uk English etc etc.

While I agree the above are requirements, to get the latest firmware/software and fix any bugs, it should not be a prerequisite for the units to function as advertised. One could legitimately argue they aren't fit for purpose as sold out of the box, because they don't work.

The instructions do not make any mention of the above requirements in order to make the units operable. Neither does the 1/2 hour official Cardo instructional video on You Tube mention it!

I found this out after a lot of frustration and only after contacting Cardo support whom then sent me the information required.  This essential information should be in the instructions and the first thing you do after unboxing.

Tom Tom's require updating before use and its all in the instructions.

Just saying..... :thumbsup:
Prevoius bikes:-Ducati Scrambler 800 Urban Enduro, Aprilia Tuono Factory V41100, VFR800 Fi, K1300S, K1300R, YAMAHA MT10 sp, K1300R, K1200R, GSX1300 Hayabusa GEN1, GSXR1000k3, GSXR750Y2K, YAMAHA EXUP RU,NC30-VFR 400, GSXR600WW, XL600R, Z1B, GPZ1100B1, GPZ900R, GS550, Z1B, Z1A, GT380, GT185, FS1E.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2022, 05:11:25 pm »
Tye gang here is using mainly cardo systems , we have knowledge for all the models Sririt, freecom, slim, bold, black (me) and never had an issue. Reading the extented prosure that accompanies the product and you'll find all nessesary info there. Your remarks are correct most important the app for your cel that enables you to  all functions and an absolute necessity the updated firmware. Connection with other comms systems like sena and BMW systems is extremly easy.
Embrace the wind.