Author Topic: Cruise control - if anyone fancies it......  (Read 6292 times)

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2013 K1300S 30th Year
  • Modifications and add-ons:: LED indicators, LED H7 Conversion, HP Dash
Cruise control - if anyone fancies it......
« on: January 31, 2019, 06:16:13 pm »
Found this t'other day in case anyone has a burning desire for electronic cruise control on a 13S

https://www.mccruise.com/products/1009

I've seen a couple of lads trying to work out how to convert K13GT cruise onto an S but haven't seen it completed as yet - so this Aussie kit appears the only electronic option.

Never really missed cruise as I try to avoid motorways at all costs - and I don't think I'd use it much on A / B roads up in them thar hills.......

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Cruise control - if anyone fancies it......
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:26:31 pm »
Hey Zeus!

Over a grand for cruise? Buy a throttle lock for £60 and ride happy  ;D

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:34:34 pm »
Yeah I reckon I'd try the throttle lock first if I wanted cruise that badly, tho I can't imagine I'd use it much on a bike really.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 08:09:04 am »
The commercial boys selling throttle locks opportunistically (correct English, or too literally translated ?) call it a "cruise control", which it isn't : it's "just" a throttle lock, locking the throttle in a certain position, meaning that position itself is fixed, not your speed. Which doesn't mean it can't be useful, e.g. on longer highway routes towards a far-away holiday destination, to release the pressure on your right shoulder and right hand, albeit for a couple of seconds every now and then...

I hate this commercial selling terminology, kind of like selling exhaust fumes for fresh air.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 08:42:24 am »
I have to agree with the commercial selling "fumes". A throttle lock is definitely not the same as a cruise control. It's not just about the difference between maintaining a set speed vs. a set throttle position (think of average speed cameras on a section of road that undulates … ) but it's also about the way a cruise control can be turned off through use of brakes. That could be really useful in a sever "unplanned" situation.

I'd consider £1000 for a proper cruise control but wouldn't touch a throttle lock for £30.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 10:46:04 am »
Weeell!

I love cruise on my cars but wouldn't pay a penny extra for it on a bike.

The throttle lock however is fabulous. It certainly doesn't 'lock' the throttle. All it does is apply a little adjustable friction to the end of the twistgrip to hold it open against return spring pressure.

The whole purpose, for me, is to relieve wrist and arm ache on long motorway stints and keep me fresh. In any unplanned situation where I was flapping my hand about to stimulate circulation I'm in way bigger trouble than a stiffer twistgrip would cause; like no front brake (in my case, no brakes, period  ;) ).

With my hand on the twistgrip, my natural reactions to slowing is to close the throttle, not rely on the return springs to do it for me (doesn't everyone) and the additional friction of the 'lock' is undetectable to me.

I first used a 'lock' on my Honda CB900 way back when I fitted a large 'O' ring between the inner end of the twisgrip and the switchgear. Worked perfectly but was of course, permanently on...unless you fiddled with it a lot  8)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 12:11:02 pm »
Near £600 seems a lot to give your right wrist a rest.

;D
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:10:12 pm »
Where do you get the £600 from Ron?

Offline sitting_duck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 01:52:01 pm »
Where do you get the £600 from Ron?

It's what 1000 AUD (Oz dollars) is in GBP today (sans the vat and duty and shipping)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 08:49:57 pm »
Ah! I was doing a TomL speed-reading bit and didn't spot the Aus dollar bit  ::)

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 08:20:57 am »
£600 is still a lot of money. I would go for the throttle lock for a 1 minute break to give my arm and rest and 'shake it off' without slowing down, with added advantage of a powerful torquey engine the speed would hardly vary either...
I wonder if they'll bring out the Tesla auto pilot for bikes so you could just relax with a good book on your journey  ;D

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 09:17:22 am »
I bought one of these about 10 years ago and I've had it on every bike since, quick, easy and cheap. Best fiver I ever spent, even though I have cruise control on the FJR   ;)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 10:07:57 am »
Interesting that it is shown fitted partly over the bar end weight Rae. Like that, does it actually provide friction to hold the throttle open when you take your hand off the bar?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 10:49:07 am »
The fact that it's over the bar end was just coincidental, I have mine fully on the grip so cannot comment on the friction grip factor.
I wouldn't be without it.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 11:07:33 am »
On my K, I had a Kaoko too (throttle lock). On my current VFR, I 3D- designed and 3D- printed one myself... For those rare occasions I'll ever need it (i.e. : on these long highway straits), it 'll do  8)
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...